21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 8:03 Quote
That sucks man. I’ve been toying with the idea of doubling up the Down tube anyway. Guess I will now! Pics and a better description of what happened would be appreciated though. Mine has taken a bit of punishment and still looks new, but I’ll definitely pay more attention now

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 8:06 Quote
glp79 wrote:
WARNING, the '21 Evo does NOT have sufficient downtube protection.

My '21 S4 made it 4 rides before a run-of-the-mill rock strike instantly compromised the downtube frame guard and cracked the frame. I've had strikes like this dozens of times and NEVER had an issue.

Don't let this happen to you. Specialized will refuse to warranty the frame, even though IMO the frame guard did not function as designed, and therefore does not meet the expectations of implied warranty under the Magnuson-Moss Act that states products must be "fit for the purposes such goods are ordinarily used".
First I agree that Specialized should definitely honor the warranty, no question. It failed while doing what it was designed to do, right?

With all the tests I've seen (if legitimate), these carbon frames are supposed to be stronger and take more overall punishment than steel and alloy frames. Do you think there was any inherent or manufactured flaw in that specific frame to suffer a crack under something so common and mundane as a rock strike from riding?

~JSV

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 9:27 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
enduroFactory wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:

Any idea why?

US online support mentioned to me a compatibility issue with the coil shock.

Like any coil or one type of coil specifically?

No answer what the issue was when I asked.

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 10:45 Quote
Chief2slo wrote:
That sucks man. I’ve been toying with the idea of doubling up the Down tube anyway. Guess I will now! Pics and a better description of what happened would be appreciated though. Mine has taken a bit of punishment and still looks new, but I’ll definitely pay more attention now

Maybe that’s the reason it comes with an extra 3M downtube tape ...so we can double up

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 11:55 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
glp79 wrote:

My '21 S4 made it 4 rides before a run-of-the-mill rock strike instantly compromised the downtube frame guard and cracked the frame. I've had strikes like this dozens of times and NEVER had an issue.

Don't let this happen to you. Specialized will refuse to warranty the frame, even though IMO the frame guard did not function as designed, and therefore does not meet the expectations of implied warranty under the Magnuson-Moss Act that states products must be "fit for the purposes such goods are ordinarily used".

Photos?

Dropped the bike off at LBS. Need to grab some photos. Basically, the downtube armor had a split in it, the paint underneath had a chip, but there were semi-circular stress cracks in the paint about an inch around the chip. If you tapped on it with an allen wrench you could hear a nice "pop" around the damage, and a hollow thunk where it was cracked.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 11:57 Quote
Chief2slo wrote:

I'm going to grab some pictures, but essentially the front tire kicked up a rock about the size of a pack of playing cards, and it immediately compromised that black plastic frame guard/armor right in front of the BB. My big concern is that the bottom bracket on this thing rides pretty low, and I'm going to have zero faith in that black downtube guard now. Thinking of making a carbon over-guard to double up the frame armor.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 11:58 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
glp79 wrote:

First I agree that Specialized should definitely honor the warranty, no question. It failed while doing what it was designed to do, right?

With all the tests I've seen (if legitimate), these carbon frames are supposed to be stronger and take more overall punishment than steel and alloy frames. Do you think there was any inherent or manufactured flaw in that specific frame to suffer a crack under something so common and mundane as a rock strike from riding?

~JSV

I actually think the FRAME was not the problem. It was the black plastic frame GUARD that failed to protect the frame. They put the thing there for this exact purpose, but it didn't do its job.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 12:30 Quote
Seems then like there would be two possibilities toward an actionable claim.
1. If the manufacturer installed the protectant, and their design assumes/claims [it] to be adequate equipment for providing insurance against just such incident(s), then the manufacturer would burden some (or all) negligence for the determining that the specific part chosen to perform [that] protection failed to work as intended. So in that circumstance the collective frame AND protector failed, in tandem, providing the said "strike" was within the parameter(s) of expected usage of the product(s)--in this case, the bicycle "doing what it was designed to do".

2. If the protector itself failed (IF knowing the frame couldn't perform and/or resist impact properly without the manufacturer's chosen inclusion of that particular piece of equipment); the manufacturer should be negligent for the decision to utilize what [they] believed would perform adequate protection OF the frame. So the manufacturer's burden should be to replace the frame, AND the protector, subsequently filing claim (themselves) against the manufacturer OF the protector.
When a situation such as the latter is the case, typically it lends itself to a "manufacturer's recall".

If you DO decide to pursue this against Specialized, I would think it to be wise to keep all parts as they were without modifying and/or replacing anything associated to, connected to, or attached to, the frame that was damaged. Therefore you'd be protected from subsequent claim(s) of you, the user, altering any part of the equipment designed to perform aforementioned intended usage.

Sorry if I was wordy. I couldn't think of a better way to explain it, and I sincerely feel like Specialized should honor some or all of this damage under warranty. None of us would want this happening to ourselves either. I really hope you can solve the issue.

~JSV

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 14:22 Quote
glp79 wrote:

My 2013 evo sufferd a similar fate on its 2nd outing, big plate shaped rock split it under the BB, no luck with the warranty, I stuck some heli tape over it and it and hammered it to death and it never gave up.
Riding rocky trails on a carbon frame has always haunted me since ????

O+
Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 16:59 Quote
calicartel wrote:
photo

New bike day....doesn’t fit under the tree

What size Evo did you go with? And how tall are you?
I put a deposit on an Evo Comp as well. I’m 6’3 and went with the S4 in black.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 17:06 Quote
It may not fit UNDER the tree... but I'll bet it would have NO problem riding OVER it!

Beautiful bike! Love Stumpjumpers!

I'm surprised too, one of you is 6'3" and riding an S4. I'm 6' and feel the S5 & XLs are just right. The S4 when I test ride them feel like a kids bike or something. I'm just so comfortable on my Specialized XL & S5 frames.

~JSV

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 18:00 Quote
Rickycampbell09 wrote:

I agree with JSV. You might think about a S5. I'm 197cm and the S6 fits just right. My girlfriend has a S4 and she's 180cm.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 20:32 Quote
Rickycampbell09 wrote:

Also 6’1” and S5 with 40mm stem is perfect. I feel like at 6’3” the s4 would feel extremely short in the cockpit unless you put a silly long stem on it.

O+
Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 23:20 Quote
Rickycampbell09 wrote:
calicartel wrote:
photo

New bike day....doesn’t fit under the tree

5’8
It’s a S3...I went with reach number to determine...440-450 reach

O+
Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 23:49 Quote
188cm on an S4 here & 50mm stem.

I’ve had bikes before similar size as the S5 & know they are too big for me & my riding style. Same goes for sun 50mm stems - Can’t go round corners & find them too much hard work to be anything other than a passenger. When I race, I always have better results on a slightly smaller bike (which, relatively speaking, is still a big bike compared to most stuff over the past few years.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014335
Mobile Version of Website