Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 5:45 Quote
Robs-Primal-Life wrote:
My current setup
Stumpy EVO

Nice! what made you go with the 38s?

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 10:39 Quote
birnie wrote:
mtbwillems wrote:
Mine came factory build with a 160 zeb. So no, not overkill.
Was that the limited edition with the coil shock? Nice!
Yes, the ltd mullet but specialized dished the coil and delivered with the super deluxe select+.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 10:46 Quote
[Quote="Robs-Primal-Life"]My current setup
Stumpy EVO
[/Quote
Is that a garmin mount under your seatpost?

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 11:47 Quote
Robs-Primal-Life wrote:
My current setup
Stumpy EVO

What stem please?

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 11:48 Quote
birnie wrote:
BarneyStinson wrote:
birnie wrote:
Hi all, looking for some voices of reason. I have a stumpy evo comp. Comes with the Fox 36 Rhythm forks. I'm considering upgrading them but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Any opinions? Has anyone else upgraded and noticed a big difference? The forks are generally ok, but if pushed they don't seem to keep up (I know, this could also be a lack of talent). I have seen some Zebs on offer but they might be overkill?

Have you tried getting them tuned?

Not much you can tune on them. Air pressure, tokens, rebound. Done all of the above.

Damper upgrade?

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 12:32 Quote
birnie wrote:
Robs-Primal-Life wrote:
My current setup
Stumpy EVO

Nice! what made you go with the 38s?
Thanks, the 38 is what I had on hand, it's overkill it's at 160mm travel a 36 is plenty stiff for me.

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 12:34 Quote
[Quote="mtbwillems"]
Robs-Primal-Life wrote:
My current setup
Stumpy EVO
[/Quote
Is that a garmin mount under your seatpost?
Yes the only safe place for a garmin when I ride mounted upside down so its right when I look at it.
The Stem is a Race Face Turbine

Posted: Dec 6, 2022 at 12:39 Quote
Funny, I’ve launched my Hammerhead from every spot I’ve tried to mount it. I’ll see if I have enough dropper exposed to try that.

Posted: Dec 7, 2022 at 7:42 Quote
birnie wrote:
Hi all, looking for some voices of reason. I have a stumpy evo comp. Comes with the Fox 36 Rhythm forks. I'm considering upgrading them but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Any opinions? Has anyone else upgraded and noticed a big difference? The forks are generally ok, but if pushed they don't seem to keep up (I know, this could also be a lack of talent). I have seen some Zebs on offer but they might be overkill?

There are a couple of paths to upgrade the damper, both are easy and relatively close in cost. Upgraded dampers make a massive difference. More on this below.

I chose to self-install a Grip2 damper. It's very easy, and self-servicing your fork is a pretty basic process with a minimal investment in tools. It will pay for itself after just 1 service, maybe 2 if you get nicer tools. Adding a damper replacement to your regular service adds maybe 10 minutes to the process. The Lost Co has a great tutorial video on this process.

The other route would be to send the fork to a custom tuner such as Avalanche. Every report about that I've heard about Avalanche is that the results are excellent but the guy is a bit difficult to deal with. I'm sure you can find threads about this which discuss the process and results at length.

One last route would be to sell your fork for $400-500 and buy a new RS or Fox option of your choice. But in all cases, good dampers make a big difference. The biggest difference I found when going from Grip to Grip2 was how much better the fork was at speed and through rough stuff. It just mashes through it and doesn't seem fazed. The Grip(1) just felt like a jack hammer no matter what I did and my arms and hands hurt after just a few minutes of rough descending. No more with the Grip2. Night and day better. The only issue is the Grip2 is tuned for riding at a fast pace and doesn't feel good at low speeds. Very much worth the improvement at high speed though.

O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2022 at 9:01 Quote
Can someone kindly post their long term thoughts/review on this bike. I'm very interested in this bike and have always wanted a longer travel bike for more forgiveness. I currently own an Epic Evo which I ride through all Pisgah blacks no problem albeit slower. I love climbing. I'm hoping this bike will maintain some climbing prowess but will unlock "fun" mode on the downhills.

Or am I looking for something more along the lines of Ibis Ripmo, SC Hightower, RM Altitude, Scor 4060?

Posted: Dec 30, 2022 at 10:33 Quote
chunwangchi wrote:
Can someone kindly post their long term thoughts/review on this bike. I'm very interested in this bike and have always wanted a longer travel bike for more forgiveness. I currently own an Epic Evo which I ride through all Pisgah blacks no problem albeit slower. I love climbing. I'm hoping this bike will maintain some climbing prowess but will unlock "fun" mode on the downhills.

Or am I looking for something more along the lines of Ibis Ripmo, SC Hightower, RM Altitude, Scor 4060?

I have that combo - EE & StEvo.

The StEvo is a pretty good technical climber, but if you're looking for speed on the (simple) ups, the regular Stumpy is probably a better option. The EE is seriously capable, as is the regular Stumpy, so you will need some proper steep gnar before the StEvo pays off IMO.

That said, I was always afraid of too much overlap if I got a regular Stumpy or similar, hence the Stumpy Evo. With my local terrain, the Epic E is my preferred choice nearly every time because there is a lot of transport on gravel or asphalt.

My main issue is that I'm used to how easy it is to maintain speed on the EE. The Stevo is fast enough if you're going all in, but it's not made for sit-down-and-pedal for any duration unless you do most of your riding on it. The EE is butt & thighs, the steep STA on the Stevo means a lot more is require from the calves - of which I don't really have much to show off Smile

Posted: Dec 30, 2022 at 12:24 Quote
chunwangchi wrote:

The main attraction of the Stumpjumper Evo is its flexibility IMO. Or at least that’s what I love about mine. By altering the geometry I can change it from a trail bike to a mini-enduro bike, to a park bike, and it feels different in every configuration. It’s a reasonable climber IMO.

Swat box is useful, but I’m still working out how best to use it, it can be a bit fiddly to get things like tyre plugs out in a hurry.

The spec is reasonable, but some of the cheaper models lack a bash guard which is poor.

I would think it would compliment an Epic Evo in a quiver, however I can’t help but wonder if something slightly bigger (like the next Enduro) would be an even better pairing?

O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2022 at 16:21 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
chunwangchi wrote:

The main attraction of the Stumpjumper Evo is its flexibility IMO. Or at least that’s what I love about mine. By altering the geometry I can change it from a trail bike to a mini-enduro bike, to a park bike, and it feels different in every configuration. It’s a reasonable climber IMO.

Swat box is useful, but I’m still working out how best to use it, it can be a bit fiddly to get things like tyre plugs out in a hurry.

The spec is reasonable, but some of the cheaper models lack a bash guard which is poor.

I would think it would compliment an Epic Evo in a quiver, however I can’t help but wonder if something slightly bigger (like the next Enduro) would be an even better pairing?

I'm currently in an Epic Evo, and I just left an Enduro (great sled, just didn't take advantage of it). The previous posts are what my thinking was regarding the SJ Evo as a second bike, and mine is currently being built up so I am a happy guy!

That said, as stated previously, the EE is remarkably capable. I ride the US Northeast, and aside from chunky rock gardens I'm pretty comfortable on that bike.

O+
Posted: Dec 30, 2022 at 17:38 Quote
Hard question to answer. Think there’s a little overlap still between the EE and Stevo. I would say that it’s the versatility that makes the Stevo a great bike so if you’re traveling and don’t want to worry if you’re over or under bikes then the Stevo is a great way to go. Also is a good quiver of one for folks that live near trails that warrant it or visit bike parks sometimes.

But for a quiver I think either a fun hardtail and Stevo or the EE and Enduro make more sense IMO.

Posted: Jan 4, 2023 at 12:18 Quote
For swat box storage, throw away the tool bag that comes with it and get a Camelbak tool roll You can't pack it full, but you can easily fit the essentials like a multi tool, CO2 and refill, bottle of Stans, tire plugs, band aids, alcohol wipes, zip ties, Leatherman, etc. They all fit in the tool roll which is reasonably easy to get in and out of the swat box. Trek and Santa Cruz have good options too. The Bontrager BITS bag and the Santa Cruz Glovebox kit (2 bags) are great options as well.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015045
Mobile Version of Website