21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 12:57 Quote
Alot of carbon frames will crack with a decent smack to the lower downtube as most of the time its a spot thats thin as it doesnt see much stress.

Just remember, Carbon can easily be repaired.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 13:21 Quote
In Canada, my friend got a new frame and Specialized paid to get it fixed ($600) while waiting for the new one.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 15:57 Quote
Exactly. And I’ve been dragging mine through rocky terrain for a year and a half and it’s still fine. Failure rate seems pretty low, but it never hurts to pad the stock frame protection a little.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 6:56 Quote
bentin wrote:
Exactly. And I’ve been dragging mine through rocky terrain for a year and a half and it’s still fine. Failure rate seems pretty low, but it never hurts to pad the stock frame protection a little.

When i had mine, I added two layers of thick, double sided tape under the center of the protector, then i stuck on sticky craft foam to the outside of it. it had tons of dings in the foam. Makes me wonder how it would have fared with just the thin stock protector

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 8:32 Quote
I’ve had Effetto Shelter 1.2mm thick tape on all of my carbon down tubes. It is kind of “gummy” or squishy and dissipates energy. Expensive but awesome stuff. I’ve heard several rocks strike the down tube hard but can’t even see a mark on it.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 9:54 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
bentin wrote:

When i had mine, I added two layers of thick, double sided tape under the center of the protector, then i stuck on sticky craft foam to the outside of it. it had tons of dings in the foam. Makes me wonder how it would have fared with just the thin stock protector

Not very good. .2022 stevo destroyed only after 2 months at south nountain ,Az . I took a rock strike that shattered that cheap plastic guard.

When I took the guard off there was 3 major cracks. The factory stickers on the back side of the seat tube by the bottom bracket were all buckled up , showing masive flex of the frame.

I contacted a place on Oregon called ruckis or something lile that. Repair was going to be around 8 or 9 hundred painted. I was told when they got done it would be so much stronger at the downtube that it could cause more cracks where it flexed at the stickers .

Specialized would only sell me a complete frame set with shock for a crash replacement of 3200 minus the discount of 25 %. I just took a 2022 stumpy expert at dealet cost 4,650.

I dont understand why the stumpy has a pretty thick rubber guard , that does a great job of protecting the frame and the stevo uses such a cheap pieces of brittle plastic. FYI ! Warranty process was a bitch to deal with .

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 10:06 Quote
It's strange how they seem to price these crash replacement frames. I was told $2800 Canadian at first and I said forget it. The shop got back to me a few days later at $1300 (without a shock)

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 12:12 Quote
Apg2369 wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:
bentin wrote:

Not very good. .2022 stevo destroyed only after 2 months at south nountain ,Az . I took a rock strike that shattered that cheap plastic guard.

When I took the guard off the .

What trail on SoMo?

I cracked a carbon wheel on Telegraph about 6 months ago....carbon is going to give at some point. I've cracked 4 carbon wheels in the 9 years I've been rolling them. I've repaired 2 of the rims and 1 rim is on the wifes bike(uh-oh) Never a frame tho...shit happens.

Either spend the money now for extra protection or go through the hassle of warranty. I'd just get the frame repaired, you can do it yourself...its not that hard to do especially since we have the SWAT Box for easy access to both sides...!

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 18:08 Quote
HalfJewJace wrote:
My STEVO is running mullet with the OEM mullet link. EXT Storia Coil at 575lbs. Sag is spot on, but no surprise I blow through travel given the lack of progression.

Lots of great discussion here about the CC link to add progression and/or the WRP product to improve mulletness.

What about the simpler solution of a progressive spring like the Cane Creek Valt? Isn't this scenario exactly what those are for? Just hadn't seen any discussion and $100 solution rather than a $300+ solution seems more betterer.

Perhaps bad form to quote reply yourself, but thought it may be helpful.

I ended up going the “cheap” route of swapping my 575lb EXT spring for a 560-610lb progressive Sprindex spring. Messed around with a few other initial settings but ended up back at 580 on the Sprindex. The progressiveness of the spring certainly solved the ramp issues. I also swapped into high on the chainstay flip chip.

Just did a weekend of 11k ft descending through rocks, mud, soft berms, 3-4’ rock drops and it all felt excellent.

Perhaps the CC and WRP would be even better (more pop? more midstroke?) but for $140 the Sprindex and geo flip have yielded incredible improvements for me.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 15:58 Quote
HalfJewJace wrote:
HalfJewJace wrote:
My STEVO is running mullet with the OEM mullet link. EXT Storia Coil at 575lbs. Sag is spot on, but no surprise I blow through travel given the lack of progression.

Lots of great discussion here about the CC link to add progression and/or the WRP product to improve mulletness.

What about the simpler solution of a progressive spring like the Cane Creek Valt? Isn't this scenario exactly what those are for? Just hadn't seen any discussion and $100 solution rather than a $300+ solution seems more betterer.

Perhaps bad form to quote reply yourself, but thought it may be helpful.

I ended up going the “cheap” route of swapping my 575lb EXT spring for a 560-610lb progressive Sprindex spring. Messed around with a few other initial settings but ended up back at 580 on the Sprindex. The progressiveness of the spring certainly solved the ramp issues. I also swapped into high on the chainstay flip chip.

Just did a weekend of 11k ft descending through rocks, mud, soft berms, 3-4’ rock drops and it all felt excellent.

Perhaps the CC and WRP would be even better (more pop? more midstroke?) but for $140 the Sprindex and geo flip have yielded incredible improvements for me.

Interesting. I just purchased a Sprindex to go on my EXT Storia V3. 185lbs....600# EXT coil and I blew though travel a couple times, but barely, only on some sizable drops and bigger jumps. I have the Cascade Link and should be good to be able to dial it in for terrain I'm riding.

EXT / Suspension Syndicate can swap out compression dampener for you...they upgraded mine to the next one above the recommended 21/22 EVO one.

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 5:21 Quote
Hi guys ,
I have a '22 Stevo comp alloy w/ fox float X shock. Approx 91kg/200lbs with gear.
Im wondering what pressure/sag and spacers others at this weight are using?

Initially i had 278psi as per the calculator (which i think is wrong due to only 21' comp model being listed , different shock?) , approx 13mm/24% sag. Felt good on jumps and fast flowing trails , using most travel with only occasional bottom out or full travel on big things. A little firm and harsh on technical trails/rocks/bumps.

Have gone to 260psi (approx 27%/15mm , any less than this feels well too soft) it feels good , i think even a little more planted and stable , better in corners but now i can blow through the travel quite easily and bottom out more frequently. Is a larger volume spacer the way to go here? How often are you guys using full travel or bottoming out? Should i be setting it so it almost never uses full travel , only on big hits?

Cheers!

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 6:40 Quote
Disclaimer: my only experience was on the DPX2, not the Float X. I can tell you that on the DPX2, I found the 2nd from largest volume spacer to be right for my type of riding and weight (230lbs, chunk with occasional 2-3' drops/hits). The DPX2 was able to handle EITHER the jumps OR the chunk depending on pressure, but never both. I think the Float X is marginally better but from what I've read, it's not a massive improvement over the DPX2. Like a 10-15% improvement.

Being on the heavier end of the bell curve that the shock is tuned for, you and I can benefit from a more supportive tune to allow the damper to work better and not rely on spring rate for everything. To help with that coil-like feel, I added cushcore to my rear tire that allows the rear to track better on roots and let the shock take up bigger stuff. This is far cheaper than a new shock, and half the price of a shock tune. I recommend trying this first.

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 8:41 Quote
DirtSurfing wrote:
Hi guys ,
I have a '22 Stevo comp alloy w/ fox float X shock. Approx 91kg/200lbs with gear.
Im wondering what pressure/sag and spacers others at this weight are using?

Initially i had 278psi as per the calculator (which i think is wrong due to only 21' comp model being listed , different shock?) , approx 13mm/24% sag. Felt good on jumps and fast flowing trails , using most travel with only occasional bottom out or full travel on big things. A little firm and harsh on technical trails/rocks/bumps.

Have gone to 260psi (approx 27%/15mm , any less than this feels well too soft) it feels good , i think even a little more planted and stable , better in corners but now i can blow through the travel quite easily and bottom out more frequently. Is a larger volume spacer the way to go here? How often are you guys using full travel or bottoming out? Should i be setting it so it almost never uses full travel , only on big hits?

Cheers!

Im about your weight maybe a bit heavier somedays. I have the .7 spacer in with the cascade link and 245psi which seems to work well for me. i think my sag was 15-16mm. I considered messing around with the other spacers since the kit i bought has them all but .7 seems to be working well so i have not got around to it

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 9:47 Quote
Jedimtnbiker wrote:

Interesting. I just purchased a Sprindex to go on my EXT Storia V3. 185lbs....600# EXT coil and I blew though travel a couple times, but barely, only on some sizable drops and bigger jumps. I have the Cascade Link and should be good to be able to dial it in for terrain I'm riding.

EXT / Suspension Syndicate can swap out compression dampener for you...they upgraded mine to the next one above the recommended 21/22 EVO one.

I am actually in SLC and while I did get the EXT second hand, it does have the EVO tune—albeit obviously for a lighter rider as I've had to move well off the center position for both LSC and HSC. I'm 200lbs, but I'm thinking the increased leverage ratio with the CC requires you to have the higher spring rate? SS put me on the 575 and it does keep me right at ideal sag. Obviously, you may every well be sending it far deeper than I am but I'm generally pretty happy with where it's at!

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006756
Mobile Version of Website