21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 13:57 Quote
rmxtreem wrote:
kookoos wrote:
I think I saw something pages ago.... I put a cascade link on my 21 evo. For those who have done this, did you have to adjust psi on the DPX2?

I put a Cascade link on my 21’ EVO. I’m riding in the morning with the ShockWiz to compare it to my stock link settings. The few rides I have done with the new link, it definitely feels softer with the same psi I was running stock. I love it so far though, noticeably different.

You shouldn’t be running the same spring rate as the stock linkage. You probably have 40% sag if you didn’t adjust your air pressure. I highly recommend checking your sag.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 14:52 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
LosCheese wrote:
I'm thinking about upsizing from S4 to S5, I'm 185cm.

What would make the most economic sense? Sell the S4 bike as is, and (try to) find an S5, or sell just the S4 frame and move parts over to an S5 frame?
Have you tried S5/XL frames, is that why you're switching? Just asking because I like to know when people go UP in frame size & why they switch, this REALLY changed things for me. I'm 6ft (about 182-183cm?) and going to XL/S5 frame size was something I should've done a long time ago. Now when I was test riding SJ's and EVO's in S4/L, they felt like kid's bikes to me after riding XL for at least 3 years now.

I would consider keeping the parts/components that had personal value, for instance custom bars you ordered and cut to your preference, chainring that's very specific to your desired gear ratio, those things. If they're in good shape and took some effort and cost to acquire, why not hang on to the parts. I wouldn't want to let go of my Deity bars, but I'd let the pedals go because they're replaced more often. If I was looking at another SJ I'd also keep my cascade link and put the stock one back on there. Probably keep my DPX2 as well.

Was the other bike (you're selling) a build and you don't have access to any of the original stock components, then maybe let the whole thing go if you'll be able to afford a few custom options on the "new" one.

~JSV

I'm not entirely convinced about switching yet. I parking lot tested both s4 and s5 in early December but couldn't take them through any serious testing due to weather and these being the last bikes this side of Mars.

I erred on the smaller one since I'm on the east-coast with plenty of slow technical stuff. This is also my first full suspension where the wheelbase of the s4 already is massively larger than what I rode before.

But now I'm considering moving to the rocky mountains where there'd be much less low-speed technical rocky stuff. What I really would like to do is to rent an S5 and try both back-to-back on some real trail.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 16:25 Quote
I'm 6'1" and the goofy Retul settings on Spesh's site kept saying I should get an S4, but the saddle height was always a solid inch under what my full, proper fitting said. So I juiced the Retul numbers to get my saddle height right and it then said I should get an S5.

I'm glad I did, as the S5 doesn't feel all that big and when I changed stems (to an i9 that was 3 whol grams lighter, but orange) I just stuck with 50mm as I couldn't see it being shorter.

I will say that it feels even shorter with the headset at +1, it certainly felt more stretched out at the neutral setting. So perhaps in the full slack setup, I'd really feel the length? I've got too many rocks and roots around here to run it low and slack though.

Oh, one note, the S5 and S6 have slightly longer chain stays and this thing is comically long, inches longer than my 29er hard tail and it pretty much maxes out the arms on my 1Up rack, the S6 would probably get one click per side, if it fit at all. It also barely gets out of my garage without hitting the bottom of the door, reminds me of old school box section skis, I had a pair of 203's, this feels like that.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 0:29 Quote
bentin wrote:
I'm 6'1" and the goofy Retul settings on Spesh's site kept saying I should get an S4, but the saddle height was always a solid inch under what my full, proper fitting said. So I juiced the Retul numbers to get my saddle height right and it then said I should get an S5.

I'm glad I did, as the S5 doesn't feel all that big and when I changed stems (to an i9 that was 3 whol grams lighter, but orange) I just stuck with 50mm as I couldn't see it being shorter.

I will say that it feels even shorter with the headset at +1, it certainly felt more stretched out at the neutral setting. So perhaps in the full slack setup, I'd really feel the length? I've got too many rocks and roots around here to run it low and slack though.

Oh, one note, the S5 and S6 have slightly longer chain stays and this thing is comically long, inches longer than my 29er hard tail and it pretty much maxes out the arms on my 1Up rack, the S6 would probably get one click per side, if it fit at all. It also barely gets out of my garage without hitting the bottom of the door, reminds me of old school box section skis, I had a pair of 203's, this feels like that.

Just goes to show how important a test ride is on these, as I am ever so slightly taller than you & on an S4. Having ridden an S5 and similar S5 sized bikes, there was no way I wanted something that big - I find them way too cumbersome and the clock doesn't lie, i'm quicker on the smaller bike.

Ref the headset adjust, I assume you mean with the +1 headset cup making the HA steeper (as thats how it reads?) - that will make the bike longer, not shorter. The minus cups shorten the reach, as does putting the bike in the lower/longer CS position.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 1:17 Quote
Valopaasi wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:
Valopaasi wrote:
Any coil recommendations?
Space is limited side and might be issue to fit bottle as well. I don't want to just order something which doesn't fit.

Read the thread. Only a few coils approved by spec. Dhx2 is a no go.

MRP recommend stronger E-hazzard model instead of normal hazard.

EXT could be one option.

Öhlins

That's about it I guess. Maybe some cane creek?

It seems the Ohlins and EXT are the best options available right now (strength wise due to the side loading issue).
Push Industries should have a Stumpy Evo tune for their coil soon. Fox also just announced the new DHX coil which from the photos looks like it might be built more robust than the DHX2, or at least that's what I'm hoping...

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 2:31 Quote
vonBock wrote:
Valopaasi wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:

Read the thread. Only a few coils approved by spec. Dhx2 is a no go.

MRP recommend stronger E-hazzard model instead of normal hazard.

EXT could be one option.

Öhlins

That's about it I guess. Maybe some cane creek?

It seems the Ohlins and EXT are the best options available right now (strength wise due to the side loading issue).
Push Industries should have a Stumpy Evo tune for their coil soon. Fox also just announced the new DHX coil which from the photos looks like it might be built more robust than the DHX2, or at least that's what I'm hoping...

RMP E-hazzard or normal with a steel shaft are good options as well. Reasonable price and good reviews.
Normal Hazard looks a lot stronger comparing to Fox shaft. Naturally it's a bit heavier as well.

Interesting to see how Evo will work with a coil.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 5:46 Quote
I have the LTD version which is a mullet and it has rock shox super deluxe coil. After reading thread on here and seeing that that the specialized website now shows it with a super deluxe air shock I got in touch and asked why the change and got this response "after working with rockshox, air shocks seem more reliable and robust option. We have worked.....to tune the air shock specifically for Stumpjumper to preserve the ride quality youd expect, and will provide at least the same performance level as original coil". They have offered to exchange, but I like the coil!
Bit confused really but bike is great with Zebs up front - ill upload images when I can work out how!

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 12:18 Quote
ipedalhard wrote:
Does anyone on this thread recommend a mullet setup? I'm building my bike and trying to decide if I should keep it 29 or downsize the rear. Thanks!

I had the LTD link and set up mullet but it sized the bike a bit small for me. I'm 5'10" and already dropped to a S3 and love it in 29. When I threw on the mullet set up it was a hoot and so easy to toss around but it made the bike feel a bit too small for me. If I were on a s4 I may have kept it.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 12:19 Quote
Valopaasi wrote:
Any coil recommendations?
Space is limited side and might be issue to fit bottle as well. I don't want to just order something which doesn't fit.

I have an EXT on the way and will let you know how it fits.. and feels

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 2:23 Quote
tolyho wrote:
ipedalhard wrote:
Does anyone on this thread recommend a mullet setup? I'm building my bike and trying to decide if I should keep it 29 or downsize the rear. Thanks!

I had the LTD link and set up mullet but it sized the bike a bit small for me. I'm 5'10" and already dropped to a S3 and love it in 29. When I threw on the mullet set up it was a hoot and so easy to toss around but it made the bike feel a bit too small for me. If I were on a s4 I may have kept it.

Sounds legit, I’m 1,72 (5.7?) and my s3 mullet feels way more natural to me!

Posted: Apr 24, 2021 at 22:21 Quote
Looking to add volume spacer(s) to my DPX2 on my 21' Stumpy Evo. What size spacer size does the 210 x 55 shock come stock with, and what size(s) of spacers can be added? Thanks!

Posted: Apr 24, 2021 at 23:23 Quote
0.6 is the default and the max spacer looking at the fox charts...

Posted: Apr 25, 2021 at 9:02 Quote
norbertm1982 wrote:

Looking at the Fox chart, I see what you mean and agree that the limit is 0.6. However, in the PB review Kaz said he recommended bumping up to a 0.8 for bigger hits/park. I believe I saw earlier on this thread that people have increased the spacer as well.. curious if it's possible!

Posted: Apr 25, 2021 at 9:40 Quote
With a big enough hammer and a can do attitude anything is possible!

Posted: Apr 25, 2021 at 14:43 Quote
ipedalhard wrote:
norbertm1982 wrote:

Looking at the Fox chart, I see what you mean and agree that the limit is 0.6. However, in the PB review Kaz said he recommended bumping up to a 0.8 for bigger hits/park. I believe I saw earlier on this thread that people have increased the spacer as well.. curious if it's possible!

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible and am genuinely curious why they say it should not be done. It is just a DPX2 so all the reducers should snap in. Maybe to do with leverage ratios and stress it could introduce to the linkage/frame due to a progressive design?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007672
Mobile Version of Website