21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 9:59 Quote
I’m 205 with gear and run around 260psi in the stock Float X. Haven’t touched whatever it came with regarding spacers and I’m pretty happy so far. I ride loose and rocky stuff here in Tahoe and smaller jumps drops (2-4 feet). Haven’t noticed any harsh bottoming out. Would maybe add a slightly larger spacer and drop a few psi for small bump stuff but really I’m pretty happy with it.

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 10:59 Quote
Im 95kg using 280psi on a 2022 expert with the FLOAT X, using .7 spacer setup. #4 on LSC for flow, open it up for anything else. Sag is irrelevant to me after the first day of ownership.
I can drop psi but i like the feel on the flow, any less spacers and ill be clanking onto the bottom.

its super poppy down the trail, rolls fast as, Can take the "to flat" landings lovely and smooth but the fast repetitive hits provides alot of feedback in the rear, im using a factory 36 thats kept fresh service wise and its butter now its stopped knocking.

For me, i need a bike to be supportive enough to handle bouncing down the trail and not getting all wallowy on me..

Currently have a cascade link on the way so i can remove some spacer volume - in return should provide nicer small bump but then be progressive enough for everything else.

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 17:16 Quote
I am sure this has been asked a million times, have a chance to demo a 2022 s4 evo expert, I am coming off a large 2017 Bronson cc with 35mm stem length, for the most part it has felt great, I have always thought a smidge more might feel better but happy, I am 5'11 1/2" without my bike shoes and 6' with shoes. can't find an s5 to demo now so was wondering what you all think, I am normal body type I think? about 33 inseam Ect ect. thanks for the help

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 18:05 Quote
MarkRFX wrote:
I am sure this has been asked a million times, have a chance to demo a 2022 s4 evo expert, I am coming off a large 2017 Bronson cc with 35mm stem length, for the most part it has felt great, I have always thought a smidge more might feel better but happy, I am 5'11 1/2" without my bike shoes and 6' with shoes. can't find an s5 to demo now so was wondering what you all think, I am normal body type I think? about 33 inseam Ect ect. thanks for the help

I’m pretty much the exact same size as you and I’m happy on my S4. If you’re going to be riding park a lot or you ride mostly steep demanding trails fast I’d recommend the S5 with a short stem.

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 20:07 Quote
MarkRFX wrote:

I'm 6' and ride and S4 with a 35mm stem.
Bike feels perfect

Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 20:28 Quote
Thanks guys, I am the typical all around rider, I seem to split my riding between both blue and black trails, prefer the downs more than anything else, I just did the calculator on specialized website that calculates knee to floor and floor to ankle measurements, and they put me s5, aaaargh!! I wish I had all the time to ride both but life is changing and I don't have that much time anymore, weird as I am at the smaller end of the size chart for s5
?

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 2:15 Quote
Thankyou guys for the responses regarding rear shock setup for 90kg+ , Might have a play with a larger spacer now too.

Anyone have 'creaking' issues too?! Fairly new bike , started creaking bad under hard pedalling. Pivots regreased, bb regreased, axle greased, torques checked , seatpost greased , shock bolts , pedals , chainring bolts etc etc. Blissful silence for 1-2 rides and its back! Found a similar creak when undoing rear axle (releasing tension from rear triangle/pivots maybe?) removed/cleaned/greased and some improvement but still evident. Any ideas?

Also , check your headsets fellas. Mine was full of crap after 5-6 rides, mostly lower cup. Seems the assembly is quite exposed to water/dirt.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 7:04 Quote
MarkRFX wrote:
Thanks guys, I am the typical all around rider, I seem to split my riding between both blue and black trails, prefer the downs more than anything else, I just did the calculator on specialized website that calculates knee to floor and floor to ankle measurements, and they put me s5, aaaargh!! I wish I had all the time to ride both but life is changing and I don't have that much time anymore, weird as I am at the smaller end of the size chart for s5
?

I'm 6'2" but have your same 33" inseam. I ride an S5, with a 50mm stem. It's perfect on nearly all trails, but the length does rear its head on really tight switchbacks, especially if there's a little elevation shift on one side. But with it setup with the chainstays in high and the headset in steep, it's actually really good at tight, windy trails and climbs fine for an FSR setup. Slack it out with the low setup and it's awesome for flow. It's a great bike for my needs and I'm happy with the size. I think if I'd done a regular Stumpy, I might have done an S4, but for the EVO, the S5 has been great.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 9:01 Quote
I lost the stock 64.5 headset cup. Does anyone know where I can buy one?

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 10:15 Quote
DirtSurfing wrote:
Thankyou guys for the responses regarding rear shock setup for 90kg+ , Might have a play with a larger spacer now too.

Anyone have 'creaking' issues too?! Fairly new bike , started creaking bad under hard pedalling. Pivots regreased, bb regreased, axle greased, torques checked , seatpost greased , shock bolts , pedals , chainring bolts etc etc. Blissful silence for 1-2 rides and its back! Found a similar creak when undoing rear axle (releasing tension from rear triangle/pivots maybe?) removed/cleaned/greased and some improvement but still evident. Any ideas?

Also , check your headsets fellas. Mine was full of crap after 5-6 rides, mostly lower cup. Seems the assembly is quite exposed to water/dirt.

check the yoke to shock, Theres a very small amount of movement there when everything is flexing.
Buy some thick white teflon grease for pivots, Doesnt wash out....

Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 10:41 Quote
Anyone know about putting the shorter s1/2/3/4 rear end on a s5?

It's the right sized bike for me but it's so bloody long! I'm curious to see what it would be like with the shorter back fitted if its possible

O+
Posted: Aug 20, 2022 at 12:43 Quote
mb23 wrote:
Anyone know about putting the shorter s1/2/3/4 rear end on a s5?

It's the right sized bike for me but it's so bloody long! I'm curious to see what it would be like with the shorter back fitted if its possible

I don’t know if that would even be worth it. I agree with you that the S5 sometimes feels too long, but I’d worry about throwing off the balance of the bike. One of the best things about the stevo is how incredibly balanced it is cornering, but if you ran the smaller chainstays, you’d have a relatively short rear center compared to a very long front center, with only a slightly shorter overall wheelbase.

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 11:46 Quote
For anyone curious. I’m 5’7” on an S2. I’ve had a 35mm stem on it since I bought it in 2021 new. It always felt good but kinda cramped.

I put on a 50mm stem It completely changed the bikes handling for the better for me. I’m PRing all my DH times and it’s more comfortable climbing.

Just FYI in case anyone was on the fence about a longer stem with the smaller frames.

Mike

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 20:36 Quote
So this happened sometime in the last 3 days:

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 20:40 Quote
jimmythesemi wrote:
So this happened sometime in the last 3 days:

'
'
JB weld and duct tape will fix that right up

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007370
Mobile Version of Website