21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 6:32 Quote
mtbwillems wrote:
Pitty the cascade link isn't optimized for mullet set-up.

You can get the WRP yoke that will allow you to mullet and also use the cascade link. Pricey, but it is doable

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 7:56 Quote
With all this talk of the Cascade link, I know that the official Specialized stance is that installing this will void the warranty. Has anyone experienced issues with this first hand or known someone who had a frame failure or other breakage as a result and had to navigate this?

I know the guy I bought my Stevo from and ride with him occasionally. He is a longstanding Specialized dealer and I have no doubts that he would tow the company line if it came down to it... This is why I haven't gone this route yet.

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 8:22 Quote
If you're concerned about the warranty just buy the black link so your buddy doesn't notice then swap back the stock link if anything ever happens.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 8:38 Quote
mtbwillems wrote:

If you're made out of money, you can run it together with the Williams mullet yoke, it's supposed to be a great setup. I just prefer wagon wheels on both ends.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 8:40 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
With all this talk of the Cascade link, I know that the official Specialized stance is that installing this will void the warranty. Has anyone experienced issues with this first hand or known someone who had a frame failure or other breakage as a result and had to navigate this?

I know the guy I bought my Stevo from and ride with him occasionally. He is a longstanding Specialized dealer and I have no doubts that he would tow the company line if it came down to it... This is why I haven't gone this route yet.

Seems like just riding an EVO voids the warranty. Spesh seems to rarely, if ever find themselves at fault with issues on this frame.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 8:58 Quote
will the Specialized mullet yoke work with Cascade Link? Surely it must if it works with the WRP link

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 9:39 Quote
mmarkey21 wrote:
bentin wrote:
mmarkey21 wrote:
What are you all trying to “fix” with the CC link?

The stock link is just weird, it's slow to get into initial travel, blows through the middle and last part of travel. The Cascade wakes up the front and stiffens up the middle.

Do you think that’s a DPX2 issue or the link? Seems like the Float X2 is supposed to have more midstroke support.

The DPX2 is $hit shock....the X2 with proper spacers and psi is awesome with the Cascade

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 9:40 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:

You simply swap your stock link back on if it came down to it....why wouldn't you?

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 9:47 Quote
Jedimtnbiker wrote:
mmarkey21 wrote:
bentin wrote:

The stock link is just weird, it's slow to get into initial travel, blows through the middle and last part of travel. The Cascade wakes up the front and stiffens up the middle.

Do you think that’s a DPX2 issue or the link? Seems like the Float X2 is supposed to have more midstroke support.

The DPX2 is $hit shock....the X2 with proper spacers and psi is awesome with the Cascade

I can confirm the first part.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 9:47 Quote
mtbwillems wrote:

buy the WRP link and it basically is.

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 11:07 Quote
Jedimtnbiker wrote:
Pdrenth wrote:

You simply swap your stock link back on if it came down to it....why wouldn't you?

One would think. In my case, since I ride with the LBS owner who sold my Stevo, he would know... But, if I didn't know him and the Cascade did in fact cause a breakage (doubtful but possible), then I swap the old link back on and it's in perfect condition but the frame miraculously broke... I dunno, I work in a role that I have to investigate warranty claims from time to time and I'm aware of the pains people take to cover their tracks. I'm sure that Specialized is familiar with the types of failures that occur on stock linkage vs how they occur on a cascade link. They've seen a thin or two and Specialized is notorious for blaming rider error whenever possible to get themselves out of a warranty claim.

Back to my original question, I'm genuinely curious if anyone has actually had a frame break AFTER installing a Cascade link. IF they experience a breakage, would they attribute this to the linkage or other factors? In my case, I'm not trying to just postulate and kick a dead horse. I'm in the market for a cascade link myself but in an interesting predicament that I couldn't fib to the LBS on a warranty claim.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 11:49 Quote
Most of the Stevo failures are rock strikes to the downtube, and Spesh doesn't seem to offer any coverage for those. So the Cascade link is a bit of a non factor in that. I run mine knowing that my frame may break and Spesh won't be there for me anyway. Supposedly they also claim that running a coil shock voids the warranty so I've considered one of those just to make sure to fully test their engineers if it does fail.

Worth noting that the install instructions for the Cascade have you cycle the shock with no pressure to make sure there is no interference, which would be the obvious issue if it was going to cause frame issues.

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 11:55 Quote
bentin wrote:
Most of the Stevo failures are rock strikes to the downtube, and Spesh doesn't seem to offer any coverage for those.

Is this a pretty common occurrence? And they don’t offer any sort of discounted replacement or anything?

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 11:56 Quote
[/Quote]

The DPX2 is $hit shock....the X2 with proper spacers and psi is awesome with the Cascade[/Quote]

I actually meant the Float X, not the X2. Either way it seems it’s a step up from the DPX2.

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 12:05 Quote
mmarkey21 wrote:
bentin wrote:
Most of the Stevo failures are rock strikes to the downtube, and Spesh doesn't seem to offer any coverage for those.

Is this a pretty common occurrence? And they don’t offer any sort of discounted replacement or anything?

Nuances... Saying that most of the failures are in a certain area due to a certain factor doesn't necessarily mean that it's common. Let's say that 50% of failures fell into this category, but only 1 out of 1,000 frames had a failure, this means that 1 in 2,000 frames has a downtube failure due to a rock strike. (arbitrary numbers)

Spesh offers a crash replacement price tier which is different than a warranty replacement. Crash replacement is typically just a discount on a new frame. Warranty would be a replacement at no cost.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007134
Mobile Version of Website