21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 11:32 Quote
While we are on subject of custom Evo's. I will show you mine.
This is my custom 21 evo comp mullet pro. Smile
Started life as standard evo comp pink. Wheels change to Hope pro 4 on DT ex511 with Maxxis rubber, brakes: Guide RSC, Fox 36 Kashima fit 4 on old 29" lowers, running Sram eagle and Fox transfer.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 13:43 Quote
Chief2slo wrote:
Just swapped the Roval wheels on my expert and weighed them after I stripped them down. Total Weight is 1955g, 931 front and 1024 rear with tape no stems. I saved a whopping 50g switching to Hunt Carbons, that I promptly erased by adding Tannus Tubless Armor....
Were they Roval Traverse carbon, you have any issues w/the rims, or going strictly for lighter weight?

~JSV

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 13:49 Quote
@student
I often ask other SJ riders about tires. I see you're 27.5 on the back but you have the same model tire front & rear?

That color looks even better in your photos than on the site. These bikes always look better in person too though, but they don't capture cool colors well with no background contrast on the Specialized site.

~JSV

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 14:04 Quote
Hey, just put a deposit down on a back-ordered matte black Evo Comp. I've never done it before, but I am thinking about frame protection for this bike (Ride Wrap, 3M clear tape, etc). I was wondering, what are peoples thoughts on frame protection on a matte paint finish? I'm guessing the clear tape will be really noticeable, because you will see the patches of glossy tape on the matte finish? Any way of getting around this?

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 14:25 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
@student
I often ask other SJ riders about tires. I see you're 27.5 on the back but you have the same model tire front & rear?

That color looks even better in your photos than on the site. These bikes always look better in person too though, but they don't capture cool colors well with no background contrast on the Specialized site.

~JSV
Yes, i whent for High Roller II on both wheels, i will be running most of time on rather hard pack spots, so good combo i think. On my dh bike i have assegai front, dhr2 at the back.

Colour is verry odd, it all depends on light you are, in darker day its gray, on sunny its pink’ish.
My frame is covered with ridewrap, gloss. Very good product, im happy with result.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 14:27 Quote
Just got the email and thought I would share.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 15:06 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Chief2slo wrote:
Just swapped the Roval wheels on my expert and weighed them after I stripped them down. Total Weight is 1955g, 931 front and 1024 rear with tape no stems. I saved a whopping 50g switching to Hunt Carbons, that I promptly erased by adding Tannus Tubless Armor....
Were they Roval Traverse carbon, you have any issues w/the rims, or going strictly for lighter weight?

~JSV

Nope, not the carbons. Just the Standard Aluminum. No issues with the wheels yet besides low hub engagement without option to upgrade. My last SJ had Roval traverse wheels as well though and They dented bad enough to break the bead and not seal a few times but inserts fixed that issue. I got these for Christmas though, otherwise I doubt I’d have upgraded. I will say that the wheels feel very premium and the engagement is fantastic.

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 15:15 Quote
coast2coast-4 wrote:
Hey, just put a deposit down on a back-ordered matte black Evo Comp. I've never done it before, but I am thinking about frame protection for this bike (Ride Wrap, 3M clear tape, etc). I was wondering, what are peoples thoughts on frame protection on a matte paint finish? I'm guessing the clear tape will be really noticeable, because you will see the patches of glossy tape on the matte finish? Any way of getting around this?

I went with AMS tape...add some character to a plain frame

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 15:47 Quote
whattheheel wrote:
Just got the email and thought I would share.

Well that sucks!

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 3:01 Quote
student wrote:
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
@student

~JSV
Yes, i whent for High Roller II on both wheels, i will be running most of time on rather hard pack spots, so good combo i think. On my dh bike i have assegai front, dhr2 at the back.

Colour is verry odd, it all depends on light you are, in darker day its gray, on sunny its pink’ish.
My frame is covered with ridewrap, gloss. Very good product, im happy with result.

very cool to see more mullets. I’m still waiting for my linkage. How was the change so far? Did you notice a lot compared to full 29?
And I think the color is great! Smile

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 5:11 Quote
moewe wrote:
student wrote:
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
@student

~JSV

Colour is very odd, it all depends on light you are, in darker day its gray, on sunny its pink’ish.

very cool to see more mullets. I’m still waiting for my linkage. How was the change so far? Did you notice a lot compared to full 29?

As you can see from pictures, we still have snow here, so I haven't ridden it yet. No comments there. Frown
Linkage swap was very easy nothing too hard, part number for link is S204300005 just in case.

Yes, it's strange that so few mullets are made, for me, that was no-brainer choice, and seeing a test's on YouTube, more people should go with this option.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 11:50 Quote
student wrote:
moewe wrote:
student wrote:

Colour is very odd, it all depends on light you are, in darker day its gray, on sunny its pink’ish.

As you can see from pictures, we still have snow here, so I haven't ridden it yet. No comments there. Frown
Linkage swap was very easy nothing too hard, part number for link is S204300005 just in case.

Yes, it's strange that so few mullets are made, for me, that was no-brainer choice, and seeing a test's on YouTube, more people should go with this option.

Mullet link reduces shock progressivity on the evo so I think that's why its not been that popular so far.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 12:01 Quote
AD4M wrote:
student wrote:
moewe wrote:

Mullet link reduces shock progressivity on the evo so I think that's why its not been that popular so far.

I heard this too and can confirm it needs a volume spacer thrown in the DPX2 for hard riding.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 12:14 Quote
The inadequacy of the stock DPX2 is a bit frustrating and something Specialized needs to address. According to Fox the DPX2 on the Evo should not be used with anything larger than the .6 volume spacer which means those of us who are heavier and/or ride aggressively can't add any additional volume spacers in the shock. I know people are either unaware or ignoring Fox's guidance and running .86 spacers anyway and seem to be doing ok. I tossed my DPX2 in the bin after a very short time. Considering the bike is intended as a hyper aggressive trail bike I think it should come better equipped.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 13:23 Quote
AD4M wrote:

any real proof of this? chart or anything?
as far as i know, the 27.5 link form specialized is identical to 29'' model just compensate the smaller wheel.

correct me if I'm wrong. thanks

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011014
Mobile Version of Website