21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Aug 31, 2022 at 13:16 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
15nm and blob of blue Loctite for the UDH Smile

Even Sram call for 25NM.

I now use Wheels MFG UDH, Machined alloy, finer threads and Specced for 20NM.

Is it stronger than the SRAM one? The SRAM UDH is a great idea, but having not bent a derailleur hanger in over 7 years, I was surprised to bend one super easily on like my 3rd ride on this bike. I didn't notice it right away and it made the derailleur shift the chain into my spokes and destroy my rear wheel. I bought 2 new replacements. It seems super weak vs hangers I've had in the past. If it's stronger I may pick up one of those.

Posted: Aug 31, 2022 at 15:03 Quote
BaeckerX1 wrote:
HeatedRotor wrote:
15nm and blob of blue Loctite for the UDH Smile

Even Sram call for 25NM.

I now use Wheels MFG UDH, Machined alloy, finer threads and Specced for 20NM.

Is it stronger than the SRAM one? The SRAM UDH is a great idea, but having not bent a derailleur hanger in over 7 years, I was surprised to bend one super easily on like my 3rd ride on this bike. I didn't notice it right away and it made the derailleur shift the chain into my spokes and destroy my rear wheel. I bought 2 new replacements. It seems super weak vs hangers I've had in the past. If it's stronger I may pick up one of those.

It has to be. The SRAM plate is actually thermoplastic. Mine just wore out, I snapped the first replacement and I've been cautious getting the third one tight enough to hold the axle. The Wheels Manufacturing one is aluminum, you know, sort of how hangers are supposed to be? I think I'll try one, it's 3x the price, but it comes in orange...

Posted: Aug 31, 2022 at 16:26 Quote
Are you guys installing the UDH into the frame totally dry as per sram/specialized recommendation?

Ive got mine dry , no grease on hanger or bolt thread only the axle but others have said to grease the udh...

Posted: Aug 31, 2022 at 16:33 Quote
Also , having a slight issue with my float X.

Metallic rattle noise from the shock , removed the aircan and found it to be the washer that sits above the bottom-out bumper. The bumper/washer had travelled down the shaft allowing it to rattle. I pushed it back up to the top and the noise was fixed but returned after some riding. Seems the only thing keeping it in place is the bumper on the shaft?

Took back to my local shop who inspected it and found the same and reset it again. Anyone had similar problems here?

Posted: Aug 31, 2022 at 16:58 Quote
DirtSurfing wrote:
Are you guys installing the UDH into the frame totally dry as per sram/specialized recommendation?

Ive got mine dry , no grease on hanger or bolt thread only the axle but others have said to grease the udh...

Everything dry, except I do grease the axle end.

Posted: Aug 31, 2022 at 21:13 Quote
The UDH design See's load because the axle is threaded into it. Because of that i grease it, Now im not a huge fan of LBS's but The few ive spoken to, about any bike with a UDH is to Grease it(i spoke to a few when i was ringing around about the correct torque for it)

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2022 at 9:02 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
The UDH design See's load because the axle is threaded into it. Because of that i grease it, Now im not a huge fan of LBS's but The few ive spoken to, about any bike with a UDH is to Grease it(i spoke to a few when i was ringing around about the correct torque for it)

Can confirm, I didn't grease it. Shop had to extract it for me after it seized.

Posted: Sep 7, 2022 at 19:28 Quote
Does any one has an idea where to get or find a rear triangle (swing arm) for a stumpjumper comp carbon 27.5 (2020)? can any other stumjumper rear triangle can be used (a recent one probably?)

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 13:10 Quote
Just wondering if anyone knows whether there are internal guides for the rear brake hose and derailleur cable on the chainstay of the evo?

I received my warrantied chainstay and don't want to wait for the shop to have time to do the install. It's been a month with no bike and I'm itching to get out! I've never worked with internal routing before so don't want to bite off more than I can chew!

Cheers

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 13:43 Quote
secondfavteacher wrote:
Just wondering if anyone knows whether there are internal guides for the rear brake hose and derailleur cable on the chainstay of the evo?

I received my warrantied chainstay and don't want to wait for the shop to have time to do the install. It's been a month with no bike and I'm itching to get out! I've never worked with internal routing before so don't want to bite off more than I can chew!

Cheers

Yes there are. And they are a PAIN to work with. I installed new brakes (5.5mm diameter is larger than Shimano brake hose diameter) and ended up ripping them out as the hose was very difficult to route through the ICR tubing. Brake lines do not rattle even with the ICR tubes removed.

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 14:08 Quote
Hey all, has anyone been able to get a 210mm dropper on an S4 frame?

Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 14:13 Quote
mmarkey21 wrote:
Hey all, has anyone been able to get a 210mm dropper on an S4 frame?

Depends on your saddle height at max extension. My 200mm PNW is bottomed out in my S5 with a 31.5 inch saddle height. I do think the One Up has a slightly shorter stack height though, so I probably could have done their 210mm.

Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 8:04 Quote
I have a fox float X on order to mount onto an S3 stevo

i'm an average guy, 178cm, 165lbs

Am i likely to missing out on much without the RX tune?

if so does anyone know the RX tune code for the float X on an s3? (or the page in the thread i might find it on)

cheers

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 9:09 Quote
blackjack88 wrote:

if so does anyone know the RX tune code for the float X on an s3? (or the page in the thread i might find it on)

cheers

Here you have.

RX-tune:
2022, FLOAT X, F-S, K, 2pos-Adj, Evol LV, Specialized, SJ EVO S2-S6, 210, 55, 0.2 Spacer, CL, RF, Rezi LF, Neutral, Neutral Logo, N/M

Retail tune:
979-01-047 2022, FLOAT X, F-S, K, 2pos-Adj, Evol LV, FOX, AM, 210, 55, 0.4 Spacer, CL+, PRM, Rezi LMB2, Orange, Neutral Logo

Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 14:46 Quote
blackjack88 wrote:

cheers

The RX tune on the X is a must. And use appropriate volume spacers to adjust.

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013689
Mobile Version of Website