21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 21:52 Quote
jimmythesemi wrote:
So this happened sometime in the last 3 days:

photo

is it on a 21 frame or 22? is that the seat or chainstay? or can we have a pic from further back?

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 0:42 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
jimmythesemi wrote:

photo

is it on a 21 frame or 22? is that the seat or chainstay? or can we have a pic from further back?

Looks like the chainstay, non drive side.

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 9:24 Quote
How’d it happen? Seems like something that doesn’t just pop up and you stumble upon while hosing off the frame.

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 9:28 Quote
blackjack88 wrote:
HeatedRotor wrote:
jimmythesemi wrote:

photo

Looks like the chainstay, non drive side.

This isn't the first or second or third STEVO I know of personally to break in that spot

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 12:06 Quote
It's a '22 frame and it's the non-drive side chain stay.

It was something I noticed before heading out for a ride as I was putting my rear wheel on, and I have no recollection of when it may have occurred. I didn't wash the bike after my previous two rides, and so didn't do any lookover/inspection like I normally do when towelling it off. So I'm not certain during what ride it happened, but a bummer nonetheless. Had a warranty claim submitted yesterday, so we'll see how it goes.

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 12:17 Quote
Dang, sorry to hear that. Does it seem like there was a point of impact on the bottom like a rock or just some sort of stress fracture?

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 16:32 Quote
mmarkey21 wrote:
Dang, sorry to hear that. Does it seem like there was a point of impact on the bottom like a rock or just some sort of stress fracture?

No point of impact, just looks like a stress fracture wrapping almost entirely around the chainstay. I only noticed it because my ridewrap was warped, so I pulled it off and found the crack.

O+
Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 11:30 Quote
So as I wait to hear back about my cracked chainstay, I decided to take off the downtube protector and this is what I found...

photo

photo

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 12:18 Quote
you might as well start getting funds together because specialized will screw you on the front triangle.
they'll blame impact damage, despite frame not being fit for purpose.

If my Evo cracks on the downtube ill be arguing it hard out and i think our consumer laws here might come into play as a "fit for purpose" query - I also believe the downtube damage is easily fixable by a carbon repairer/maker especially since we can give them access to both sides because of the swat box.

If i have to get a CR thatll be the last specialized I ever buy.

a side note, based on frame weight etc Iv always considered the stumpy a bike that should be ridden by people who just ride for fitness and not really for any downs. - but after demoing an evo, i had to try one of my own.

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 12:27 Quote
So what’s the smart replacement? Rail 29? I’d really like to just be able to sell the frame, but assume the market is wise to the issues with these.

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 12:46 Quote
bentin wrote:
So what’s the smart replacement? Rail 29? I’d really like to just be able to sell the frame, but assume the market is wise to the issues with these.

honestly every brand has issues but the people with issues are more likely to come here or FB etc to stress their concerns. the Stumpy is probably the most sold bike of all time so i wouldnt worry about that.(as far as modern bikes of its class and years)

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 13:53 Quote
Go alloy if you don’t want rock strikes to crack your frame. All carbon, regardless of brand, will crack from a solid rock strike.

In the past two seasons I’ve cracked my YT Tues and Spec. Enduro from rock impacts.

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 13:59 Quote
a-prince wrote:
Go alloy if you don’t want rock strikes to crack your frame. All carbon, regardless of brand, will crack from a solid rock strike.

In the past two seasons I’ve cracked my YT Tues and Spec. Enduro from rock impacts.

Ha, looking at Commenscal Metas for precisely this reason. Thanks.

Posted: Aug 23, 2022 at 15:06 Quote
bentin wrote:
a-prince wrote:

Ha, looking at Commenscal Metas for precisely this reason. Thanks.

Marin also makes a killer alloy bike. Really good price.

https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/2022-alpine-trail-xr

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018507
Mobile Version of Website