21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2023 at 13:56 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
Tinshield wrote:
Blownoutrides wrote:

It’s kinda shocking how minor 10mm changes in stem length affect bike handling. I would not have guessed.

Why would you? 10mm makes no difference.

I went from a 40mm to a 50mm stem and it made a massive difference in how the bike handled, especially under braking and in corners.

“Massive”? Cmon now

O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2023 at 13:57 Quote
“Massive”? C’mon now….

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2023 at 20:33 Quote
Blownoutrides wrote:
jbess001 wrote:
dirtdiggler wrote:
I am thinking of grabbing a 2023 Expert while they’re on sale. I am about 6’-1/2” tall. I’m considering an S5 but not sure if it will be too long for slower technical trail riding for my height range. Anyone here around the same height use an S5? Any regrets?

I’m 6’1” on an S5. I wouldn’t say I regret it, but I definitely think I’d be better off on an S4. The reach isn’t much of a problem (I run a shorter stem, pretty narrow bars, and the slack headset setting with max spacers under the stem, so the effective reach doesn’t feel much different than my xl Capra did), but the wheelbase gets in the way quite often on some of my local trails. It’s a blast on fast flowy stuff, but a bit of a pig on anything tight and technical.

For me running a shorter stem made a too-long reach even worse. Weight was already rear-wheel biased because the front wheel was too far away, then it was made worse with 32mm stem that put me even further back. Front wheel got light and drifty and wanted to understeer (go wide) in corners. Going to a 50mm stem improved things a lot, but still had to consciously weight the front to keep traction. Went from an S5 Enduro (510) that felt about right to an XXL Megatower 2 (520 w/ super high stack) that was all kinds of too long to an S5 StEvo (500) that feels so, so good. Switching back to the Enduro the front felt light.

My sense is that the MTB world is still suffering a bit under the influence of vestigial road geo where body position is all about pedaling ergo rather than performance. The idea that you can finesse “effective reach” with stem/bar/spacers when the actual reach is off target is misleading - you can get your hands in the same spot relative to your body but they aren’t in the right spot relative to that front wheel.

Obviously stack plays into this too, but this is already getting long LOL. At least for me, messing around with the cockpit to remedy a bad bike fit just seemed to make matters worse once things pointed downhill. Nobody wants to accept the idea that they got the wrong size because the solution is expensive AF. It’s tough though when you’re right between sizes - I guess it’s a strong argument to steer away from brands/models that put you on the bubble.

YMMV

Different strokes for different folks. I’m not struggling to weight the front end downhill (it’s the most balanced bike I’ve ever owned, by far, and it absolutely rails corners without having to give any thought to body position). My only issue with it now is that its overall wheel base is too long. That said, my original point was exactly what you suggest: I made a mistake going with an S5. Even if I’ve managed to make the reach work for me, it’s definitely not ideal, and I’m definitely not suggesting anyone else do the same. Hence why I think OP should probably go with an S4.

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2023 at 6:04 Quote
Deleted double post.

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2023 at 9:46 Quote
Maybe you need to rethink your riding position. Modern geometry bikes have to be ridden in the so-called attack mode. If you drive lazily in an upright position, you won't get enough pressure on the front wheel.

Posted: Mar 15, 2023 at 11:44 Quote
Tinshield wrote:
“Massive”? C’mon now….

Are you "that guy" that laughs at all the bikes for sale on FB Marketplace?

Posted: Mar 15, 2023 at 11:56 Quote
mcharza wrote:
Maybe you need to rethink your riding position. Modern geometry bikes have to be ridden in the so-called attack mode. If you drive lazily in an upright position, you won't get enough pressure on the front wheel.

Different body dimensions. I'm 6.3", and even on an S5 my butt is borderline too much to the back. With too short a stem, I have an ankward attack position. Doesn't feel natural. If I got an S6 it would simply be too much bike for my local trails.

The S5 with a 50mm stem (which I believe is stock, I just built mine assuming I'd want a shorter stem) is just perfect for me.

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2023 at 14:12 Quote
knutspeed wrote:
mcharza wrote:

Different body dimensions. I'm 6.3", and even on an S5 my butt is borderline too much to the back. With too short a stem, I have an ankward attack position. Doesn't feel natural. If I got an S6 it would simply be too much bike for my local trails.

The S5 with a 50mm stem (which I believe is stock, I just built mine assuming I'd want a shorter stem) is just perfect for me.

Exactly — it all comes down to each person’s specific proportions. I’m 6’1, but I have relatively long legs and a short torso. In the attack position, the horizontal distance between my hips and shoulders isn’t very long for someone my height. The combo of the Evo’s reach + 50mm stem + 800mm wide bars had me reaching too far forward, which made it really difficult for me to naturally maintain a balanced position over the bottom bracket (I could do it, but it took conscious effort). Bringing the “effective reach” back towards me made the bike feel more balanced, not less.

Posted: Mar 15, 2023 at 18:25 Quote
6’1” on an S5 just feels like a long board. I’m all over the place. But dammit, it works great. My 15 year old single speed is a short board scalpel, and I don’t even miss the dropper. They’re so different from each other but both are fun at what they’re good at.

Posted: Mar 16, 2023 at 0:57 Quote
6"2 with long legs on a s5 and 40mm stem feels perfect to me, but she's a big barge. I'd like to try it with a s1-4 seatstay sometime.

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2023 at 1:44 Quote
jbess001 wrote:
knutspeed wrote:
mcharza wrote:

Exactly — it all comes down to each person’s specific proportions. I’m 6’1, but I have relatively long legs and a short torso. In the attack position, the horizontal distance between my hips and shoulders isn’t very long for someone my height. The combo of the Evo’s reach + 50mm stem + 800mm wide bars had me reaching too far forward, which made it really difficult for me to naturally maintain a balanced position over the bottom bracket (I could do it, but it took conscious effort). Bringing the “effective reach” back towards me made the bike feel more balanced, not less.
My writing was a little lacking. In this bike model, it is good to have a slightly longer stem, about 40-50 mm, so that the balance is maintained and the front tire has enough grip.

Posted: Mar 16, 2023 at 2:18 Quote
mcharza wrote:
jbess001 wrote:
knutspeed wrote:

My writing was a little lacking. In this bike model, it is good to have a slightly longer stem, about 40-50 mm, so that the balance is maintained and the front tire has enough grip.

I'm not sure you can tell someone what stem length to run. Lots of factors going on!

Posted: Mar 16, 2023 at 14:50 Quote
Anyone put weights in their swat box for downhill days to increase stability/suspension performance?

Posted: Mar 16, 2023 at 15:01 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
Anyone put weights in their swat box for downhill days to increase stability/suspension performance?

How much do you want the bike to weigh? lol

after pedals, full swat, dh tires/inserts, and water, it's not crazy to get these bikes near 40lbs fairly easily lol

Posted: Mar 16, 2023 at 18:22 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:

The cheapest way to make your bike feel more settled is to run cushcore and reduce tire psi a few clicks. Added bonus: It adds weight, so you get to check that box too.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012518
Mobile Version of Website