21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2021 at 3:14 Quote
unclerickmtb wrote:
mcharza wrote:
unclerickmtb wrote:
Has any put a Float X on their stumpy Evo?

I changed to Performance Elite and tune id is D94Q. Just rode a test ride with it, but not sure which is better Rockshox Super Deluxe or Fox Float X

Keep us posted on how you like it?

Now that I’ve ridden a few longer trails with roots and rocks. I find RS Super Deluxe to be smoother at the roots and rocks.
Float X doesn't need as much air pressure than DPX2. There is no bottom in the jumps, even I have 30% sag

Still finding the right setting of LSC.
Hard yet to say which is better

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 4:06 Quote
Some guy i know want's to swap his megatower frame for my evo frame totally down to personal pref I know but any input ?

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 4:11 Quote
I really enjoy the geo adjustment and swatbox. I go from park to trail settings quite a bit and don’t think I’d want to give that up. Good luck though.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 4:53 Quote
Chief2slo wrote:
I really enjoy the geo adjustment and swatbox. I go from park to trail settings quite a bit and don’t think I’d want to give that up. Good luck though.

Yeah I am on the fence here, I just never got along with the suspension at my weight.

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 7:20 Quote
I've heard mixed reviews on the Megatower. The shock tune really doesn't suit everyone.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 10:31 Quote
Chief2slo wrote:

Being that you change the geo, have you encounter any sort of popping/clicking sound from the headset?

I am going through this now. I have taken everything out and wiped it down, then re-greased. Will be good for maybe 1-2 rides then starts popping again. Think it could be the CSU where the steer tube meets but not totally convinced it is not the headset.

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 11:13 Quote
howmaybesgo wrote:
Chief2slo wrote:

Being that you change the geo, have you encounter any sort of popping/clicking sound from the headset?

I am going through this now. I have taken everything out and wiped it down, then re-greased. Will be good for maybe 1-2 rides then starts popping again. Think it could be the CSU where the steer tube meets but not totally convinced it is not the headset.

I've changed mine a few times and haven't had this issue yet. I do find getting the headset tension correct to be a huge pain though. I used friction paste on the lowest piece, but just regular Phil grease on the rest. I have had to retension the headset a few times to get things happy once everything settles in each time. I've debated trying the Wolf Tooth headset just to see if it makes things any easier than the stock FSA setup. Plus, you know, more orange...

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 13:35 Quote
bentin wrote:
...Plus, you know, more orange...

I like where you're going with that lol!

~JSV

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 13:37 Quote
I haven’t had a major problemwith creaking after changes. After 2-3 days in a row of heavy park riding I may get a little creaking. I just disassemble, clean, lube and reinstall. Which honestly I feel like I should do anyway after that much riding. Haven’t had an issue going back the other way, but my local trails are slower and more technical. I HAVE had my seat stay flip chips loosen up on their own though! Still in factory settings I was hearing a “jingle” sound in the trail. Pulled over to investigate and the damn thing was so loose it was dragging in my rotor! Definitely loctite them!

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 13:41 Quote
I have a SJ LT expert, but of course I also have the SWAT too. This MAY be unrelated, but I had a barely noticeable "clicking" sound I thought was coming from my headset. It happened once in a while, like 2 or 3 times on a couple of rides.

It wasn't the headset I found out, then I THOUGHT it was my c02 canister inside the steerer from my OneUp EDC. Found out it wasn't. What it turned out to be was coming from my SWAT.
I also keep the OneUp gear straps under my SWAT bag in the downtube. Sometimes they'd be positioned so that the "buckle" part of the gear strap would bounce when hitting hard terrain or landing from getting any air. I seriously would've bet it was coming from the headset or steerer. The hard part on the end of the straps was clicking against the carbon frame.

I've since been aware of it and make sure they're not "loose" inside the SWAT, never heard the sound again.

~JSV

Posted: Jun 22, 2021 at 15:01 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
I have a SJ LT expert, but of course I also have the SWAT too. This MAY be unrelated, but I had a barely noticeable "clicking" sound I thought was coming from my headset. It happened once in a while, like 2 or 3 times on a couple of rides.

It wasn't the headset I found out, then I THOUGHT it was my c02 canister inside the steerer from my OneUp EDC. Found out it wasn't. What it turned out to be was coming from my SWAT.
I also keep the OneUp gear straps under my SWAT bag in the downtube. Sometimes they'd be positioned so that the "buckle" part of the gear strap would bounce when hitting hard terrain or landing from getting any air. I seriously would've bet it was coming from the headset or steerer. The hard part on the end of the straps was clicking against the carbon frame.

I've since been aware of it and make sure they're not "loose" inside the SWAT, never heard the sound again.

~JSV

Yeah, I carry straps to be able to tie down my CushCore inserts if I need to run a tube and I learned your lesson too. I just tie them around the SWAT toolbag, which has the added benefit of making it easier to keep that thing up in the tube a little higher and still fit the water bladder behind it. Otherwise that things keeps tumbling down into that space.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 10:09 Quote
I have a cascade link for the 2021-2022 Stumpjumper Evo in the buy/sell if anyone has been curious to try it. It definitely works as advertised and increased the bottom out resistance and mid-stroke support. Felt awesome with the stock dpx2.

Sold my Stevo so no longer need it.

$175 shipped to the USA

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 11:16 Quote
Chief2slo wrote:
I haven’t had a major problemwith creaking after changes. After 2-3 days in a row of heavy park riding I may get a little creaking. I just disassemble, clean, lube and reinstall. Which honestly I feel like I should do anyway after that much riding. Haven’t had an issue going back the other way, but my local trails are slower and more technical. I HAVE had my seat stay flip chips loosen up on their own though! Still in factory settings I was hearing a “jingle” sound in the trail. Pulled over to investigate and the damn thing was so loose it was dragging in my rotor! Definitely loctite them!

bentin wrote:
I've changed mine a few times and haven't had this issue yet. I do find getting the headset tension correct to be a huge pain though. I used friction paste on the lowest piece, but just regular Phil grease on the rest. I have had to retension the headset a few times to get things happy once everything settles in each time. I've debated trying the Wolf Tooth headset just to see if it makes things any easier than the stock FSA setup. Plus, you know, more orange...

Just seems odd to me that it creates any noise at all if it is installed correctly. I have had Giants, Treks and Transitions and non have had an issue like this.

I have take everything out, wiped it down, re-greased and then torqued back up. I have tried as light as I can go on the top cap without having play and then trying to snug it maybe a little tighter. Seems like I get 1-2 good rides (5-10mi per ride) and then it is popping again. I was able to get some mechanic's eyes on it one of the last times and he mentioned the CSU. Then I was about to ship off my fork and got a popping sound when loosening the top cap. Snugged it back up and took it to the shop. The stupid bike didn't make a noise. Same thing happened when I took it up to a local Specialized dealer. Pretty frustrating. Otherwise I am loving the bike but when the popping starts it ruins the ride for me.

Posted: Jun 24, 2021 at 11:46 Quote
Get some Hydras, you’ll never notice any other noises.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010846
Mobile Version of Website