21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 12:08 Quote
jimmythesemi wrote:
samu2106 wrote:
Insight on Expert vs. Comp builds? 5700€ for comp and 7400€ for expert(Talk about Canadians getting fleeced), not sure if I care about GX vs X01 or GRIP vs GRIP2. I would absolutely switch Comp dropper to OneUp V2 and get carbon wheelset with better hub for it, putting the prices pretty level. That said, if the Expert wheelset doesn't hold up then it's outright bad deal. Slight preference for Expert dark blue color but I'm also open for paint job if I get bored after few years.

Anyone put the mullet link in theirs? Does 29" still fit for ultimate highrider experience?

I have the Comp build and I've wrecked the wheels (rim because I blast through everything) and hub because of low quality. I'll likely be putting a X2 shock and some carbon wheels (WA1) this winter which would bring it closer to the Expert pricing.

If I did it again I'd get the same bike. Gives me some freedom to upgrade where I want.
Thanks, took the Comp home today. In the end the wheels on Expert build are not carbon and I'd probably be looking for upgrades pretty soon.

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 16:30 Quote
Congrats on the purchase!

I was also a lucky Canadian and was able to buy the Comp for $5400.00. I literally called a buddy who owns a shop within seconds of the bike being released...

Wasn't planning on buying a bike but it is the best (impulsive) decision I made.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 1:04 Quote
samu2106 wrote:
Insight on Expert vs. Comp builds? 5700€ for comp and 7400€ for expert(Talk about Canadians getting fleeced), not sure if I care about GX vs X01 or GRIP vs GRIP2. I would absolutely switch Comp dropper to OneUp V2 and get carbon wheelset with better hub for it, putting the prices pretty level. That said, if the Expert wheelset doesn't hold up then it's outright bad deal. Slight preference for Expert dark blue color but I'm also open for paint job if I get bored after few years.

Anyone put the mullet link in theirs? Does 29" still fit for ultimate highrider experience?

I've got the mullet link and running it with the X2. I'm full volume spacers and with recommended sag I'm blowing through the travel. Williams Racing Products are nearly finished on a new mullet link that increases (rather than decreasing!) progression and increases travel slightly. It's a fair bit more money but I think well worth waiting for. I love the bike, but needing to run 30 extra PSI with the reduction in about 5% in sag to manage it at the moment.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 2:26 Quote
jimmythesemi wrote:
Congrats on the purchase!

I was also a lucky Canadian and was able to buy the Comp for $5400.00. I literally called a buddy who owns a shop within seconds of the bike being released...

Wasn't planning on buying a bike but it is the best (impulsive) decision I made.
Thanks. To clarify I'm Finnish so 5700€ is 8466CAD. Did a short ride after I got home and it feels pretty good. Came from 27.5" with 40mm shorter reach and oddly enough the Stump feels just right. I tested Canyon Strive and Mondraker Foxy as well and both felt weird in comparison. Wish I could've tried Spectral and Hugene as well but neither were available anytime soon.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 5:56 Quote
daveg75 wrote:
Williams Racing Products are nearly finished on a new mullet link that increases (rather than decreasing!) progression and increases travel slightly. It's a fair bit more money but I think well worth waiting for. I love the bike, but needing to run 30 extra PSI with the reduction in about 5% in sag to manage it at the moment.

Where did you heard that ? Any date ?

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 7:11 Quote
KSP-PRODUCTIONS wrote:
daveg75 wrote:
Williams Racing Products are nearly finished on a new mullet link that increases (rather than decreasing!) progression and increases travel slightly. It's a fair bit more money but I think well worth waiting for. I love the bike, but needing to run 30 extra PSI with the reduction in about 5% in sag to manage it at the moment.

Edited as it's now out for preorder......
https://www.williamsracingproducts.com/shop/p/specialized-stumpjumper-evo-mullet-yoke-2021-onwards

O+
Posted: Sep 27, 2021 at 20:12 Quote
I have a comp with slx. Love the bike rides every where great. Will I upgrade stuff as it breaks? Maybe but not drastically so. I have a new rear wheel but the old ones fine now after replacing a few spokes.
Get a comp, put on your fav rubber, maybe a one up dropper, and good to rally all year.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 1:19 Quote
has anyone ridden a 2021 transition sentinel with a comparison at all? very similar bikes on paper, especially with the adjustability of the EVO getting the h/angle down to ~63 like the sentinel

O+
Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 6:43 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
has anyone ridden a 2021 transition sentinel with a comparison at all? very similar bikes on paper, especially with the adjustability of the EVO getting the h/angle down to ~63 like the sentinel

The sentinel has a head angle of 63.6 but also would accept any angleset on the market so it’s almost as versatile as the Evo. It has a better carbon layup in its frame as far as feeling like it can take a rock strike and not implode but the worst paint and graphics quality I’ve ever seen on a 6k bike.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 8:34 Quote
NateMob wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:

The sentinel has a head angle of 63.6 but also would accept any angleset on the market so it’s almost as versatile as the Evo. It has a better carbon layup in its frame as far as feeling like it can take a rock strike and not implode but the worst paint and graphics quality I’ve ever seen on a 6k bike.

Yeah have heard about the paint chipping easily - would have a invisiframe kit on it and put some extra pieces where needed so not a huge issue hopefully

but yeah carbon layup willl be much beefier where needed with having no swat etc which is a massive thing now, as im not risking anything that thin again

yeh on paper it looks the same as the evo, which i absolutely loved as a do it all bike, and i thought it climbed incredibly well too, so if the sentinel is of similar climbing abilities, i assume it will be just as good pointed downhill?

O+
Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 8:43 Quote
Yeah have heard about the paint chipping easily - would have a invisiframe kit on it and put some extra pieces where needed so not a huge issue hopefully

but yeah carbon layup willl be much beefier where needed with having no swat etc which is a massive thing now, as im not risking anything that thin again

yeh on paper it looks the same as the evo, which i absolutely loved as a do it all bike, and i thought it climbed incredibly well too, so if the sentinel is of similar climbing abilities, i assume it will be just as good pointed downhill?[/Quote]

Didn't think SWAT was a big thing until i have it....the stuff that can be crammed in there is crazy...tube, pump. snacks, jacket

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 16:39 Quote
daveg75 wrote:
KSP-PRODUCTIONS wrote:
daveg75 wrote:

https://www.williamsracingproducts.com/shop/p/specialized-stumpjumper-evo-mullet-yoke-2021-onwards

Well, I was all excited until I saw that it was 400$ lol

O+
Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 16:56 Quote
KSP-PRODUCTIONS wrote:
daveg75 wrote:
KSP-PRODUCTIONS wrote:

Well, I was all excited until I saw that it was 400$ lol

Probably worth waiting to see what the feedback is. But it look’s promising!

Posted: Oct 1, 2021 at 6:38 Quote
Anyone on a '21 or '22 setup with Mullet Link yet?

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2021 at 8:04 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Anyone on a '21 or '22 setup with Mullet Link yet?

Tons in this thread and in the MTBR thread.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017121
Mobile Version of Website