21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 5:34 Quote
Any coil recommendations?
Space is limited side and might be issue to fit bottle as well. I don't want to just order something which doesn't fit.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 9:42 Quote
Not fox DHX2 Doesnt play nice w the w the yoke. It fits but specialized and fox say DO NOT USE.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 9:58 Quote
I was thinking Rockshox or Marzocchi bomber. Maybe some dvo as well but would nice to hear or see some coil actually installed and experience before ordering.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
Saw push industries posted that they got a test bike in yesterday. Hopefully something will come out from them for those looking for a coil.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 11:33 Quote
Valopaasi wrote:
I was thinking Rockshox or Marzocchi bomber. Maybe some dvo as well but would nice to hear or see some coil actually installed and experience before ordering.

I'm running an Ohlins TTX22m with Cascade link and it works great. I chose the Ohlins because it has a thick steel shaft and strong seal head. It should handle the side loading of the Stumpjumper's suspension better than most coils. You can also get a spherical eyelet bearing which also helps reduce side loading. I decided to try without first and see how it runs. So far it's been excellent with no signs of unusual wear.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 18:31 Quote
Valopaasi wrote:
Space is limited side and might be issue to fit bottle as well. I don't want to just order something which doesn't fit.

Read the thread. Only a few coils approved by spec. Dhx2 is a no go.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 6:11 Quote
I'm thinking about upsizing from S4 to S5, I'm 185cm.

What would make the most economic sense? Sell the S4 bike as is, and (try to) find an S5, or sell just the S4 frame and move parts over to an S5 frame?

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 7:43 Quote
LosCheese wrote:

What would make the most economic sense? Sell the S4 bike as is, and (try to) find an S5, or sell just the S4 frame and move parts over to an S5 frame?
Are you able to actually get an s5 frame or complete bike?

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 9:39 Quote
LosCheese wrote:

Have you tried S5/XL frames, is that why you're switching? Just asking because I like to know when people go UP in frame size & why they switch, this REALLY changed things for me. I'm 6ft (about 182-183cm?) and going to XL/S5 frame size was something I should've done a long time ago. Now when I was test riding SJ's and EVO's in S4/L, they felt like kid's bikes to me after riding XL for at least 3 years now.

I would consider keeping the parts/components that had personal value, for instance custom bars you ordered and cut to your preference, chainring that's very specific to your desired gear ratio, those things. If they're in good shape and took some effort and cost to acquire, why not hang on to the parts. I wouldn't want to let go of my Deity bars, but I'd let the pedals go because they're replaced more often. If I was looking at another SJ I'd also keep my cascade link and put the stock one back on there. Probably keep my DPX2 as well.

Was the other bike (you're selling) a build and you don't have access to any of the original stock components, then maybe let the whole thing go if you'll be able to afford a few custom options on the "new" one.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 14:16 Quote
I think I saw something pages ago.... I put a cascade link on my 21 evo. For those who have done this, did you have to adjust psi on the DPX2?

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 14:41 Quote
kookoos wrote:
I think I saw something pages ago.... I put a cascade link on my 21 evo. For those who have done this, did you have to adjust psi on the DPX2?

I've been running about 10 psi over my pressure before the link. I need to play around with tokens, it would be nice to get the pressure down some.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 14:59 Quote
kookoos wrote:
I have the DPX2 and the Cascade on a SJ expert LT, flip-chip in low (if this is relevant to you)

Totally had to up the PSI to get to my no-more-than 25% sag I like. I forget exactly how much, but pretty sure I'm actually running closer to 20 more PSI w/the Cascade. If it feels ANY different now, everything has improved w/that shock once the link was installed. The shock feels similar as before the increased PSI and link through the first part of travel, then as soon as it edges to mid travel and beyond, the progressivity increased a lot.

I guess I'd say I feel the difference exponentially as the shock goes deeper into the travel. at least that what I'm feeling. But even though I had to increase PSI, it didn't FEEL like it would if I increased it without the link. Still feels plush there, and actually improved responsiveness in all 3 DPX2 settings.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 6:53 Quote
kookoos wrote:

I put a Cascade link on my 21’ EVO. I’m riding in the morning with the ShockWiz to compare it to my stock link settings. The few rides I have done with the new link, it definitely feels softer with the same psi I was running stock. I love it so far though, noticeably different.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 11:39 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
Valopaasi wrote:

Read the thread. Only a few coils approved by spec. Dhx2 is a no go.

MRP recommend stronger E-hazzard model instead of normal hazard.

EXT could be one option.

Öhlins

That's about it I guess. Maybe some cane creek?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006517
Mobile Version of Website