21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 11:50 Quote
mtbwillems wrote:
I have the 2021 evo ltd, comes stock in mullet setting. Yesterday I managed to destroy my hub/body internals. I assume it will be covered under warranty but the bikestore is on holiday. I have no spare 27.5 wheel to use but I can borrow a 29 wheel. Does anyone know if the 29 rearwheel will fit with the mullet-link?

There was a guy on the mtbr forums running a 29 rearwheel with the mullet link (size S5 I believe).

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 21:35 Quote
what stem length is everyone running? Thinking about switching to a 35 mm length.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 0:37 Quote
Stumpjumper evo 2021
Stumpjumper evo 2021

Stumpjumper evo 2021
Stumpjumper evo 2021

Stumpjumper evo 2021
Stumpjumper evo 2021

My 2021 stumpy evo comp S3 mullet, with some upgrades:

- Fox 36 perfomance elite
- Rockshox super deluxe ultimate #500lb spring
- Raceface Turbine stem 40mm
- Renthal grips and fatbar lite 35, 30mm rise
- maxxis rubber
- mullet link
- rear xt hub, dt swiss ex511 27.5
- oneup dropper 180mm

Love this thing. I ride tons of bikepark here in Whistler, usually on my DH bike. Very impressed with what the stumpy has been able to handle

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 10:52 Quote
Mongoose-Rockadile wrote:
what stem length is everyone running? Thinking about switching to a 35 mm length.

S3 with a 35mm stem.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 15:20 Quote
dennisbarrera wrote:

- maxxis rubber
- mullet link
- oneup dropper 180mm

Love this thing. I ride tons of bikepark here in Whistler, usually on my DH bike. Very impressed with what the stumpy has been able to handle

Nice build! I'm curious as to your riding weight? I just mounted up a new shock (DHX) with a 500# coil and getting right at 16mm of sag. I weigh about 67kg in my riding gear. Can't wait to try it out, been loving the bike with the Cascade link and DPX2.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 15:21 Quote
Mongoose-Rockadile wrote:

S3 with a 35mm

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 15:27 Quote
NateMob wrote:
dennisbarrera wrote:

- maxxis rubber
- mullet link
- oneup dropper 180mm

Nice build! I'm curious as to your riding weight? I just mounted up a new shock (DHX) with a 500# coil and getting right at 16mm of sag. I weigh about 67kg in my riding gear. Can't wait to try it out, been loving the bike with the Cascade link and DPX2.

I weigh 170lb/77kg getting about 25-30% sag

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 16:05 Quote
dennisbarrera wrote:
NateMob wrote:
dennisbarrera wrote:

- maxxis rubber
- mullet link
- oneup dropper 180mm

I weigh 170lb/77kg getting about 25-30% sag

I guess that makes sense if you're on the stock link. Thank you.

Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 5:40 Quote
vonBock wrote:
mtbwillems wrote:
I have the 2021 evo ltd, comes stock in mullet setting. Yesterday I managed to destroy my hub/body internals. I assume it will be covered under warranty but the bikestore is on holiday. I have no spare 27.5 wheel to use but I can borrow a 29 wheel. Does anyone know if the 29 rearwheel will fit with the mullet-link?

There was a guy on the mtbr forums running a 29 rearwheel with the mullet link (size S5 I believe).

Eventually I tried a 29 rearwheel. Fitted fine. Climbing was even better, downhill didn't notice any difference.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 6:03 Quote
Alright, so the 2021 Evo has been out in the wild long enough that any issues should start to show up. I've only seen one shock (DPX2) come back to the shop with failed damper function. Sorta the thing you'd expect with side loading forces but that bike was only ridden a hand full of times.

Has anyone had similar shock issues yet with the 2021 Stumpy Evo?

Last season I was on the 2020 Evo and the coil was no bueno, but the RS Super Delux Ultimate seemed to hold up well.

I'm wondering if the new yoke layout makes a difference with side loading forces or if it's still a liability?

Interestingly enough, Push Industries is saying that their new Eleven Six coil is fully compatible with 2021 Evo.

I've got about 150 miles of riding on mine and everything seems good with the stock DPX2, knock on wood! I'd love to try a coil...but I'm a bit cautious.

2021 Stump Jumper Evo MX

2021 Stump Jumper Evo MX

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 8:23 Quote
lindsayflowhan wrote:
Alright, so the 2021 Evo has been out in the wild long enough that any issues should start to show up. I've only seen one shock (DPX2) come back to the shop with failed damper function. Sorta the thing you'd expect with side loading forces but that bike was only ridden a hand full of times.

Last season I was on the 2020 Evo and the coil was no bueno, but the RS Super Delux Ultimate seemed to hold up well.

I'm wondering if the new yoke layout makes a difference with side loading forces or if it's still a liability?

Interestingly enough, Push Industries is saying that their new Eleven Six coil is fully compatible with 2021 Evo.

I've got about 150 miles of riding on mine and everything seems good with the stock DPX2, knock on wood! I'd love to try a coil...but I'm a bit cautious.

I blew a freshly serviced DVO Topaz after only a few rides. It was previously used on a 2019 Evo though and when I checked the damper shaft it was scratched to hell. I'm sure a portion of this wear was caused by the 2019 bike. I've been running an Ohlins TTX22m coil for six months and it is working flawlessly.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 8:50 Quote
Finally received and sorted my 21' Evo Expert. Maybe the last brand new one out there? Apparently it showed up at the shop amongst a bunch of 2022's randomly. I only have a couple rides on it so far but damn am I impressed already.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 9:40 Quote
lindsayflowhan wrote:

2021 Stump Jumper Evo MX

2021 Stump Jumper Evo MX

I have blown two DPX2 shocks on my Evo so far this year. Sent one away with warranty, borrowed a friends for two weeks and blew that one too. Just got mine back so we’ll see how that goes. I ride aggressively but I’m still surprised at how the bike eats shocks.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 14:03 Quote
My dpx2 is wheezy for sure but seems to work ok. I liked the super deluxe on my process better though I think.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 0:30 Quote
jimmythesemi wrote:
lindsayflowhan wrote:

2021 Stump Jumper Evo MX

2021 Stump Jumper Evo MX

I have blown two DPX2 shocks on my Evo so far this year. Sent one away with warranty, borrowed a friends for two weeks and blew that one too. Just got mine back so we’ll see how that goes. I ride aggressively but I’m still surprised at how the bike eats shocks.

Get a X2 bit more meat on the shaft

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009278
Mobile Version of Website