21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
O+
Posted: May 15, 2021 at 17:59 Quote
howmaybesgo wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:

here you go. Pics make it look tighter than it is. Once you see it, its a no brainer.

Does look tight from the pics. Thinking about giving it a shot.

Thank you for grabbing those pics.

Took the X2 out today with the cascade. Huge mid stroke support. Surprisingly sporty. Handled big hits like a charm and couldn’t bottom it out at all. Used the spec chart plus 20% for air pressure, dialed back the LSC and is was super plush at the initial stroke. Very very progressive which I loved. Certainly makes the bike feel like a bigger bike vs the DPX2.

Posted: May 16, 2021 at 11:29 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
howmaybesgo wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:

here you go. Pics make it look tighter than it is. Once you see it, its a no brainer.

Does look tight from the pics. Thinking about giving it a shot.

Thank you for grabbing those pics.

Took the X2 out today with the cascade. Huge mid stroke support. Surprisingly sporty. Handled big hits like a charm and couldn’t bottom it out at all. Used the spec chart plus 20% for air pressure, dialed back the LSC and is was super plush at the initial stroke. Very very progressive which I loved. Certainly makes the bike feel like a bigger bike vs the DPX2.
Hey another success story w/the Cascade. Seems like anyone that's put one on a SJ or EVO loves it. Changed my bike, my DPX2 performance, everything. On my SJ too that mid-stroke WAS the big difference. That's where I'm really needing the shock performance most too.

Good to see it working that well on the EVO w/an X2. It turns out to be worth it.

~JSV

O+
Posted: May 16, 2021 at 14:01 Quote
Came on to say the same thing. Bolted mine up this morning, added some PSI and went on a ride in my local trails to tune everything up. Felt immediately better! Big(ish) hits, g-outs, chunder and New England rock gardens felt substantially better. Very happy with the purchase and looking forward to highland next weekend to really test it out!

O+
Posted: May 17, 2021 at 3:17 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
WalrusRider wrote:
bentin wrote:
Excellent info all, thanks.

Yeah, I checked the Cascade spring suggestions and they say 200 pounds, I should be running a 675# spring, MRP only goes up to 600, so that's going to be tricky. Interestingly, Ohlins calculator recommends a 575# spring for the stock link, so maybe there's more wiggle room than I'm thinking.

I'm about 200lbs in riding gear and using the Cascade link. The Ohlins 670# spring is about perfect. The 575# spring was a little too light for me on the stock link. I'd strongly recommend the Cascade link if you want to run a coil.
Very interesting! Never thought about this cascade translation to a coil.
It makes some kind of sense though; when adding the Cascade, every rider w/an air shock has to increase the PSI. I have a DPX2 on my SJ and have to run 20-30 psi MORE to reach my sag using same shock. Now with the coil it would make sense then that the coil AFTER cascade install needs to be "upped" in weight class to compensate for whatever the Cascade does that creates this phenomenon.

Just saw you two discussing that and realized I never thought how it would effect a coil. Interesting.

~JSV

The reality is 150mm on a 55mm stroke means high shock pressures, or heavy spring weights. The reason why the Cascade Link needs a higher number again is it's almost ~160mm of travel from a 55mm stroke shock.

I run an EXT Storia on mine, with a Cascade Link. Stock link & DPX2 I didn't enjoy that much to be honest, and I blew the shock up in the first few rides. Put the EXT on, and even with the HBO once winter was over in the UK, speeds went up & it started to bottom out on big G-Outs. The stock link is absolutely not progressive enough for a coil shock & faster riders.

Cascade Link went on & it made a significant improvement - bike feels more balanced deeper in the travel, but can still bottom it out more easily than I would like.

Personally, I think this bike is probably best with a decent air shock & the Cascade link. I've got a new Gen3 Levo coming which has got an X2 on it, i'm planning on swapping the shocks over as that's more progressive & will suit a coil better anyway & the X2 will suit the Evo better too.

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 11:14 Quote
@HobNob
Thanks, good info, helps make some sense.

""...Stock link & DPX2 I didn't enjoy that much to be honest, and I blew the shock up in the first few rides...""

I get it, I can totally see this. I'm on a SJ (FSR) (S5/XL) w/140 rear travel DPX2 w/50mm stroke 25% sag. If I were riding light, fire roads, dirt paths, small bump, I'd be totally ok w/stock link. It's when you start riding rough and getting into deeper travel doing what the bike's made to do, THAT'S where the Cascade made so much difference it felt almost like I put a different shock in there.

I'm no nasty DH rider, but I've been in some rough sh*t a couple rides this season, I can't remember once feeling it bottom out.

~JSV

O+
Posted: May 17, 2021 at 12:13 Quote
The new 2022 Evo Expert and Comp specs/colors just released on Specs website. Big price increases on both.

Expert $6000 USD: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stumpjumper-evo-expert/p/199751?color=320282-199751&searchText=96322-3001

Only changes from the 2021 seem to be frame color, Float X shock replaces the DPX2 and the dropper is now a OneUp instead of an X-Fusion Manic.

Comp $5000 USD: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stumpjumper-evo-comp/p/199749?color=320261-199749&searchText=96322-5001

New frame colors, Shimano SLX drivetrain has been changed to SRAM GX, brakes changed from SLX to Code RS, rear shock also changed to Float X from DPX2.

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 12:19 Quote
DammitMike wrote:
The new 2022 Evo Expert and Comp specs/colors just released on Specs website. Big price increases on both.

Expert $6000 USD: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stumpjumper-evo-expert/p/199751?color=320282-199751&searchText=96322-3001

Only changes from the 2021 seem to be frame color, Float X shock replaces the DPX2 and the dropper is now a OneUp instead of an X-Fusion Manic.

Comp $5000 USD: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stumpjumper-evo-comp/p/199749?color=320261-199749&searchText=96322-5001

New frame colors, Shimano SLX drivetrain has been changed to SRAM GX, brakes changed from SLX to Code RS, rear shock also changed to Float X from DPX2.

Same hubs, but upgraded to the ratchet mechanism instead of the three pawls like my 2021. I actually like all three of those changes, but definitely a steep price upgrade.

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 12:25 Quote
bentin wrote:
Just for my own clarity, what's the interference risk with a coil shock on the 21 SJ EVO? I know the shock is slightly offset to the non drive side, but I don't see any clearance risks on the asymmetric frame beam or anything else. I'd like to try the MRP Hazzard, but it would be nice to know that someone else had made one work. Plus, if you've been playing along at home, there should be no surprise that I like the orange version.

photo

Sorry my late response. I have MRP coil on Evo -21 and it fits fine. Not too much clearance but enough.
It feels better than air shock. Interested to try with cascade link but I think this season will go without. It's my only bike and I ride all my rides with it from trail, enduro races and park.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2021 at 12:36 Quote
DammitMike wrote:

Baby blue Comp Drool

Evo Comp Price in Canada:
Launch $5499
Jan 2021 Bump $5819
2022 model $5999

Expert:
Launch $7299
Jan 2021 Bump $7799
2022 model $7999

getting steeper and not stopping

O+
Posted: May 17, 2021 at 13:31 Quote
calicartel wrote:

Baby blue Comp Drool

Evo Comp Price in Canada:
Launch $5499
Jan 2021 Bump $5819
2022 model $5999

Expert:
Launch $7299
Jan 2021 Bump $7799
2022 model $7999

getting steeper and not stopping

I dig the blue color for the comp too, but I'm very happy that I was able to grab my matte black Evo comp with SLX components for $900 less.

Here's the US price changes from what I remember:

Evo Comp USD Price:
Launch $4100
Jan 2021 Bump $4300
2022 model $5000

Expert:
Launch $4900
Jan 2021 Bump $5000
2022 model $6000

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 14:45 Quote
A bit of follow up on my original question about coil shocks. I reached out to Cane Creek and they confirmed what a lot of you have said. They "recommended" their kitsuma coil with a 650# spring. I put that in quotes because it was a 3 paragraph reply that basically said "you're probably going to bottom out on big hits with this spring and will need the additional adjustment of the Kitsuma to make this feel good."

Reading between the lines, I feel like they don't recommend it for this bike but aren't willing to say no to a potential sale. I get it. I'm going to reach out again and ask "if the coil has this many disclaimers, would an air shock be better?". I already seem to know the answer, but I'm curious to know what they will say about it.

That being said, I'd love to hear from anyone running a CC air shock on the '21 or newer Evo. I know a few guys that are running them on Stumpy's from '19 on up and they really like them. I know they had some issues with their seals and stuff a few years ago but haven't they revised the shocks to fix this issue?

My real issue is that I swapped the fork over from my SB130 (extended the travel to 160mm) and I can't decide which I dislike more; the DPX2 or the Grip 1 damper!!!!!! I can't afford to swap both at the same time, but I'm leaning towards fixing the rear end first and then doing the fork later this year.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2021 at 20:57 Quote
The price of the comp vs expert in Canada is so weird. The company is a great buy in this aspect. I picked mine up in November with a slight discount at 5300ish tax in. To go up to an expert from that in Canada is a huge jump.

The price increases here for the comp are almost had that of in the states on just that one model. I don’t know if it comes down to specific parts having for taxes and levy on them or what. But you can’t simply apply a dollar conversion to an American price to end up at what retail is here.

Still glad I got my comp this year. The codes would be nice but the slx drivetrain is something I wanted to try.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2021 at 21:14 Quote
bainer66 wrote:
The price of the comp vs expert in Canada is so weird. The company is a great buy in this aspect. I picked mine up in November with a slight discount at 5300ish tax in. To go up to an expert from that in Canada is a huge jump.

The price increases here for the comp are almost had that of in the states on just that one model. I don’t know if it comes down to specific parts having for taxes and levy on them or what. But you can’t simply apply a dollar conversion to an American price to end up at what retail is here.

Still glad I got my comp this year. The codes would be nice but the slx drivetrain is something I wanted to try.

Same boat as you, got my Comp at original price back in December
Now it’s $6k+ to get into a Stumpy Evo in Canada…that’s asking a lot
The only thing I would want is the new Float X instead of the dpx2…SLX or GX/Codes are a wash for me

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 23:49 Quote
Anyone on here other than my self running the Cascade link with a 27.5 in the rear?

I am heavy so pedaling always feels shit, just wanted to hear other peoples experiences.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014138
Mobile Version of Website