21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2022 at 7:38 Quote
I’m close to your weight running 255 psi. Friend is same and he runs 260.

Posted: Nov 10, 2022 at 7:59 Quote
Agreed, I have a 21 with the DPX2 and Cascade Link and weigh 190 pounds and I run under 300 psi, hoping to get that down a little changing volume spacers. But with the Float X, you should be able to run a lot less pressure at your weight with the stock linkage too. The Cascade requires about 10% more pressure.

Posted: Nov 10, 2022 at 10:03 Quote
Awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try a lower PSI and report some results.

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2022 at 11:09 Quote
I'm around 205 running 235psi 15-16ish mm sag with cascade link and .6 spacer, seems to be working well for me. not sure on my other settings. I always think I should play around with my HSC and LSC but once I'm out riding I'm usually having such a good time I don't think to play around with them.

O+
Posted: Nov 10, 2022 at 14:23 Quote
I ran like 280+ initially was ridiculous. I’m all roots and rocks here so small/med bumps priority.

Posted: Nov 11, 2022 at 3:03 Quote
I couldn't get the shock setup right, put a 0.4 spacer in, dropped the pressure, bobs your uncle!

O+
Posted: Nov 11, 2022 at 11:07 Quote
Gnougat wrote:
tporterhouse wrote:
I am 6'1" and 210 riding weight on a good day. According to the Specialized Suspension Setup Calculator, I need 297 PSI in the rear. That seems insane. I ran my Mondraker Foxy at 230 ish.

I have about 5mm left till bottom out. The bike feels great on jumps but could feel better on small bumps and through the mid stroke. I'd prefer better performance in the rough than pop on jumps. I have never run a shock at this high of a pressure. It's a pain in the ass getting it up that high. I'm thinking more spacers will let me run it at less pressure, increase small bump, and maintain bottom out resistance. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Cheers

Specialized hasn't updated their calculator for the Float X, so the recommended pressure you're seeing is for the DPX, which is the shock the 2021 model came with. The DPX is a smaller volume shock that runs higher pressures than the Float X.
Your best bet is to ignore those calculator suggestions, and measure til you get 15.5mm sag, which is what Specialized recommends.
If you want a starting point, you could select the Turbo Levo Comp Alloy on their calculator, which uses a Float X as well.

230lbs, ran about 310psi+ on the DPX2, currently run 270psi on my DVO T3. The Stevo has a nearly 3:1 leverage rate off the top, which is 10-20% higher than many other bikes in the same travel range. This means that at initial stroke, a 200lb rider exerts 600lbs of force on the shock. The psi seems high, but it makes sense when the other things are factored in.

Posted: Nov 13, 2022 at 13:29 Quote
So, I’m riding a 2022 Stumpjumper EVO Expert S4. I weigh 90kg. I’m loving the bike, but am struggling with setting up the Fox 36. Basically whenever it gets chunky, my arms are really getting hammered, and it’s stopping me from being confident in tech. Any setup hints for the Fox 36 please?

Posted: Nov 13, 2022 at 13:53 Quote
I actually really like the 36 with Grip2, but I have been impressed with the added comfort from the One Up bar and foam grips. I also run CushCores.

Posted: Nov 13, 2022 at 14:15 Quote
bentin wrote:
I actually really like the 36 with Grip2, but I have been impressed with the added comfort from the One Up bar and foam grips. I also run CushCores.

I should have mentioned, I’m running carbon bars, Revgrips and Cushcore.

It’s definitely the forks feeling harsh.

Posted: Nov 13, 2022 at 14:38 Quote
has the airspring been serviced?

Posted: Nov 13, 2022 at 14:50 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
has the airspring been serviced?

Nope, and a bit of Googling suggests that may be my next step.

I’m planning on ringing my suspension shop tomorrow to see if they suggest anything else.

Posted: Nov 13, 2022 at 14:55 Quote
im 95kg, 99psi 1 token, serviced air spring. its nice as, if i go somewhere super steep then i may come up to a max of 105. Big jumps etc ill go up a token and keep similar psi,

Posted: Nov 13, 2022 at 15:02 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
im 95kg, 99psi 1 token, serviced air spring. its nice as, if i go somewhere super steep then i may come up to a max of 105. Big jumps etc ill go up a token and keep similar psi,

Interesting, I’ve been dropping psi today from 95, down to 83. I was riding it as low as 75 previously and it felt ok, but not great.

I’ve also tried the Specialized suspension calculator settings too, and they felt horrible.

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2022 at 16:27 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:

Interesting, I’ve been dropping psi today from 95, down to 83. I was riding it as low as 75 previously and it felt ok, but not great.

I’ve also tried the Specialized suspension calculator settings too, and they felt horrible.

Have you checked the airsping for over greasing? this make a big difference with 36's and 38's the 38's are just a PITA to remove grease from.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010669
Mobile Version of Website