21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 8:25 Quote
jimmythesemi wrote:
lindsayflowhan wrote:
Alright, so the 2021 Evo has been out in the wild long enough that any issues should start to show up. I've only seen one shock (DPX2) come back to the shop with failed damper function. Sorta the thing you'd expect with side loading forces but that bike was only ridden a hand full of times.

Has anyone had similar shock issues yet with the 2021 Stumpy Evo?

Last season I was on the 2020 Evo and the coil was no bueno, but the RS Super Delux Ultimate seemed to hold up well.

I'm wondering if the new yoke layout makes a difference with side loading forces or if it's still a liability?

Interestingly enough, Push Industries is saying that their new Eleven Six coil is fully compatible with 2021 Evo.

I've got about 150 miles of riding on mine and everything seems good with the stock DPX2, knock on wood! I'd love to try a coil...but I'm a bit cautious.

2021 Stump Jumper Evo MX

Please update us if this one blows as well- I don't understand why this suspension layout would be more prone to blow out than many others, but if it's an issue- that would concern me.

2021 Stump Jumper Evo MX

I have blown two DPX2 shocks on my Evo so far this year. Sent one away with warranty, borrowed a friends for two weeks and blew that one too. Just got mine back so we’ll see how that goes. I ride aggressively but I’m still surprised at how the bike eats shocks.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 11:13 Quote
jimmythesemi wrote:
I have blown two DPX2 shocks on my Evo so far this year. Sent one away with warranty, borrowed a friends for two weeks and blew that one too. Just got mine back so we’ll see how that goes. I ride aggressively but I’m still surprised at how the bike eats shocks.

When they failed, was it gradual deterioration or a catastrophic event? What PSI were you running and did you swap volume reducers?

Just curious to the exact scenario.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 17:32 Quote
howmaybesgo wrote:
jimmythesemi wrote:

When they failed, was it gradual deterioration or a catastrophic event? What PSI were you running and did you swap volume reducers?

Just curious to the exact scenario.

I was running the stock shock at 240 PSI and didn't swap out the volume reducer. I contemplated the larger spacer but kept the 0.6. There was no catastrophic event, just gradual deterioration. The same thing happened with my friend's DPX2 that I just went through. Ran it at 240 PSI with 10 clicks of rebound but with a larger spacer.

I'm considering the X2 because of it's girth and improvement in the small bump sensitivity of the bike.

Posted: Jul 28, 2021 at 5:19 Quote
I wouldn't expect an X2 to hold up better than a DPX2. The X2 isn't exactly a robust shock and I've seen numerous X2s killed on bikes with much less side loading than a Stumpjumper. A few people I know are now running Super Deluxe Ultimates which seem to be surviving. I've been running an Ohlins TTX22m for 6 months now and it hasn't broken. The DPX2 I had was already needing a bleed when I bought the bike. I put on a DVO Topaz from another bike and the damper shaft and seal head were trashed after only a handful of rides.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 4:24 Quote
Mongoose-Rockadile wrote:
what stem length is everyone running? Thinking about switching to a 35 mm length.

40mm and size S3. Why? More weight to the front and better climbing

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 16:44 Quote
I am thinking of getting a 28T Absolute Black Oval chainring on my '21 Evo. Has anyone tried running one and are there any issues I need to worry about?

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 17:08 Quote
greenkoolaid wrote:
I am thinking of getting a 28T Absolute Black Oval chainring on my '21 Evo. Has anyone tried running one and are there any issues I need to worry about?

I don't think you'd be able to pedal without the chain grinding into the top of chainstay.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 17:20 Quote
I run a 30t AB and it’s got plenty of clearance on the chainstay, and You’d still be well within the adjustment range of the chainguide too.

The 30t oval is similar to a 28t in the dead space and a 32t in the pedal stroke. So a 28t would be like a 26t in the dead zone and a 30t in the pedal stroke.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 17:36 Quote
I took a 30t AB oval off because while in the smaller gears and on the smaller portions of the Chainring, the chain was basically laying on the chainstay. If it works for some all I can think is our terrain and where the chain rides most on the cassette while descending is wildly different.

I'm now on a 32t oval and loving the free speed from stepping up. No problems with NV, UT, WY, or ID trails and bike parks

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 17:41 Quote
Worth mentioning that I’m on an S5 with the longer stays, so it’s possible that it might not be as happy on an S4 or smaller, not sure if the angle of the stays changes though.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 18:04 Quote
bentin wrote:
Worth mentioning that I’m on an S5 with the longer stays, so it’s possible that it might not be as happy on an S4 or smaller, not sure if the angle of the stays changes though.

That's a great point, I'm on an S3.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 20:05 Quote
I run a WT 32 oval. I took off the chain guide amd have ample clearance. I have not dropped a chain in 400 miles of Colorado riding.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 20:19 Quote
I’m running a 32 tooth AB on an S4 and really like it. Chain does get a smidge close to the chain stay in the smaller gears but no contact or issues in hundreds of miles of riding everything from tech trails to park laps.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 at 22:58 Quote
Thanks for the info all. I am on an S4. Looking at where the stock chain sits, its is barely clearing the chain stay protector when in the smallest gear. I think a 28T wouldn't have enough room. I think I should stick with a 30T.

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
NateMob wrote:
I took a 30t AB oval off because while in the smaller gears and on the smaller portions of the Chainring, the chain was basically laying on the chainstay. If it works for some all I can think is our terrain and where the chain rides most on the cassette while descending is wildly different.

I'm now on a 32t oval and loving the free speed from stepping up. No problems with NV, UT, WY, or ID trails and bike parks

Did you bought the AB chainguide ? Or kept the oem one ?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007385
Mobile Version of Website