21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 14:20 Quote
Thought I'd share my bike

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 14:55 Quote
silkyrhino wrote:
Rickycampbell09 wrote:

What size Evo did you go with? And how tall are you?
I put a deposit on an Evo Comp as well. I’m 6’3 and went with the S4 in black.

Also 6’1” and S5 with 40mm stem is perfect. I feel like at 6’3” the s4 would feel extremely short in the cockpit unless you put a silly long stem on it.

well, I had a standard XL Stumpy last season, and rode an '20 demo S3 Evo a bunch. I was torn. I want more the more playfulness that the s4 will bring, but the stability of the s5. also, my LBS here in the Yukon only had an S4 coming in. so it kinda settled it for me.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 15:03 Quote
RoPages wrote:

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 15:08 Quote
How are people liking the new Specialized tires? I haven't had a chance to ride them yet but I decided to swap out my e13 LG1r tires and give the new Specialized compounds a chance. The T9 feels very similar to the e13 Mopo to the touch but the squeeze test isn't exactly a scientific test lol. The casing is noticeably thinner than the LG1r casings so I'm a bit concerned I'll rip these up but we shall see. The light weight is nice though.

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 15:11 Quote
WalrusRider wrote:
How are people liking the new Specialized tires? I haven't had a chance to ride them yet but I decided to swap out my e13 LG1r tires and give the new Specialized compounds a chance. The T9 feels very similar to the e13 Mopo to the touch but the squeeze test isn't exactly a scientific test lol. The casing is noticeably thinner than the LG1r casings so I'm a bit concerned I'll rip these up but we shall see. The light weight is nice though.

I’m liking them so far. I’m a 200lb rider in Asheville so they take some hits. I do have carbon wheels though. But I am loving the light weight over my last set of black diamond casing tires

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 17:33 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
RoPages wrote:

Kin Sweet!

Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 18:21 Quote
@HobNob
See now that's indeed interesting. 188cm, what's that about maybe close to 6'2"?

Now I'm 6ft, riding XL & S5, and I just got a 40mm Renthal w/6deg rise replacing stock stem about the same reach because it feels just right. There's obviously no right or wrong here, it's just so interesting to see all these different riders choosing their sizes. What I see is so many go against what the shops and manufacturers suggest. If it were to someone with little to no real experience on trails or in the diirt however, I'd even suggest a 6ft person go w/a L or S4.

You ARE racing though you said. THAT may make a difference even to what I wanted to ride in that situation--the amount of control over terrain I think I'd need at consistently higher speeds, as well as not being on the bike for the same amount of time.

~JSV

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 16:06 Quote
For those looking Fanatik bikes have a few EVO frames in stock now. Wont last!

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
@HobNob
See now that's indeed interesting. 188cm, what's that about maybe close to 6'2"?

Now I'm 6ft, riding XL & S5, and I just got a 40mm Renthal w/6deg rise replacing stock stem about the same reach because it feels just right. There's obviously no right or wrong here, it's just so interesting to see all these different riders choosing their sizes. What I see is so many go against what the shops and manufacturers suggest. If it were to someone with little to no real experience on trails or in the diirt however, I'd even suggest a 6ft person go w/a L or S4.

You ARE racing though you said. THAT may make a difference even to what I wanted to ride in that situation--the amount of control over terrain I think I'd need at consistently higher speeds, as well as not being on the bike for the same amount of time.

~JSV

6'1" and a little bit, but probably shrinking now in reality!

The nice thing about S sizing and other brands is the dissassociation of seat tube length & bike size (to a degree) meaning you can size up, or down accordingly, to what works for you.

I don't like small bikes, and I don't like massive bikes either, having learnt from experience. Relatively speaking to stuff I rode 5 years ago, this thing is huge, but compared to most, I would say the S4 as a large, is pretty much the norm these days.

There is no right or wrong now really, you see people get all bent out of shape online because they are the same height & riding a bike a size smaller - but whatever, if it works, it works Smile

HobNob wrote:
188cm on an S4 here & 50mm stem.

I’ve had bikes before similar size as the S5 & know they are too big for me & my riding style. Same goes for sun 50mm stems - Can’t go round corners & find them too much hard work to be anything other than a passenger. When I race, I always have better results on a slightly smaller bike (which, relatively speaking, is still a big bike compared to most stuff over the past few years.

so did you change the 50mm to sth shorter? I get more and more the feeling that the 50mm stem does not quite fit the slack HA or is it just me? Any direct experiences here with smaller stems on a bike with „right“ sizing. (172cm -> s3)

Nope, I can't run shorter than 50mm, it doesn't work for me.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
whattheheel wrote:
RoPages wrote:

Also forgot to mention, the bike is an S4 and I'm 175 cm tall, handlebars cut to 780mm with the stock 50mm stem, but will soon slap a renthal Fatbar35 alloy with 40 mm rise and renthal apex 40mm stem! picture updates will come soon!!

Right now was time for a damper upgrade since the GRIP damper doesn't feel quite right for me!! I fitted a 2019 Grip2 damper which might allow me in the future to bump up the travel to 170, maybe idk we'll see! for now its time to ride it as is and tinker with the HSC/LSC/HSR/LSR clickers and maybe air pressure and tokens.

damper upgrade on my 2021 rythm fox 36 fork

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
@RoPages
I've been admiring the Santa Cruz thread, but seeing THIS is what reminds me of why I went Stumpjumper! Beautiful in all black too, that EVO. SJ's seriously have to be the coolest bikes and this asymmetrical design is unique too.
Did you say it's a 2019 or 2020? Funny too I was planning on FOX36 fork and RS shock, but I love these PIKES in my SJ expert so much I went the opposite w/DPX2 shock.

Before I got what I'm riding now, I WAS going to wait for the 2021 EVO but my have to wait for 2022 now. I think you have a little more room in the SWAT w/the EVO that true?

You're going with 35mm bars too eh. I just ordered the Renthal apex stem, but I have Deity blacklabel bars (31.Cool .

That bike's amazing! Good goin' w/that!

~JSV

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
RoPages wrote:
whattheheel wrote:
RoPages wrote:

Also forgot to mention, the bike is an S4 and I'm 175 cm tall, handlebars cut to 780mm with the stock 50mm stem, but will soon slap a renthal Fatbar35 alloy with 40 mm rise and renthal apex 40mm stem! picture updates will come soon!!

Right now was time for a damper upgrade since the GRIP damper doesn't feel quite right for me!! I fitted a 2019 Grip2 damper which might allow me in the future to bump up the travel to 170, maybe idk we'll see! for now its time to ride it as is and tinker with the HSC/LSC/HSR/LSR clickers and maybe air pressure and tokens.

damper upgrade on my 2021 rythm fox 36 fork

Very nice....was it a fairly straight forward install?

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
Just swapped the Roval wheels on my expert and weighed them after I stripped them down. Total Weight is 1955g, 931 front and 1024 rear with tape no stems. I saved a whopping 50g switching to Hunt Carbons, that I promptly erased by adding Tannus Tubless Armor....

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008268
Mobile Version of Website