21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Sep 16, 2022 at 14:52 Quote
Are you guys also finding similar feeling with the float X?

O+
Posted: Sep 16, 2022 at 17:27 Quote
To chime in on some of the shock set up… I recently finished a huge trip across BC with lots of pedaling as well bike park laps, and can confirm that trending to less sag made the bike feel MUCH better to me. Im about 180 w/ gear, and I thought it felt about as good as it could by the end of the trip with a mid-sized volume spacer in about somewhere in the 20% sag range.

Also just a note on the bike in general…. I was really impressed how well it handled all the stuff I threw at it over this trip. It was definitely a little under gunned in the late season brake-bump strewn whistler park, but I still rode it every day and had a blast. It also handled the tight climbing in Pemberton without issue as one would expect, and really captured the flexibility that is marketed with it.

I used to always bring two bikes on this trip, and this year did with one, and just put it low/slack for the park. Worked great and made everything simple. The only real issue I had was the headset coming loose when in the slack setting.

Posted: Sep 17, 2022 at 6:57 Quote
Anybody else find the stock stem to be long?

The stem on my comp alloy was "50mm" but actually measured 55mm from centre to centre. Just swapped to a 42.5mm burgtec stem and 38mm rise bars. (6'3 on s5 frame). Was hesitant going shorter but seems good.

Having some issues with numb hands after extended seated pedals though , even with shorter stem. Im not sure if its the extra sweep (9* backsweep) , as i feel more pressure on my palms unless the bars are rotated forward. Will mess around with my seat angle and position and see if any improvement.

Posted: Sep 17, 2022 at 10:09 Quote
Is it me or does anyone else find the metal lower shock bushing from Specialized odd, being it’s not a snug fit in the shock eyelet??

Posted: Sep 17, 2022 at 13:45 Quote
DirtSurfing wrote:

The stem on my comp alloy was "50mm" but actually measured 55mm from centre to centre. Just swapped to a 42.5mm burgtec stem and 38mm rise bars. (6'3 on s5 frame). Was hesitant going shorter but seems good.

Having some issues with numb hands after extended seated pedals though , even with shorter stem. Im not sure if its the extra sweep (9* backsweep) , as i feel more pressure on my palms unless the bars are rotated forward. Will mess around with my seat angle and position and see if any improvement.

Interesting, I got my Evo as a frame and was using a 40mm Raceface turbine R, but considering going 45 or 50(the stock length on s3-s6 is 50mm and s1-2 is 40mm.

Might buy some cheap generic ones to test.

for reference im 6ft on an s4, wouldnt mind trailing some more stems before i sell it.

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 11:24 Quote
vanceone wrote:
Is it me or does anyone else find the metal lower shock bushing from Specialized odd, being it’s not a snug fit in the shock eyelet??

You’ve put a DU bushing in the lower eyelet right?

I don’t think those top hat washers are supposed to go in there raw…

The DU bushing is pressed in the lower eyelet and the silver top hat washers fit snug inside, 0 play.

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 16:52 Quote
blackjack88 wrote:
vanceone wrote:

The DU bushing is pressed in the lower eyelet and the silver top hat washers fit snug inside, 0 play.

Naw man, the metal bushing goes in the open eyelet. With the DU pushing + the metal bushing it’s too thick to fit in the yoke.

Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 8:11 Quote
vanceone wrote:
blackjack88 wrote:
vanceone wrote:

Naw man, the metal bushing goes in the open eyelet. With the DU pushing + the metal bushing it’s too thick to fit in the yoke.

Weird, I just built up an a-works evo frame last week with a dhx2 as a temp shock until a float x arrives.

Without a du bushing in the lower eyelet the play is far too much. With a du bushing the top hat spacers slipped in nice and snug.

Anyone else use a du bushing or not in the lower eyelet on fox shocks?

Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 8:24 Quote
[Quote="blackjack88"]
vanceone wrote:
blackjack88 wrote:

The DU bushing is pressed in the lower eyelet and the silver top hat washers fit snug inside, 0

Weird, I just built up an a-works evo frame last week with a dhx2 as a temp shock until a float x arrives.

Without a du bushing in the lower eyelet the play is far too much. With a du bushing the top hat spacers slipped in nice and snug.

https://thelostco.com/pages/shock-hardware-database

If you look in the Speciized section for the 21 Evo, it’s listed as open eyelet for the rear of the shock. Also the Specialized exploded diagram shows the shock as an open eyelet with just the top hat washers.

What I did last night was took 2 of the DU bushings, cut off the little beveled edge so they fit in the eyelet, that allowed the top hat washer to fit in the yoke. Zero play now but it is weird how much play they allowed before.

Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 8:47 Quote
[Quote="vanceone"]
blackjack88 wrote:
vanceone wrote:

If you look in the Speciized section for the 21 Evo, it’s listed as open eyelet for the rear of the shock. Also the Specialized exploded diagram shows the shock as an open eyelet with just the top hat washers.

What I did last night was took 2 of the DU bushings, cut off the little beveled edge so they fit in the eyelet, that allowed the top hat washer to fit in the yoke. Zero play now but it is weird how much play they allowed before.

to eliminate confusion here when i say du bushing im talking about one of these, it should fit flush in the lower eyelet if bought in the correct size, then the out diameter of the top hat washers fit inside and then into the yoke, no play in mine in any direction.

photo

photo

O+
Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 10:11 Quote
[Quote="blackjack88"]
vanceone wrote:
blackjack88 wrote:

to eliminate confusion here when i say du bushing im talking about one of these, it should fit flush in the lower eyelet if bought in the correct size, then the out diameter of the top hat washers fit inside and then into the yoke, no play in mine in any direction.

photo

photo

I agree this. I have replaced the original with three different shocks and everything is built this way. Bike is Stevo LTD -21

Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 11:02 Quote
[Quote="blackjack88"]
vanceone wrote:
blackjack88 wrote:

photo

photo

Interesting! Where did you get that from? It does not come on the Fox X2 from Fox.

Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 11:21 Quote
vanceone wrote:

Interesting! Where did you get that from? It does not come on the Fox X2 from Fox.

https://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-Rear-Shock-Eyelet-Bushing-12

same bushing used in rockshox and fox. They dont usually ship shocks with them in but in most cases (unless the flip chip is at the eyelet) you'll need one.

Specialized would do well to put a note on this in the manual to help people out.

Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 11:32 Quote
blackjack88 wrote:
vanceone wrote:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-Rear-Shock-Eyelet-Bushing-12

same bushing used in rockshox and fox. They dont usually ship shocks with them in but in most cases (unless the flip chip is at the eyelet) you'll need one.

Specialized would do well to put a note on this in the manual to help people out.

I have it super dialed using the Fox bushings modified but would be nice to get the one. I knew someone was odd, it made zero sense. Thanks dude!

Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 21:35 Quote
DirtSurfing wrote:

Yeah I found the same. I'm 6'2" on an S5. Running a 42mm Tenet stem with Spank 60mm rise bars and that has been my sweet spot. I have super long legs and short torso so I have to run my saddle to the moon. This has also caused me issues with numb pinky and ring finger over the past couple years. I've tried all kinds of stuff, but the most helpful thing has been getting my cockpit up closer to level with the height of my saddle in climbing position. I don't mind shifting my weight around on steep climbs and tend to prefer higher bars for downhill anyway so the mega rise bar works well and puts me in a much more neutral position. I know 60mm rise sounds over the top, but it's helped me a lot so far. Maybe worth a try.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009037
Mobile Version of Website