21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: May 10, 2021 at 9:56 Quote
hey guys!
i have fox transfer and sram code brakes - both on one clamp (left side).
switching to shimano saint next week and wondering which clamps or adaptor I need in order to use fox transfer seatpost and shimano saint while only having one clamp.

already asked fox but they have no clue.

help very much appreciated!

thanks!

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 11:32 Quote
Demo8AUT wrote:
hey guys!
switching to shimano saint next week and wondering which clamps or adaptor I need in order to use fox transfer seatpost and shimano saint while only having one clamp.

thanks!

If you're going with the Saint BR M820-B brakes, then the ISEV-ISB mount would allow you to mount the Fox Transfer to it.
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/drivetrain-1/products/shiftmount?variant=14423020732451

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 11:48 Quote
dennisbarrera wrote:
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Looking TOTALLY awesome. Stumpjumpers are beautiful things aren't they!

2 ques - Is that a DPX2, and do you also have 200mm rotor on the rear?

Lookin' slick my friend, charge the neighbors $5 just to LOOK at it!

~JSV
Thanks. Yeah came with 203mm rotors front and rear. Yes it's the DPX2, was thinking about upgrading it, but now I love it, great shock.
I had the RS Deluxe stock on my '19 SJ (fsr). I really like that, it's "ok". I felt the dpx2 would be more capable and still wanted a 3pos AND the additional adjustment (comp & rebound). Got a new SJ tuned dpx2, noticeable difference. It really started feeling like what I was imagining the bike should be. Then I put in the Cascade link, PERFECT! Had to increase the psi after installing the link of course but it's performing perfect for me in all ranges of the travel. It's as if the Cascade changed the shock--at least it definitely changed its performance dramatically.

The EVO has a little difference in geo than my SJ but they're similar and I have heard from EVO riders that the link had similar effects and improvements. Riders' weight and style has so much to do with it but I haven't heard of anyone saying the link didn't improve performance, and really with that dpx2 on these kind of frames.

yeah that bike you have there is amazing you're gonna' rip-it-up on that thing! The modern Stumpjumper design is really versatile too.

~JSV

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 13:50 Quote
bentin wrote:
Demo8AUT wrote:
hey guys!

thanks!

If you're going with the Saint BR M820-B brakes, then the ISEV-ISB mount would allow you to mount the Fox Transfer to it.
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/drivetrain-1/products/shiftmount?variant=14423020732451

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 13:51 Quote
I went w shimano brakes and just did the sram “clamp”. It’s a bit more on the bars but took the seat dropper lever and shift pod

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 22:28 Quote
First run on the evo with the cascade link.... SWEET JESUS!

Ok the climbing in open mode has more bob now and this is fine trail mode/lock fixes this no probs.

Climbing felt a little different, but that could down to the geo changes of runing it as a mullet (bb high, -1 degree head tube).

Downhill......wow super supple ride tons more confidence and control and mid stroke support feels great in trail mode.

I still need a rebound tune since I am running max psi and a 0.6 spacer.

I really need to sort out my fork now, I hadn't noticed how poorly my fork was performing until I got my rear end sorted Wink

ennisthemenace wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:
jimmythesemi wrote:

Looking forward to the update!

Is anyone running a cascade link with a fully 29 setup?

Yes, it rocks! Landed some mid size (5' vert maybe) drops on it last weekend, felt like butter. Cased a step up and just rolled through it. The added progression is so nice! And thats all after pedalling up 3K of trails, which it did well.

Did you change anything on the shock add/remove volume spacer after adding your link? I am running the 0.6 thinking og putting a smaller one in.

Never mind just read you are runnig stock spacer Madder

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 11:00 Quote
bentin wrote:
Demo8AUT wrote:
hey guys!

thanks!

thx bud, gonna check that out if it is available in austria.

edit: shoot i read that it is only possible to mount it on the right side :/ I'd need it on the left side though.
edit2: well I think it shouldnt be a problem when mounting it on the left side, because the fox lever faces the left side too.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 8:53 Quote
I'm a few months into riding my S6 Evo S-Works frame that I built up with parts from my SB130.But I need to find something that can handle some bigger and chunkier stuff than the DPX2. My rider weight is 230+ without much room to lose weight (I'm 6'8"). I don't send big drops or jumps, but I live near Pisgah and 20+ mph on those roots and rocks is proving too much for the stock shock setup. I might keep the DPX2 for XC rides on local, relatively flat trails, then swap it out for mountain weekends...

I'm considering a coil (either Ohlins or CC) but I'm seeing a lot of reports of broken shock shafts, despite previous generations of Stevo's being available with a coil as a factory option. Anyone running a coil with similar rider weight and terrain?

Other options would be the Rock Shox Super Deluxe with the MegNeg, or possibly the new Fox Float X (which seems like their answer the the Super Deluxe). I thought about the X2 but I've heard of some frame rub compatibility issues. I can't find any info from people riding the DVO Topaz on the Evo, considering that as well.

Of course, the Cascade Link is a thought, but I'm already running 300+ psi with the largest volume spacer. I'm worried about the requirement to go higher with the Cascade Link.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 9:45 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
I'm a few months into riding my S6 Evo S-Works frame that I built up with parts from my SB130.But I need to find something that can handle some bigger and chunkier stuff than the DPX2. My rider weight is 230+ without much room to lose weight (I'm 6'8"). I don't send big drops or jumps, but I live near Pisgah and 20+ mph on those roots and rocks is proving too much for the stock shock setup. I might keep the DPX2 for XC rides on local, relatively flat trails, then swap it out for mountain weekends...

I'm considering a coil (either Ohlins or CC) but I'm seeing a lot of reports of broken shock shafts, despite previous generations of Stevo's being available with a coil as a factory option. Anyone running a coil with similar rider weight and terrain?

Other options would be the Rock Shox Super Deluxe with the MegNeg, or possibly the new Fox Float X (which seems like their answer the the Super Deluxe). I thought about the X2 but I've heard of some frame rub compatibility issues. I can't find any info from people riding the DVO Topaz on the Evo, considering that as well.

Of course, the Cascade Link is a thought, but I'm already running 300+ psi with the largest volume spacer. I'm worried about the requirement to go higher with the Cascade Link.

Well you do still have 50 pounds to give. I'm actually surprised that you're only running 300 psi, as Specialized recommended 280 psi for my 190lb riding weight for my S5. I'm running 295 on the Cascade link now and it's really been great on limestone and granite here. But 350 is the max for the shock, so you should still be fine if you take things up with the Cascade.

However I was just looking at the MRP Hazzard and EXT shocks last night. A progressive spring seems nearly ideal on this bike combined with the Cascade link.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 11:03 Quote
bentin wrote:

Well you do still have 50 pounds to give. I'm actually surprised that you're only running 300 psi, as Specialized recommended 280 psi for my 190lb riding weight for my S5.

The recommended pressure for my weight was 330 with the stock volume spacer but I put the largest one in and 300 is what was needed for proper sag. I've played with it a little but 300 works well. If I need more damping, I just flip the switch to the middle position to help with bigger hits.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 12:06 Quote
@Pdrenth
That sounds like SO much pressure in those. You said DPX2 correct? What's the max for these (maybe 350?), because I thought when I went UP in psi (after the cascade) I was using a lot but I'm light and I still have a bit more for my weight but I like the firmer feel and less sag. Bike feels perfect, not complaining, but I'm lucky I don't require too much.

I like to read these testimonies on heavier riders using a DPX2. It gives me a better reference and inspires me to not be concerned going up in pressure if I want to try it. I like to see how it performs too when there's more pressure in them.

If someone can't get performance from an air shock in these pressures I guess is when they start considering coils.

S-Works frame too huh, g-wiz that's pretty slick!

~JSV

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 12:45 Quote
@ScaryGuiTarS, yeah. I was *shocked* to see the original 330psi recommendation from the Specialized shock calculator. I even asked the LBS that I bought the bike from and he said it was normal. I think that I ran 260psi with the largest spacer in my SB130, also a DPX2. But as has been mentioned, the max is 350 so I should be OK. I'm just struggling to make it work well in chunk.

Re S-Works, my LBS made me a deal that I couldn't refuse on a brand new frame. I couldn't be happier with the bike given how few choices there are for good 1-bike quiver options in XXL. I might still get that Transition Sentinel that I've had my eyes on, but probably not. This bike is perfectly suited for my riding style.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 12:47 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:

Where have you heard frame rubbing issues with an X2? Ive seen several people with this and no problems whatsoever. Im about to throw a 21 X2 on my S3 so will report back . . .

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 13:13 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
Where have you heard frame rubbing issues with an X2? Ive seen several people with this and no problems whatsoever. I'm about to throw a 21 X2 on my S3 so will report back . . .

People on the mostly useless Stumpjumper facebook groups have reported rubbing with the X2. But it might be for older frames??? I can't seem to dig up the post that I saw this on, it could be wrong. The amount of useful technical info on those groups is very limited. Most of the conversations are "what are you guys putting in the Swat boxes" or " what tire pressure do you use". Rolleyes

Please report back your experience!

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 13:36 Quote
The x2 did indeed have clearance issues with some of the previous generation Evo.frames - 2019/2020.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006777
Mobile Version of Website