21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 20:58 Quote
I've had my evo expert for about two months now and have put about 250 miles on it. Including an entire week in Sedona. So far I have only ridden it in high and Slack and the only thing I've replaced is the stem for a 35.

Suspension wise, I have the recommended air pressure for someone who is 15 pounds heavier front and rear. This has been keeping me from blowing up all the travel on the bigger hits, but the back end suffers on sustained chatter. This has me thinking about that cascade link.

Geo wise, I don't see myself changing it out of slack and high. I did not suffer at all on the technical uphill of Sedona and at home I've already done a big vert day of 4k climbing and it was great. But I will try the low setting at NorthStar.

My only gripe is that I pinched and tore my spare tube in the damn swat door without realizing it(I know its on me), so now I strap one to the frame. This opens up more room for food anyway, and has made if possible for me to do big rides without any kind of pack on or anything in my pockets.

Over all the bike has been killer and if you want one you should do everything you can to get your hands on one.
Strava has been giving me many gold medals on the ups and especially the downs.

photo
photo

One question for the group, On bottom out of the DPX2 does the ring actually blow off the end of the shock, or Just get really close to coming off? Because I've gotten it right to the end, but never off.

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 22:59 Quote
justintpryor wrote:
I've had my evo expert for about two months now and have put about 250 miles on it. Including an entire week in Sedona. So far I have only ridden it in high and Slack and the only thing I've replaced is the stem for a 35.

Suspension wise, I have the recommended air pressure for someone who is 15 pounds heavier front and rear. This has been keeping me from blowing up all the travel on the bigger hits, but the back end suffers on sustained chatter. This has me thinking about that cascade link.

Geo wise, I don't see myself changing it out of slack and high. I did not suffer at all on the technical uphill of Sedona and at home I've already done a big vert day of 4k climbing and it was great. But I will try the low setting at NorthStar.

My only gripe is that I pinched and tore my spare tube in the damn swat door without realizing it(I know its on me), so now I strap one to the frame. This opens up more room for food anyway, and has made if possible for me to do big rides without any kind of pack on or anything in my pockets.

Over all the bike has been killer and if you want one you should do everything you can to get your hands on one.
Strava has been giving me many gold medals on the ups and especially the downs.

photo
photo

One question for the group, On bottom out of the DPX2 does the ring actually blow off the end of the shock, or Just get really close to coming off? Because I've gotten it right to the end, but never off.

The way you took those pictures, it looks like your bike can fly... (assuming you actually did first ride back to make that gap?....).

Anyway, I had a full week of riding, didn’t touch the ring and it is is also sitting right at the end of the shock. I haven’t managed to get it off yet.

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 10:20 Quote
@justintpryor

I've gone on and on about how much that Cascade changed my suspension (SJ expert 29 LT).
It SEEMS that after installing it, the DPX2 in ALL settings is more responsive to how I adjust it. Funny thing was that I needed to UP the PSI a little to keep my slack where I like it (just over 25%). But if you haven't (maybe you have) really tried adjusting all the compression and rebound on the DPX2 I'd say that's going to change a lot. That shock is very responsive to adjustments, and that all increased even more w/the Cascade, very much so. Feels like a different shock no joke.
Since the Cascade mod, just getting past the earlier part of the travel, going into mid-stroke, I can really feel the progressivity from mid-on almost seems like I modified the shock.

btw- pics of you flying on that EVO look great!! That's bike-mag cover material... NOW I wanna' go out 'n ride!

~JSV

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 10:48 Quote
Been riding it a couple of weeks but here she is. 2021 SJ Evo Expert upgraded parts from old bike: Deity 35mm stem, Enve m7 40mm rise bars, Ergon grips, Code RSC brakes, Descendant carbon cranks and Stans MK3 wheels.
photo

Curious how others fit stuff into the swat box. This is all new to me and I am attempting to ride without a hydration pack. Seems like no matter how I pack stuff in there the tool bag slides down and I hear it moving around a lot. Anyone have the same issue? Open to tips and tricks.

Currently have tube, CO2 tool/cartridge, 2 tire levers and a wolftooth chain tool. Very tight but it all fits in the bag. Have been thinking about getting a small enough pump to go in there too... With the extra bladder and car key it is going to be VERY tight.

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 11:22 Quote
I actually like the 50mm stem, just needed it to be more orange. Waiting on the AbsoluteBlack ring, but that's about it. Cascade Link has been a nice change, only 20 miles on it, but it does seem to allow more small bump sensitivity yet also seems to ramp up quicker, keeping it from blowing through the last part of travel as quickly as the stock link.

I do think I'll grab the star ratchet upgrade to the 360 hubs, I'd still like to replace them with Hydras, but anything would be better than the standard 3 pawl setup.

photo

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 14:41 Quote
bentin wrote:
"..I actually like the 50mm stem, just needed it to be more orange..."

You're absolutely correct! We need EVERYTHING to be more orange!

Bike's lookin' ReeeaL slick! That a Deity collar on the seatpost? And how awesome is that Cascade link huh!

~JSV

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 16:55 Quote
Ha, thanks, I'm debating just swapping out the fork for an orange Factory, but I kind of prefer the non Kashima stanchions.

That's a Wolf Tooth collar, it's a little more matte than the stem, link or pedals. I'm sure the AB ring will probably be another color. At least I know the Hydras should match the stem.

I rode pretty smooth trails this weekend but will hit the rockier option soon to really check out the link. So far it's awesome, I was surprised that I could notice it.

Still trying to figure out if I like the head angle in neutral or + 1, I haven't been having any significant pedal strikes so maybe I'll leave the head angle where it is and try the low chain stay setting.

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 5:42 Quote
howmaybesgo wrote:
Been riding it a couple of weeks but here she is. 2021 SJ Evo Expert upgraded parts from old bike: Deity 35mm stem, Enve m7 40mm rise bars, Ergon grips, Code RSC brakes, Descendant carbon cranks and Stans MK3 wheels.
photo

Curious how others fit stuff into the swat box. This is all new to me and I am attempting to ride without a hydration pack. Seems like no matter how I pack stuff in there the tool bag slides down and I hear it moving around a lot. Anyone have the same issue? Open to tips and tricks.

Currently have tube, CO2 tool/cartridge, 2 tire levers and a wolftooth chain tool. Very tight but it all fits in the bag. Have been thinking about getting a small enough pump to go in there too... With the extra bladder and car key it is going to be VERY tight.

That black Expert looks so good! I really wish they would have just done a clear coat over carbon on the Comp instead of the matte black and clay paint jobs.

I don't find my SWAT bag sliding around or making too much noise in my Evo. I have all the same stuff in there, but also added a Stans DART tool, a spare derailleur hanger and some zip ties, so it's pretty packed. I'm on an S3, so wedging the bag as far up the downtube as it will go, leaves just enough room to put the full water bladder in below it. If you have a larger frame, maybe try rolling up a sock or small rag to fill any gap that you can between the bladder and the bag.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 8:39 Quote
I have a SJ LT expert, am I correct, the downtube on the EVO is just a little bit wider than on the standard Stumpjumper, so doesn't the EVO have a bit more space in the SWAT?

~JSV

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 9:11 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
I have a SJ LT expert, am I correct, the downtube on the EVO is just a little bit wider than on the standard Stumpjumper, so doesn't the EVO have a bit more space in the SWAT?

~JSV

Yeah, it seems to be a little larger diameter. My S5 holds the tool bag with a full sized tube, Stans plug tool, Wolf Tooth chain pliers, a couple of CO2 cartridges and inflator, plus the water bladder easily. I've been meaning to toss a longer pull strap on the tool bag and push it up further so I can stuff my jacket in there too, there's certainly room to move the tool bag up another few inches, and just grabbing a Tubolito or Aerothan would likely let me stuff the jacket in the tool bag saving that step.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 10:19 Quote
DammitMike wrote:

That black Expert looks so good! I really wish they would have just done a clear coat over carbon on the Comp instead of the matte black and clay paint jobs.

I don't find my SWAT bag sliding around or making too much noise in my Evo. I have all the same stuff in there, but also added a Stans DART tool, a spare derailleur hanger and some zip ties, so it's pretty packed. I'm on an S3, so wedging the bag as far up the downtube as it will go, leaves just enough room to put the full water bladder in below it. If you have a larger frame, maybe try rolling up a sock or small rag to fill any gap that you can between the bladder and the bag.

The carbon through the clear on this thing is gorgeous. When I was doing the ride wrap that's all I kept saying to my wife Smile

The bag stays in place if the bladder is full but with trying to get everything off of my back the bladder is empty by the end of the ride. After that the tool bag just slides down towards the BB. I was thinking maybe putting a 1" strip of velcro on the bag and frame right there I am wanting the end of the bag to be. Not sure if anything has done this to secure the bag.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 10:23 Quote
howmaybesgo wrote:
DammitMike wrote:

The carbon through the clear on this thing is gorgeous. When I was doing the ride wrap that's all I kept saying to my wife Smile

The bag stays in place if the bladder is full but with trying to get everything off of my back the bladder is empty by the end of the ride. After that the tool bag just slides down towards the BB. I was thinking maybe putting a 1" strip of velcro on the bag and frame right there I am wanting the end of the bag to be. Not sure if anything has done this to secure the bag.

I did put a four inch long strip of Tesa cloth tape up there and it works well with my full size tube in the bag, but I think I'll need something a little more well thought out if I go to a thinner tube. I suppose the best solution might be just to run a strip of Tesa tape crosswise around the bag and then just razor it across the zipper track.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 11:01 Quote
bentin wrote:
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:

~JSV

Yeah, it seems to be a little larger diameter. My S5 holds the tool bag with a full sized tube, Stans plug tool, Wolf Tooth chain pliers, a couple of CO2 cartridges and inflator, plus the water bladder easily. I've been meaning to toss a longer pull strap on the tool bag and push it up further so I can stuff my jacket in there too, there's certainly room to move the tool bag up another few inches, and just grabbing a Tubolito or Aerothan would likely let me stuff the jacket in the tool bag saving that step.
I think I'm actually fitting A LOT in there. I measured it to be ABOUT 70mm i.d.

First off I have my steerer threaded for the OneUp EDC, so that includes an extra c02 along with all the OneUp tools, some of which are redundant due to the SWAT tool Specialized gives you under the water bottle cage.

Then.. in my SWAT bag I'm fitting small ziplock w/bandage gauze and bandaids wrapped w/my extra rubber bands, a keychain mini swiss army style pocket knife, 3 sizes of about 10 zipties, a few rubber gloves, a few hand sanitizers, a mini pill holder; and in the smaller SWAT bag that fits INSIDE the large one, I have another c02, Stans Dart tool w/a total of 4 darts, an extra presta valve, and my c02 inflator valve.

There's still plenty of room in my downtube after all this for more if I wanted. I do also keep the OneUp Gearstraps in there. This bag packed like that fits fine when it's wrapped tightly no prob. I DON'T carry a tube--I know I probably should. Bike mech's say you can use a smaller size tube and stretch it to fit a 29r. I have never tried that but it sounds like a good emergency option. Believe it or not, EVERYTHING in my 'swat list' is there because over the years I've used everything on that list at least once lol!

My new thing now is carrying a small sealed container w/a little 'extra' sealant just in case. I also have an Ortlieb mini waterproof fold-up pack that's made to work w/a dropper and fits nicely out of the way under the seat. I've tested riding with it and it SEEMS ok for extras if I go totally packless other than my small bladder bag.

Sorry, that was mouthful but I'm just amazed at what can fit in the SWAT on these bikes. I know Trek does a similar thing, but I really don't understand why more bike brands aren't doing this? The Santa Cruz frames look like they'd be superb due to their shape, and many Kona models could fit this too.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 11:10 Quote
Yeah, I've run a 26er tube in a 29er for a few miles, just to get back to the car. You do remind me that I need to add some gear straps so I don't have to wear the CushCore out like Chewbaca's bandolier, if it comes to that.

Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 12:45 Quote
Well YOU just reminded ME that I SHOULD be using those cushcores. I just had an incident w/my rear tire that could've been prevented if I was using that

I have a couple 650b presta tubes here for one of my HTs, maybe I should use that for emergency spare.

~JSV

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016566
Mobile Version of Website