21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2023 at 19:02 Quote
sean-curran wrote:
What do folks think of SDU vs Vivid on the stumpy, I'm 215 lbs, so that likely plays a role.

Raced an enduro on it last weekend, was a lot of fun, and super muddy, so not really the best way to decide if the Float X is good enough, but it felt like it left a bit to be desired.

The bike is used as a enduro bike mostly, or atleast when I'm just using it as a trail bike, the rides are descent focused. I have a previous gen Lyric Ultimate on it, should probably be a Zeb, but I'm happy with it.

The other option, is not spend too much on this, and move on to something else, which seems like a more expensive proposition. For what its worth though, I do think this was a great bike for the enduro I raced, so I wont be quick to move on.

From everything I've read on here, the SDU is an excellent option for the bike. I also don't think a Zeb is a prerequisite for enduro racing. Just take a look at Charlie Murray (EWS racer) who chose to race the Stumpjumper over the Enduro and went with a Lyrik instead of the Zeb. Doing a few races here and there doesn't mean you need everything to be bigger, IMO.

Throw a SDU on there with a cascade link and you'll have a fast, stable, and extremely capable bike.

Posted: Nov 5, 2023 at 7:37 Quote
Ici01 wrote:
Quick question:
Are there any Evo owners among you who weigh 240 lbs or more who are satisfied with the bike out of the box?
I ordered the last available Evo in my size (S6) directly from Specialized, but of course I can't test it on trails within the return period. I only did one lap on the road, but of course that doesn't mean anything (except that I'm very comfortable with its geometry).

There is a lot of discussion that the Evo is not suitable for heavier bikers. Apart from that, you really need a lot of pressure in the Float X to get a sag below 30, if you're as heavy as me.

Briefly about me:
Height approx 6.5 ft (198cm)
Weight approx 243 lbs (110kg)

In itself it would be my dream bike, alternatively only a Sentinel would be an option. But the Evo was supposed to be a replacement for my Stumpi, which is more or less 20 years old; now, after a very long MTB break for some more demanding terrain.

I would be very interested in your experience and opinion. Thanks in advance

I’m 235lb geared up. The shortcomings of the rear suspension are well documented but it’s not necessarily due to rider weight. You’re going to have the same complaints as people much lighter than you… Start with 28% sag, maybe even less. If you find it bottoms out easily, add the next larger spacer to increase ramp-up progression and prevent (hard) bottom out. Rinse and repeat, ensuring you are still using full travel. It’s counter intuitive until you learn more about suspension kinematics, but less sag will result in a plusher ride. Lots of videos and articles explain why and in more detail, but basically the shock moves easily at the top of the stroke and pedaling efficiency is better at proper sag. The bike will feel better everywhere at proper sag and all discussions of damping or volume reducers are irrelevant if this simple aspect isn’t set up correctly.

If you are still in your return period, you may consider going down a size. You’d be on the upper end of an S5 but as an owner of the S6, it is soooo long feeling on tight trails and the S5 would be more fun. For me, at 6’8”, the S5 is too small. But you can probably get away with it.

Posted: Nov 5, 2023 at 7:48 Quote
sean-curran wrote:
What do folks think of SDU vs Vivid on the stumpy, I'm 215 lbs, so that likely plays a role.

Raced an enduro on it last weekend, was a lot of fun, and super muddy, so not really the best way to decide if the Float X is good enough, but it felt like it left a bit to be desired.

The bike is used as a enduro bike mostly, or atleast when I'm just using it as a trail bike, the rides are descent focused. I have a previous gen Lyric Ultimate on it, should probably be a Zeb, but I'm happy with it.

The other option, is not spend too much on this, and move on to something else, which seems like a more expensive proposition. For what its worth though, I do think this was a great bike for the enduro I raced, so I wont be quick to move on.

Give the new Cane Creek air-coil shock a look (I forget the name). The PB test said it had better end-stroke feel compared to shocks with hydraulic bottom out and the ramp up is adjustable. Definitely Evo compatible too, though at 215lbs you would need a 700# or 750# spring.

Posted: Nov 7, 2023 at 6:52 Quote
secondfavteacher wrote:
sean-curran wrote:

From everything I've read on here, the SDU is an excellent option for the bike. I also don't think a Zeb is a prerequisite for enduro racing. Just take a look at Charlie Murray (EWS racer) who chose to race the Stumpjumper over the Enduro and went with a Lyrik instead of the Zeb. Doing a few races here and there doesn't mean you need everything to be bigger, IMO.

Throw a SDU on there with a cascade link and you'll have a fast, stable, and extremely capable bike.

Thanks, agreed on the fork. I actually love the lyrik, and think most people are over doing forks. My size is more the reason I said that (215 is my healthy weight, 230 is more like where I am other parts of the year, ha).

Yeah, I haven't got the cascade link yet, that should likely be the first step, then get the SDU or vivid or new cane creek. One thing I was wondering if it was necessary to get the link with the nicer shocks. If I remember, I think Jeff Kendall Weed said the shock had much more effect than the link, but that's just one data point.

Posted: Nov 7, 2023 at 6:53 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
sean-curran wrote:

Give the new Cane Creek air-coil shock a look (I forget the name). The PB test said it had better end-stroke feel compared to shocks with hydraulic bottom out and the ramp up is adjustable. Definitely Evo compatible too, though at 215lbs you would need a 700# or 750# spring.

Yeah, not excited to get back into messing around with spring weights, but it does look like a very good option for this bike, almost seems purpose built for it.

O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2023 at 14:34 Quote
sean-curran wrote:
secondfavteacher wrote:
sean-curran wrote:

Thanks, agreed on the fork. I actually love the lyrik, and think most people are over doing forks. My size is more the reason I said that (215 is my healthy weight, 230 is more like where I am other parts of the year, ha).

Yeah, I haven't got the cascade link yet, that should likely be the first step, then get the SDU or vivid or new cane creek. One thing I was wondering if it was necessary to get the link with the nicer shocks. If I remember, I think Jeff Kendall Weed said the shock had much more effect than the link, but that's just one data point.

Yeah, I totally get that your weight could influence fork choice, but I don't think the added stiffness will be felt and the Zeb/38 weight would really change the way the bike currently feels. Jeff's video is a pretty good starting point! I would agree with him that a nice shock that's well set up will change the bike for the better. Cascade is a nice bonus!

O+
Posted: Nov 14, 2023 at 8:42 Quote
secondfavteacher wrote:
sean-curran wrote:

I think Charlie's "choice" to run a stumpy in lieu of an enduro was SRAM's influence to use the new transmission. Speculation only

Posted: Nov 15, 2023 at 5:15 Quote
Hey yall.

Since the rear sus is a popular topic on this sub wanted to confirm how BIG an upgrade the SDU is over the Float X.

Experienced all the same issues (bottoming out too easily or too stiff, ran tokens, etc.) but the SDU resolved them all. Running 30% sag now feels playful and bottomless, whereas with the Float, the bike felt sluggish and lacked pop. It's a total game-changer for the bike – highly recommend getting one.

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2023 at 6:55 Quote
jsites wrote:
Hey yall.

Since the rear sus is a popular topic on this sub wanted to confirm how BIG an upgrade the SDU is over the Float X.

Experienced all the same issues (bottoming out too easily or too stiff, ran tokens, etc.) but the SDU resolved them all. Running 30% sag now feels playful and bottomless, whereas with the Float, the bike felt sluggish and lacked pop. It's a total game-changer for the bike – highly recommend getting one.

I fully agree. I had a chance to try both and the RS SDU worked better for me. However, I ended up with EXT Coil

Posted: Nov 19, 2023 at 9:30 Quote
Hi all, being lazy here. Any recommendations for longer dropper posts on an S4? Would love about 200mm but wondered how much post would sit above the seat clamp?

Posted: Nov 19, 2023 at 10:29 Quote
Henwifi wrote:
Hi all, being lazy here. Any recommendations for longer dropper posts on an S4? Would love about 200mm but wondered how much post would sit above the seat clamp?

Oneup Components has a dropper calculator on their website that will tell you the longest post (including their competitors) that will fit your bike at your preferred seat height.

Posted: Nov 19, 2023 at 10:47 Quote
I have a couple questions about the evo-

-in an s5 how far can you get a dropper in?
I prefer having the saddle out of the way on descents. With most droppers it looks like some of the post is above the seat tube on evos.

- I’ve heard of durability issues and broken frames - how common is this?

Posted: Nov 19, 2023 at 14:49 Quote
Henwifi wrote:

I’m pretty sure it’ll insert fully.

As the actress said to the bishop.

Seriously though on the Specialized website the insertion depths is recorded incorrectly, in the manual, it gives the correct value, and if you put it in the one up calculator it told me that I’d be ok with the 210mm dropper with one shim in place.

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2023 at 4:06 Quote
haji1974 wrote:

I prefer having the saddle out of the way on descents. With most droppers it looks like some of the post is above the seat tube on evos.

I have ridden three summer with Evo LTD and now durability issues. Of course some marks on the paint, because you can't avoid rock strikes.
A thinner dropper and shim, and you get it deeper. But still 3-5 cm of it remains

Posted: Nov 20, 2023 at 4:31 Quote
mcharza wrote:
haji1974 wrote:

I have ridden three summer with Evo LTD and now durability issues. Of course some marks on the paint, because you can't avoid rock strikes.
A thinner dropper and shim, and you get it deeper. But still 3-5 cm of it remains

yep, can confirm. I have an S2 with a V1 OneUp 170mm, 31.6 with shim and I have about 50mm+ showing.
If I push it deeper the dropper activates on its own.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021518
Mobile Version of Website