21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Mar 17, 2023 at 4:31 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
ibishreddin wrote:
Anyone put weights in their swat box for downhill days to increase stability/suspension performance?

The cheapest way to make your bike feel more settled is to run cushcore and reduce tire psi a few clicks. Added bonus: It adds weight, so you get to check that box too.

Unfortunately it adds weight in the wrong place (unsprung mass).

Posted: Mar 17, 2023 at 11:35 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
ibishreddin wrote:
Anyone put weights in their swat box for downhill days to increase stability/suspension performance?

How much do you want the bike to weigh? lol

after pedals, full swat, dh tires/inserts, and water, it's not crazy to get these bikes near 40lbs fairly easily lol

I love how ebikes ride going dh is why I ask haha

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2023 at 13:23 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
Tinshield wrote:
“Massive”? C’mon now….

Are you "that guy" that laughs at all the bikes for sale on FB Marketplace?

:-) not all of them

Posted: Mar 19, 2023 at 8:12 Quote
I’ve got to say, it’s taken me a while to work out how best to use it, but I’m loving the pack-free riding that a bottle, swat-box and swat tool enable.

It’ll be hard to go back to a bike without one.

Posted: Mar 19, 2023 at 8:15 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
ZenkiS14 wrote:
ibishreddin wrote:

How much do you want the bike to weigh? lol

after pedals, full swat, dh tires/inserts, and water, it's not crazy to get these bikes near 40lbs fairly easily lol

I love how ebikes ride going dh is why I ask haha

I feel ya. Stable in the air too.

Not so great in tight gnarly tech though.

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2023 at 9:50 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
Pdrenth wrote:
ibishreddin wrote:

The cheapest way to make your bike feel more settled is to run cushcore and reduce tire psi a few clicks. Added bonus: It adds weight, so you get to check that box too.

The frame is the "sprung mass", wheels would be "unsprung mass"

Posted: Mar 19, 2023 at 10:22 Quote
johnovey wrote:
BarneyStinson wrote:
Pdrenth wrote:

Indeed. So as I pointed out, adding weight to the wheels adds to the unsprung mass to the detriment of handling.

Posted: Mar 19, 2023 at 13:36 Quote
If you want ebike stability wrap some lead round your bottom bracket!

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2023 at 16:45 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
johnovey wrote:
BarneyStinson wrote:

Indeed. So as I pointed out, adding weight to the wheels adds to the unsprung mass to the detriment of handling.
OOPs, my bad, I thought he was talking about adding weight to the frame, guess I missed the cushcore comment.

Posted: Mar 21, 2023 at 6:17 Quote
johnovey wrote:
BarneyStinson wrote:
johnovey wrote:

OOPs, my bad, I thought he was talking about adding weight to the frame, guess I missed the cushcore comment.

I was really amazed at how much more "coil" the rear felt with cushcore. I also tried a Tanus insert and it's much lighter, offers similar puncture protection, but does not damp the feel of the tire like cushcore does. Give them a try. I think you'll like it.

Posted: Mar 21, 2023 at 6:20 Quote
Tinshield wrote:
“Massive”? C’mon now….

sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt. My opinion that within your optimal range, 10mm, wont be very noticeable, but near the edges of that range, 10mm could make a huge difference, IE its not linear. Some riders may have smaller optimal ranges than others for fit as well. This likely has to do with limb vs torso length, injury/flexibility, and age. I've noticed that I have lost a bit of the ability to "fit anything" than I used to even since 5 years ago.

I went with an S5, simply because the S6 is so far outside of what I'm used to in wheelbase length, I may someday want to be on an S6, but I sensed it would take too long for me to get there.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2023 at 8:20 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
johnovey wrote:
BarneyStinson wrote:

I was really amazed at how much more "coil" the rear felt with cushcore. I also tried a Tanus insert and it's much lighter, offers similar puncture protection, but does not damp the feel of the tire like cushcore does. Give them a try. I think you'll like it.

Rimpact Pro offers all the benefits of Cushcore, including the dampening, but at a much lower cost and weight.

Posted: Mar 22, 2023 at 2:41 Quote
Added about 10 lbs of dead weight to the swat box in the frame for some downhill at windrock. Definately made a big difference in stability

Posted: Mar 22, 2023 at 2:43 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
Pdrenth wrote:
johnovey wrote:

Rimpact Pro offers all the benefits of Cushcore, including the dampening, but at a much lower cost and weight.

Not quite. Apparently Rimpact has a sharper ramp up than Cushcore and so gives a different ride feel?

Posted: Mar 22, 2023 at 2:51 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:

Front and rear for me, and I agree it makes total suspension system feel very supple, mainly by taking out the small bumps and square edges.

Apparently it also reduces the amount of travel you use by ~12% so in essence it makes your bike that bit bigger.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011468
Mobile Version of Website