21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 15:15 Quote
Jedimtnbiker wrote:
blackjack88 wrote:
I have a fox float X on order to mount onto an S3 stevo

i'm an average guy, 178cm, 165lbs

Am i likely to missing out on much without the RX tune?

if so does anyone know the RX tune code for the float X on an s3? (or the page in the thread i might find it on)

cheers

The RX tune on the X is a must. And use appropriate volume spacers to adjust.

I thought the RX tune was off for me at 175lbs it felt very harsh and small bump compliance was not good at all despite having the compression damping fully open.

Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 15:56 Quote
Robs-Primal-Life wrote:
Jedimtnbiker wrote:
blackjack88 wrote:

if so does anyone know the RX tune code for the float X on an s3? (or the page in the thread i might find it on)

cheers

I thought the RX tune was off for me at 175lbs it felt very harsh and small bump compliance was not good at all despite having the compression damping fully open.

I have to say if your over 180lbs, the Rx tune is a avoid at all costs IMO. im about 205 and Im packed with spacers on my float X, i either get a smooth ride and no midstroke/bottom out or rougher ride and a little midstroke/bottom out, IMO Spesh need to do what a few brands are doing now, which is as bike size goes up the tune changes.

I got to try a "factory" air x2 off a friends bike that he had bought the shock separate so its got the std tune, it was waaaaay better. it was filled with 3 spacers and was pretty close to "advised start spot" for its settings.
nice initial bump support but could take the big hits and recover, Significant improvement in midstroke/bottom out.

Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 19:53 Quote
EvolutionMTBer wrote:
Robs-Primal-Life wrote:
Jedimtnbiker wrote:

I'm not sure what the leverage rate is on the EVO but the higher the leverage rate, the less compression you need on your tune. This is what makes the new RS stuff great... you don't need a special "tune" with the adjustments.

I have to say if your over 180lbs, the Rx tune is a avoid at all costs IMO. im about 205 and Im packed with spacers on my float X, i either get a smooth ride and no midstroke/bottom out or rougher ride and a little midstroke/bottom out, IMO Spesh need to do what a few brands are doing now, which is as bike size goes up the tune changes.

I got to try a "factory" air x2 off a friends bike that he had bought the shock separate so its got the std tune, it was waaaaay better. it was filled with 3 spacers and was pretty close to "advised start spot" for its settings.
nice initial bump support but could take the big hits and recover, Significant improvement in midstroke/bottom out.

Posted: Sep 14, 2022 at 20:09 Quote
I believe its the opposite, Higher leverage means its easier to compress the shock?

"special tunes" annoy me as 99% of the time they are based around an average, which im guessing is approx 80-85kg adult and a medium riding style.

The Rx Tune on the stock Spesh shocks have a small thin stack that gets an absolute work out and can often break the big shim(quoted from a well respect local tuner)

Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 1:04 Quote
mcharza wrote:
blackjack88 wrote:

cheers

Here you have.

RX-tune:
2022, FLOAT X, F-S, K, 2pos-Adj, Evol LV, Specialized, SJ EVO S2-S6, 210, 55, 0.2 Spacer, CL, RF, Rezi LF, Neutral, Neutral Logo, N/M

Retail tune:
979-01-047 2022, FLOAT X, F-S, K, 2pos-Adj, Evol LV, FOX, AM, 210, 55, 0.4 Spacer, CL+, PRM, Rezi LMB2, Orange, Neutral Logo

Thanks for posting that

so from what i gather they've just firmed up everything in the shock by a level, anyone close to my weight feel its too harsh?

RXtune:

CL: Compression Light, RF: Rebound Firm, LF: Lever Mode Firm

Retail:

CL: Compression Light+, PRM: Preload Rebound Medium, LMB2: Lever Mode Medium Bleed 2

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 7:27 Quote
blackjack88 wrote:
mcharza wrote:
blackjack88 wrote:

cheers

Here you have.

RX-tune:
2022, FLOAT X, F-S, K, 2pos-Adj, Evol LV, Specialized, SJ EVO S2-S6, 210, 55, 0.2 Spacer, CL, RF, Rezi LF, Neutral, Neutral Logo, N/M

Retail tune:
979-01-047 2022, FLOAT X, F-S, K, 2pos-Adj, Evol LV, FOX, AM, 210, 55, 0.4 Spacer, CL+, PRM, Rezi LMB2, Orange, Neutral Logo

Thanks for posting that

so from what i gather they've just firmed up everything in the shock by a level, anyone close to my weight feel its too harsh?

RXtune:

Retail:

CL: Compression Light+, PRM: Preload Rebound Medium, LMB2: Lever Mode Medium Bleed 2

I'm a small guy 176 cm and 72 kg naked.

My Fox X has been retuned by Fox. But it still need more sensitivity.
The trails where I spend the most time are full of roots and rocks.

I found a solution. I ordered an EXT e-Storia shock that was tuned for Stevo.
Yes it expensive, but found second hand shock which cost about the same as a new Fox X2 Factory.
Keeping Fox X as a spare.

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 10:17 Quote
I love my stock performance float X. So plush. I’m 185-190 with gear. I run the compression wide open. Having used all the other shock offerings from Fox and RS I cannot imagine getting much of a performance benefit over what is stock. I like simple though. The less dials the better.

Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 23:27 Quote
blackjack88 wrote:
mcharza wrote:
blackjack88 wrote:

cheers

Here you have.

RX-tune:

Retail tune:

Thanks for posting that

RXtune:

Retail:

The RX's CL is a lighter tune than retail's CL+. I'm 140lbs and the RX tune feels great for me.

From a Fox rep when I emailed them a while back, when I was deciding between buying a retail Float X or a take-off RX:

1) The "CL" compression tune that Specialized uses in their OE shocks is the lightest tune we have on offer for these Float X shocks. That makes them feel super plush in conjunction with Specialized's linkage design and kinematics. The CL+ would work fine (I run this tune on my SJ EVO), but I'm also about 210# and like the extra support.

2) Specialized uses a "RF" rebound tune on most of their OE shocks nowadays, mainly because the leverage ratio on these linkages is fairly high. This results in a higher spring rate typically and the rebound damping needs to increase because of that. PRM is essentially a digressive medium rebound tune, and if you are in the weight range of 130-170# it would likely be fine, but if you are over that range you would benefit from the firmer (slower) tune.

3) The rezi tune has to do with the lockout mode force. LMB2 (Lever Medium Bleed 2) is a mid-firm mode with a fairly easy blow-off feature which makes the lockout very useable even on technical climbs. The LF (Lever Firm) is the firmest lockout mode that we offer for the Float X.

Posted: Sep 16, 2022 at 3:08 Quote
Gnougat wrote:

The RX's CL is a lighter tune than retail's CL+. I'm 140lbs and the RX tune feels great for me.

From a Fox rep when I emailed them a while back, when I was deciding between buying a retail Float X or a take-off RX:

1) The "CL" compression tune that Specialized uses in their OE shocks is the lightest tune we have on offer for these Float X shocks. That makes them feel super plush in conjunction with Specialized's linkage design and kinematics. The CL+ would work fine (I run this tune on my SJ EVO), but I'm also about 210# and like the extra support.

2) Specialized uses a "RF" rebound tune on most of their OE shocks nowadays, mainly because the leverage ratio on these linkages is fairly high. This results in a higher spring rate typically and the rebound damping needs to increase because of that. PRM is essentially a digressive medium rebound tune, and if you are in the weight range of 130-170# it would likely be fine, but if you are over that range you would benefit from the firmer (slower) tune.

3) The rezi tune has to do with the lockout mode force. LMB2 (Lever Medium Bleed 2) is a mid-firm mode with a fairly easy blow-off feature which makes the lockout very useable even on technical climbs. The LF (Lever Firm) is the firmest lockout mode that we offer for the Float X.

ok so as i understand it for me then with a retail tune, i'd need to dial in maybe a couple more clicks of rebound damping to slow it down to RF and then back off the LSC a touch to compensate and emulate the CL+ on the RX tune.

lockout theres not much i can do about that, i barely use them anyway.

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2022 at 6:22 Quote
blackjack88 wrote:
Gnougat wrote:

ok so as i understand it for me then with a retail tune, i'd need to dial in maybe a couple more clicks of rebound damping to slow it down to RF and then back off the LSC a touch to compensate and emulate the CL+ on the RX tune.

lockout theres not much i can do about that, i barely use them anyway.
I have ridden with both tunes and the adjustments you mentioned did not help me at least.

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2022 at 9:06 Quote
IDK about y'all's situation but I had the 2021 with the dpx2 and it always felt smoother/plusher with the sag at 23-25% and a STIFF lsc setting than at 30%

Posted: Sep 16, 2022 at 10:01 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
IDK about y'all's situation but I had the 2021 with the dpx2 and it always felt smoother/plusher with the sag at 23-25% and a STIFF lsc setting than at 30%

Absolutely agree on the DPX2, even with the Cascade, it works much better like that.

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2022 at 12:21 Quote
bentin wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:

Absolutely agree on the DPX2, even with the Cascade, it works much better like that.

I had the cascade and it definitely needed it as well. Even MORE so because of the increased leverage off the top.

Posted: Sep 16, 2022 at 12:25 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
bentin wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:

I had the cascade and it definitely needed it as well. Even MORE so because of the increased leverage off the top.

Agreed. It's weird to me how more pressure makes it feel more active. When it's sagged to 30%, it feels like there's a ton of stiction.

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2022 at 13:04 Quote
bentin wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:
bentin wrote:

Agreed. It's weird to me how more pressure makes it feel more active. When it's sagged to 30%, it feels like there's a ton of stiction.

It keeps it up in 1. Rearward axle path (this is a really big deal and part of what makes the bike so good) and the lighter part of valving. The rearward axle path and the high leverage rate of the top really make this bike want to blow through the top of its travel easily.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015721
Mobile Version of Website