21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Author Message
Posted: May 14, 2021 at 7:49 Quote
Would you be able to take some pics of clearance with the shock extended and compressed? Would really like to see the strut and top tube clearance.[/Quote]

Will try to later but I would guess at least half an inch clearance all round.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 7:54 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
MRP says yes but only with their eMTB version of the hazard.

They don't list the necessary size as available on their dropdown, but I'm sure they'd make it. Is the eMTB version a larger shaft? That would actually comfort me as some of the discussion has been that smaller shafts like the Fox are more prone to bending/deflecting.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 7:57 Quote
bentin wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:
MRP says yes but only with their eMTB version of the hazard.

They don't list the necessary size as available on their dropdown, but I'm sure they'd make it. Is the eMTB version a larger shaft? That would actually comfort me as some of the discussion has been that smaller shafts like the Fox are more prone to bending/deflecting.

You have to call and they will make one for you. Great customer service over there. Its basically a steel shaft.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 8:12 Quote
@noplacelikeloam Appreciate all of the info!

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 8:16 Quote
Pdrenth wrote:
I'm a few months into riding my S6 Evo S-Works frame that I built up with parts from my SB130.But I need to find something that can handle some bigger and chunkier stuff than the DPX2. My rider weight is 230+ without much room to lose weight (I'm 6'8"). I don't send big drops or jumps, but I live near Pisgah and 20+ mph on those roots and rocks is proving too much for the stock shock setup. I might keep the DPX2 for XC rides on local, relatively flat trails, then swap it out for mountain weekends...

I'm considering a coil (either Ohlins or CC) but I'm seeing a lot of reports of broken shock shafts, despite previous generations of Stevo's being available with a coil as a factory option. Anyone running a coil with similar rider weight and terrain?

Other options would be the Rock Shox Super Deluxe with the MegNeg, or possibly the new Fox Float X (which seems like their answer the the Super Deluxe). I thought about the X2 but I've heard of some frame rub compatibility issues. I can't find any info from people riding the DVO Topaz on the Evo, considering that as well.

Of course, the Cascade Link is a thought, but I'm already running 300+ psi with the largest volume spacer. I'm worried about the requirement to go higher with the Cascade Link.

If you want to run a coil I would recommend the Ohlins over most others. It's one of the strongest coil shocks with a thick steel shaft and robust seal head which allows it to withstand the side loading of the Stumpy Evo. That's one of the reasons I went this route for my bike. The only other coil shocks I'd consider on the Evo is the Push HD (built specifically to survive on bikes like the Evo) or maybe an EXT Storia but both of these are very expensive and not a performance improvement over the Ohlins in my opinion.

The problem you're going to run into is getting a spring that will work for someone your weight. Without the Cascade link you're going to have to choose to sacrifice support or small bump compliance. If you used the Cascade link you'll need a very heavy spring. Probably at least 750lbs or more. This is because of the high starting leverage rate of the Cascade link. Even the stock link is pretty high. Because of your weight you may be best served by an air shock on the stock link. With many air shocks you will be close to or have to exceed the max air pressure of the shock if you go with the Cascade link. Finding a 750lb or heavier coil spring is going to be a challenge and I don't think Ohlins makes one this heavy.

The characteristics of this bike and being a heavier rider is going to mean you will have to choose which compromises are acceptable to you to get the performance you're looking for.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 8:46 Quote
Excellent info all, thanks.

Yeah, I checked the Cascade spring suggestions and they say 200 pounds, I should be running a 675# spring, MRP only goes up to 600, so that's going to be tricky. Interestingly, Ohlins calculator recommends a 575# spring for the stock link, so maybe there's more wiggle room than I'm thinking.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 9:08 Quote
bentin wrote:
Excellent info all, thanks.

Yeah, I checked the Cascade spring suggestions and they say 200 pounds, I should be running a 675# spring, MRP only goes up to 600, so that's going to be tricky. Interestingly, Ohlins calculator recommends a 575# spring for the stock link, so maybe there's more wiggle room than I'm thinking.

I'm about 200lbs in riding gear and using the Cascade link. The Ohlins 670# spring is about perfect. The 575# spring was a little too light for me on the stock link. I'd strongly recommend the Cascade link if you want to run a coil.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 9:29 Quote
WalrusRider wrote:
bentin wrote:
Excellent info all, thanks.

Yeah, I checked the Cascade spring suggestions and they say 200 pounds, I should be running a 675# spring, MRP only goes up to 600, so that's going to be tricky. Interestingly, Ohlins calculator recommends a 575# spring for the stock link, so maybe there's more wiggle room than I'm thinking.

I'm about 200lbs in riding gear and using the Cascade link. The Ohlins 670# spring is about perfect. The 575# spring was a little too light for me on the stock link. I'd strongly recommend the Cascade link if you want to run a coil.

Thanks, I'm a little under 200# in full gear and do have the Cascade. Are you on a '21 as well? Did Ohlins provide the upper and lower spacers too?

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 9:53 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
Would you be able to take some pics of clearance with the shock extended and compressed? Would really like to see the strut and top tube clearance.

Will try to later but I would guess at least half an inch clearance all round.[/Quote]

here you go. Pics make it look tighter than it is. Once you see it, its a no brainer.



Posted: May 14, 2021 at 11:07 Quote
How does it ride with the X2?

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 11:28 Quote
bentin wrote:
WalrusRider wrote:
bentin wrote:
Excellent info all, thanks.

Yeah, I checked the Cascade spring suggestions and they say 200 pounds, I should be running a 675# spring, MRP only goes up to 600, so that's going to be tricky. Interestingly, Ohlins calculator recommends a 575# spring for the stock link, so maybe there's more wiggle room than I'm thinking.

I'm about 200lbs in riding gear and using the Cascade link. The Ohlins 670# spring is about perfect. The 575# spring was a little too light for me on the stock link. I'd strongly recommend the Cascade link if you want to run a coil.

Thanks, I'm a little under 200# in full gear and do have the Cascade. Are you on a '21 as well? Did Ohlins provide the upper and lower spacers too?

Yeah I'm riding a 2021 Evo. The 670lb spring will probably be ideal for you. The shock did not come with hardware. I simply installed the original spacers and hardware that came with the bike. One thing you should consider is you will probably want to get the shock tuned. The stock rebound tune may not offer enough damping for you when using a 670lb spring. With the stock tune I ran the shock with the rebound fully closed or one click from closed depending on the trail. Just something to consider.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 11:30 Quote
WalrusRider wrote:
bentin wrote:
Excellent info all, thanks.

Yeah, I checked the Cascade spring suggestions and they say 200 pounds, I should be running a 675# spring, MRP only goes up to 600, so that's going to be tricky. Interestingly, Ohlins calculator recommends a 575# spring for the stock link, so maybe there's more wiggle room than I'm thinking.

I'm about 200lbs in riding gear and using the Cascade link. The Ohlins 670# spring is about perfect. The 575# spring was a little too light for me on the stock link. I'd strongly recommend the Cascade link if you want to run a coil.
Very interesting! Never thought about this cascade translation to a coil.
It makes some kind of sense though; when adding the Cascade, every rider w/an air shock has to increase the PSI. I have a DPX2 on my SJ and have to run 20-30 psi MORE to reach my sag using same shock. Now with the coil it would make sense then that the coil AFTER cascade install needs to be "upped" in weight class to compensate for whatever the Cascade does that creates this phenomenon.

Just saw you two discussing that and realized I never thought how it would effect a coil. Interesting.

~JSV

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 11:44 Quote
These are the spring rates Cascade lists for their link on the 21 EVO.

Recommended sag at the shock is 15-18 mm. This equates to 28-33% sag. This link does not require excess amounts of sag to achieve small bump sensitivity. Please set your sag at around 16 mm at the shock and let the link do its work. The spring rates below should get you close to the right sag but you might have to deviate from them here and there.

Rider Weight Spring Rate Preload
120 lbs (54.4 kg) 450 1 turn
140 lbs (63.5 kg) 500 1 turn
160 lbs (72.6 kg) 550 1 turn
180 lbs (81.8 kg) 625 1 turn
200 lbs (90.7 kg) 675 1 turn
220 lbs (99.8 kg) 725 1 turn

*All spring rates are calculated for 30% sag assuming a 64% rear weight bias.

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 5:44 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:

here you go. Pics make it look tighter than it is. Once you see it, its a no brainer.


Does look tight from the pics. Thinking about giving it a shot.

Thank you for grabbing those pics.

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 14:47 Quote
Just went for my first ride with the cascade link and loving it. Got me thinking though does anyone think it could void the warranty? I guess keep the stock link and put it back on if anything does happen.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006858
Mobile Version of Website