21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
O+
Posted: Jan 24, 2023 at 17:39 Quote
Gnougat wrote:
So I reached out to CK, and here's what the customer sales rep shared:

"After hearing from customers, the DropSet5 is incompatible with the flip chip headtube that allows for a slacker headtube angle. It sounds to me like perhaps this is only true in one of the flip chip orientations as many customers have reported that it's a no-fit as the bearing cap rubs on the frame. If that's not the case for you, I'd be curious to know if you've tried to use the headtube angle adjust feature and if so, which size frame you have? "

What they shared is consistent with own experience - I've only been running my headset cups in either neutral or +1deg, which would explain why it's fit just fine for me thus far. I'm on an S2 frame.

Post necro, but I'm curious to hear if this has been the experience for others? I just installed the top part of the CK headset, no play at all with the topcap torqued to 3Nm. Bottom is still the stock FSA until I get a new face plate for the CK. I'm running the headset in the neutral position on an S4.

Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 7:29 Quote
My '23 Pro comes in this week, stoked to get it built up over the weekend.

Posted: Jan 25, 2023 at 10:23 Quote
Gnougat wrote:
Lillski wrote:
My rovals as supplied with the Stevo have been fine
The E1900 isn’t really an upgrade imho
I had a set of these wheels and they dinged fairly easy tbh

Maybe I'm being a little harsh on them, my only comparisons are a set of i9 Trail S Hydras and a WAO Convergence wheelset, both of which cost significantly more than the Rovals, so not really fair comparisons.

Ha ha yes, I imagine the Rovals would come out worst in that comparison.

Posted: Jan 26, 2023 at 9:57 Quote
From my extensive research on aluminum wheelsets over the past few months, I would agree that the Roval Traverse and E 1900 are about the same level. If purchasing aftermarket wheels I'd save up until I could afford the EX 1700 wheelset. After that, you need to go carbon which doubles the price.

But if you just need a temporary wheelset which can then be a backup set later on, then a used set of Roval Traverse would be worth it for maybe around $300 USD.

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2023 at 11:06 Quote
I got scared off by the E 1900 dent comment and got the Hunt enduro wide V2 for 425 plus some taxes. The local rovals were 350 so it was worth the peace of mind for the extra bit.

O+
Posted: Jan 26, 2023 at 16:39 Quote
sjv13 wrote:
From my extensive research on aluminum wheelsets over the past few months, I would agree that the Roval Traverse and E 1900 are about the same level. If purchasing aftermarket wheels I'd save up until I could afford the EX 1700 wheelset. After that, you need to go carbon which doubles the price.

But if you just need a temporary wheelset which can then be a backup set later on, then a used set of Roval Traverse would be worth it for maybe around $300 USD.

This! EX1700 on all my bikes. Could I afford more? Hell yeah. But why? They just work. Again and again.

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2023 at 7:31 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
sjv13 wrote:

This! EX1700 on all my bikes. Could I afford more? Hell yeah. But why? They just work. Again and again.

350 hubs to EX 511s come to around $800 as well. great option for a high performance AL wheelset. basically the same as the EX 1700, just a little heavier and with 32 j bend spokes as opposed to 28 straight pull

Posted: Jan 27, 2023 at 9:51 Quote
skivt27 wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:
sjv13 wrote:

350 hubs to EX 511s come to around $800 as well. great option for a high performance AL wheelset. basically the same as the EX 1700, just a little heavier and with 32 j bend spokes as opposed to 28 straight pull

I'm surprised they're that much. That would be a great wheelset though. For $900 you can do Hydras and Flows, if you don't like seals that work and want to make as much noise as possible.

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2023 at 10:30 Quote
bentin wrote:
skivt27 wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:

I'm surprised they're that much. That would be a great wheelset though. For $900 you can do Hydras and Flows, if you don't like seals that work and want to make as much noise as possible.

That’s the point. They aren’t cheap, but they are like the special forces of wheels. You abuse them, try to hurt them and they smile right back at you without any of the whizzy whizz.

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2023 at 12:31 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
bentin wrote:
skivt27 wrote:

That’s the point. They aren’t cheap, but they are like the special forces of wheels. You abuse them, try to hurt them and they smile right back at you without any of the whizzy whizz.

in my experience Flows (mk3 was what i had) are nowhere near as durable as EX 511s

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2023 at 15:45 Quote
skivt27 wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:
sjv13 wrote:

Had these on my Enduro, they were immune to anything they came across.

O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2023 at 20:11 Quote
I just ordered up a new set of 350s laced to EX511s and it was $806 in total. I had previously been on some QBP built EX511s laced to XTR hubs that I got for cheap and no matter how hard I beat them up over the past 18 months, I never once had to true them or had a single dent. I’ve ridden plenty of high engagement hubs over the years and it’s just not my cup of tea when you’re main priority is descending.

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2023 at 11:50 Quote
skivt27 wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:
bentin wrote:

in my experience Flows (mk3 was what i had) are nowhere near as durable as EX 511s

I’ve heard great things about these wheels, thinking about them on a new build (enduro), but I’m sort of addicted to the SC reserve warranty…. However, I’m not a fan of the I9 hub options with them as of late…

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2023 at 14:55 Quote
afterbangin wrote:
I just ordered up a new set of 350s laced to EX511s and it was $806 in total. I had previously been on some QBP built EX511s laced to XTR hubs that I got for cheap and no matter how hard I beat them up over the past 18 months, I never once had to true them or had a single dent. I’ve ridden plenty of high engagement hubs over the years and it’s just not my cup of tea when you’re main priority is descending.

From Fanatik?

Posted: Jan 28, 2023 at 21:53 Quote
Cantle406 wrote:
skivt27 wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:

I’ve heard great things about these wheels, thinking about them on a new build (enduro), but I’m sort of addicted to the SC reserve warranty…. However, I’m not a fan of the I9 hub options with them as of late…

You can still order them with 350’s. Ask your local dealer to order some for you.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011255
Mobile Version of Website