21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 15:04 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
sean-curran wrote:
Hopped on the stumpy evo carbon frame deal. Still haven’t found a size 6 to sit on. Sat on a size 4 and it felt tiny. Pretty excited about it, since I was thinking alloy a week ago and got the carbon for the same price.

Considered the size 5, but this would be the shortest reach numbers I’ve ridden in years, which seems like a bad idea to me. I think getting a more stable bike will fill in my weaknesses (speed) where as a shorter frame would just compliment my strengths.

Also, the cost of entry for the status frames are insanely good right now. Almost considered just picking one of those up instead, but obviously this will be more versatile.

There’s a buy and sell listing where a rider successfully swapped the s1-4 chainstay (438mm) in for the s5-6 chainstay (448mm) does anyone see a reason not to do this?

Depends on how much technical climbing you’re planning on doing?

To further the confusion, I test rode a S5 at a shop later today. The S5 felt good, but this is in a parking lot, with a tiny bit of trail. It felt less "enduro'y" than expected, confirming all your thoughts. Chainstay length didnt seem like a factor at this point, so Im going to ignore that number for now.

I did also sit on, and spin around the inside of a shop on a S6 standard stumpy, and it felt silly long, that confused me quite a bit. But, that S6 Stumpy base seems to have 7mm longer reach, and a 55mm stem. So, subtract the 7mm+15mm on the stem, and maybe that actually feels more in line with what Im used to. But, doesnt change the wheelbese.

If I go with the S5, the ETT is 30+ mm shorter than the last 3 bikes I've owned, and the reach is 15mm shorter. But it felt right, so maybe I ignore the numbers?

Can anyone compare an S5 Stumpy evo to an XL ripmo?

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 16:14 Quote
Reach for an S5 is 498, it’s 500 for an XL Ripmo. Sounds like you’ve found your size. For what it’s worth, I’m 6’2” with a 33ish inseam and the S5 has been perfect for me.

Just for the record, ETT for the S5 is 647 vs 655 for the XL Mo.

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 19:49 Quote
Mullet linkage question guys…. Does the 22’ stumpy evo with the float x perform and better with the mullet link as far as bottom outs go? I’ve heard the float x has better bottom out resistance? Or should I still skip the link and get the WRP yoke! Please help, my mullet wheel set is on the way!!

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 19:52 Quote
WRP link is better for sure.

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2022 at 0:37 Quote
sean-curran wrote:
BarneyStinson wrote:
sean-curran wrote:
Hopped on the stumpy evo carbon frame deal. Still haven’t found a size 6 to sit on. Sat on a size 4 and it felt tiny. Pretty excited about it, since I was thinking alloy a week ago and got the carbon for the same price.

Considered the size 5, but this would be the shortest reach numbers I’ve ridden in years, which seems like a bad idea to me. I think getting a more stable bike will fill in my weaknesses (speed) where as a shorter frame would just compliment my strengths.

Also, the cost of entry for the status frames are insanely good right now. Almost considered just picking one of those up instead, but obviously this will be more versatile.

There’s a buy and sell listing where a rider successfully swapped the s1-4 chainstay (438mm) in for the s5-6 chainstay (448mm) does anyone see a reason not to do this?

To further the confusion, I test rode a S5 at a shop later today. The S5 felt good, but this is in a parking lot, with a tiny bit of trail. It felt less "enduro'y" than expected, confirming all your thoughts. Chainstay length didnt seem like a factor at this point, so Im going to ignore that number for now.

I did also sit on, and spin around the inside of a shop on a S6 standard stumpy, and it felt silly long, that confused me quite a bit. But, that S6 Stumpy base seems to have 7mm longer reach, and a 55mm stem. So, subtract the 7mm+15mm on the stem, and maybe that actually feels more in line with what Im used to. But, doesnt change the wheelbese.

If I go with the S5, the ETT is 30+ mm shorter than the last 3 bikes I've owned, and the reach is 15mm shorter. But it felt right, so maybe I ignore the numbers?

At 6’4” any S6 is just too long. You want about 500-510 reach. Longer than that and the front wheel will get light and wash out in corners (even if it feels epic climbing and straight line smashing).

Also, don’t make the mistake of thinking you can adjust the fit with stem length. Stem length affects cornering (too short = understeer / too long = oversteer). It’s personal taste but it’s a cornering tuning thing way before it’s an ergonomic tuning thing. These ain’t road bikes Smile

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2022 at 9:34 Quote
sean-curran wrote:
BarneyStinson wrote:
sean-curran wrote:

I’ve got both. Seated position on the S5 Stumpy is stretched compared to the XL Ripmo. I blame the actual seat tube angle given similar stack/reach/HTA. To achieve a similar seated posture I have a 35mm stem and seat slammed forward on the Stumpy with a 50mm stem and seat roughly centered on the Ripmo. Stumpy is typically in Neutral head/high BB. This makes the Stumpy a little more work to ride on flatter trails in comparison.

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2022 at 10:02 Quote
mrpfp wrote:
sean-curran wrote:
BarneyStinson wrote:

I’ve got both. Seated position on the S5 Stumpy is stretched compared to the XL Ripmo. I blame the actual seat tube angle given similar stack/reach/HTA. To achieve a similar seated posture I have a 35mm stem and seat slammed forward on the Stumpy with a 50mm stem and seat roughly centered on the Ripmo. Stumpy is typically in Neutral head/high BB. This makes the Stumpy a little more work to ride on flatter trails in comparison.

Thanks! very helpfull.

Posted: Nov 27, 2022 at 17:50 Quote
I have a 21 epic evo and stumpy evo. My Strava times on climbs are always better on my SJ evo. It weird but it is what it is. This bike climbs amazing

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 2:30 Quote
Hi all, looking for some voices of reason. I have a stumpy evo comp. Comes with the Fox 36 Rhythm forks. I'm considering upgrading them but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Any opinions? Has anyone else upgraded and noticed a big difference? The forks are generally ok, but if pushed they don't seem to keep up (I know, this could also be a lack of talent). I have seen some Zebs on offer but they might be overkill?

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 3:37 Quote
Mine came factory build with a 160 zeb. So no, not overkill.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 4:54 Quote
birnie wrote:
Hi all, looking for some voices of reason. I have a stumpy evo comp. Comes with the Fox 36 Rhythm forks. I'm considering upgrading them but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Any opinions? Has anyone else upgraded and noticed a big difference? The forks are generally ok, but if pushed they don't seem to keep up (I know, this could also be a lack of talent). I have seen some Zebs on offer but they might be overkill?

Have you tried getting them tuned?

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 5:00 Quote
This was a fun run on the STEVO chasing Danny who is also on an EVO.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 5:13 Quote
mtbwillems wrote:
Mine came factory build with a 160 zeb. So no, not overkill.
Was that the limited edition with the coil shock? Nice!

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 5:15 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
birnie wrote:

Have you tried getting them tuned?

Not much you can tune on them. Air pressure, tokens, rebound. Done all of the above.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011393
Mobile Version of Website