21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Apr 13, 2021 at 13:00 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Well YOU just reminded ME that I SHOULD be using those cushcores. I just had an incident w/my rear tire that could've been prevented if I was using that

I have a couple 650b presta tubes here for one of my HTs, maybe I should use that for emergency spare.

~JSV

Oh yeah, 650b will be more than adequate.

CushCore's are great, once they're on. I just swapped a tire on my single speed, only to realize I had rolled over the rim tape in the process. Didn't realize it until I added Stan's and went to air it up, so it's all got to come off again. My thumbs aren't ready for that yet, a few more days rest is called for.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 13:58 Quote
justintpryor wrote:
I've had my evo expert for about two months now and have put about 250 miles on it. Including an entire week in Sedona. So far I have only ridden it in high and Slack and the only thing I've replaced is the stem for a 35.

Suspension wise, I have the recommended air pressure for someone who is 15 pounds heavier front and rear. This has been keeping me from blowing up all the travel on the bigger hits, but the back end suffers on sustained chatter. This has me thinking about that cascade link.

Geo wise, I don't see myself changing it out of slack and high. I did not suffer at all on the technical uphill of Sedona and at home I've already done a big vert day of 4k climbing and it was great. But I will try the low setting at NorthStar.

My only gripe is that I pinched and tore my spare tube in the damn swat door without realizing it(I know its on me), so now I strap one to the frame. This opens up more room for food anyway, and has made if possible for me to do big rides without any kind of pack on or anything in my pockets.

Over all the bike has been killer and if you want one you should do everything you can to get your hands on one.
Strava has been giving me many gold medals on the ups and especially the downs.

One question for the group, On bottom out of the DPX2 does the ring actually blow off the end of the shock, or Just get really close to coming off? Because I've gotten it right to the end, but never off.

I've ridden my Evo about 500 km so far and have had the o-ring sit right at the end without coming off. This includes a few 7-foot-to-way-too flat drops with no bottom-out clunk. I've found I have to run the shock with 10-15 PSI more than for my weight to get the riding characteristics I want. I was also pleasantly surprised to find a spacer in there when I opened it up!

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 15:33 Quote
jimmythesemi wrote:
justintpryor wrote:
I've had my evo expert for about two months now and have put about 250 miles on it. Including an entire week in Sedona. So far I have only ridden it in high and Slack and the only thing I've replaced is the stem for a 35.

Suspension wise, I have the recommended air pressure for someone who is 15 pounds heavier front and rear. This has been keeping me from blowing up all the travel on the bigger hits, but the back end suffers on sustained chatter. This has me thinking about that cascade link.

Geo wise, I don't see myself changing it out of slack and high. I did not suffer at all on the technical uphill of Sedona and at home I've already done a big vert day of 4k climbing and it was great. But I will try the low setting at NorthStar.

My only gripe is that I pinched and tore my spare tube in the damn swat door without realizing it(I know its on me), so now I strap one to the frame. This opens up more room for food anyway, and has made if possible for me to do big rides without any kind of pack on or anything in my pockets.

Over all the bike has been killer and if you want one you should do everything you can to get your hands on one.
Strava has been giving me many gold medals on the ups and especially the downs.

One question for the group, On bottom out of the DPX2 does the ring actually blow off the end of the shock, or Just get really close to coming off? Because I've gotten it right to the end, but never off.

I've ridden my Evo about 500 km so far and have had the o-ring sit right at the end without coming off. This includes a few 7-foot-to-way-too flat drops with no bottom-out clunk. I've found I have to run the shock with 10-15 PSI more than for my weight to get the riding characteristics I want. I was also pleasantly surprised to find a spacer in there when I opened it up!

Just remove all air from the shock and compress the suspension fully. That will show you where the o-ring will be at full bottom out.

Posted: Apr 14, 2021 at 15:34 Quote
O-ring shouldn't come off when bottoming out. Although I find after prolonged riding with mine down there it will eventually vibrate off.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 10:22 Quote
Does anyone on this thread recommend a mullet setup? I'm building my bike and trying to decide if I should keep it 29 or downsize the rear. Thanks!

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 10:32 Quote
ipedalhard wrote:
Does anyone on this thread recommend a mullet setup? I'm building my bike and trying to decide if I should keep it 29 or downsize the rear. Thanks!

I liked it but it the progression is far less with the mullet link. WRP are about to release a yoke that will fox it with the standard link and keep the 29 leverage curve. Wait for that.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 12:22 Quote
ipedalhard wrote:

Go for it! I have a custom built mullet with LTD link.
No real proof on that progression point. the chart that is floating around on the web with no real proof for it.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 13:04 Quote
student wrote:

That looks awesome! I can't tell in the pic', is that white, or is that the Specialized color that has a slight lavender tint to it.

Nice bike! StuMpJumPerZ r00000L!

~JSV

ps- forgot to ask, what pedals you using?
JV

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 13:37 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
student wrote:

[PI20453367][/PI]
That looks awesome! I can't tell in the pic', is that white, or is that the Specialized color that has a slight lavender tint to it.

Nice bike! StuMpJumPerZ r00000L!

~JSV

ps- forgot to ask, what pedals you using?
JV

Classic Clay color Big Grin
Pedals are Mallet E.

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 14:22 Quote
Yeah right "clay" that's what they call it, couldn't remember that.

It's aaaaL g00d! Excellent ride!

~JSV

Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 14:39 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Yeah right "clay" that's what they call it, couldn't remember that.

It's aaaaL g00d! Excellent ride!

~JSV

Clay is like a chameleon

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 9:11 Quote
A question for those of you who placed your order months ago but received your bikes after Specialized increased the prices. When you picked up your bike, did the shops honor the price of the bike when you placed your order or did they ask for the increased amount?

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 11:24 Quote
greenkoolaid wrote:
A question for those of you who placed your order months ago but received your bikes after Specialized increased the prices. When you picked up your bike, did the shops honor the price of the bike when you placed your order or did they ask for the increased amount?

This was my exact situation. The bike was already on order from the shop and I just "reserved" it by putting down a 50% deposit. I paid the remining 50% when i picked up the bike, no increase in price.

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 19:56 Quote
Subscribing, hoping to see the 2022 models soon, heard a rumour they're not far away, including an aluminum Evo.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 5:28 Quote
Any coil recommendations?
Space is limited side and might be issue to fit bottle as well. I don't want to just order something which doesn't fit.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008711
Mobile Version of Website