21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Oct 1, 2021 at 10:30 Quote
Saw all the going reviews of the Cascade Link and I went ahead and bought it. BIG difference along with adding a .30 volume spacer into the X on the 22 Evo. More midstroke support and less pedal strikes through the chunky technical stuff. Also blew some cash on a set of BERD carbon 30mm wheels with I9 hydras. Dropped 550g off the stock ROVAL Aluminum wheelset. The BERDS come in at 1480 grams.

Posted: Oct 4, 2021 at 2:44 Quote
Any news on an allow SJ evo release date?

Posted: Oct 4, 2021 at 7:10 Quote
enigmas1 wrote:
Any news on an allow SJ evo release date?

Sea Otter is this week so I am hoping for lots of new things released. New Kenda "Assegai" tire, new Specialized Cannibal tire, alloy Evo...

Posted: Oct 4, 2021 at 11:03 Quote
Jedimtnbiker wrote:
Saw all the going reviews of the Cascade Link and I went ahead and bought it. BIG difference along with adding a .30 volume spacer into the X on the 22 Evo. More midstroke support and less pedal strikes through the chunky technical stuff. Also blew some cash on a set of BERD carbon 30mm wheels with I9 hydras. Dropped 550g off the stock ROVAL Aluminum wheelset. The BERDS come in at 1480 grams.

Thats good to hear, i got a cascade link but haven't installed it yet. What size spacer comes stock with the float X?

Posted: Oct 4, 2021 at 11:08 Quote
Branny21 wrote:
Jedimtnbiker wrote:

Thats good to hear, i got a cascade link but haven't installed it yet. What size spacer comes stock with the float X?

I’m pretty sure it’s a .6, but don’t quote me on that! Big fan of the cascade link, but I never rode it with an air shock. It really is amazing how much that initial leverage ratio changes things, but I feel like there’s a slight “wall” where the ratio drops/ the progressiveness begins. Overall, very happy though

Posted: Oct 7, 2021 at 11:06 Quote
chxnter wrote:
Finally received and got the RockGuardz protector installed. I have a S4 and the fit was pretty good. The second photo shows the little gap at the top that doesn't sit completely flush and can get some debris in but its easy enough to take the guard off, clean it out, and throw it back on. I did have to file out the top hole a bit and then get a new nut and washer for the inside of the swat box since the original nut didn't want to tighten down nearly enough.

This in combination with some thick 3M wrap I placed up the entire bottom of the downtube and over the ridewrap I already had on the bike should ease all worries I had about rocks and loose trails.

Rockguardz Installed

Rockguardz Installed

Thanks for this..., did you remove the factory rock guard or did the RockGuardz protector bolt on over that?

Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 19:42 Quote
What is that, like some kind of kevlar strip?

~JSV

Posted: Oct 8, 2021 at 21:28 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
What is that, like some kind of kevlar strip?

~JSV

https://rockguardz.com/
Carbon fiber frame guard

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 9:35 Quote
inflatlight wrote:
chxnter wrote:
Finally received and got the RockGuardz protector installed. I have a S4 and the fit was pretty good. The second photo shows the little gap at the top that doesn't sit completely flush and can get some debris in but its easy enough to take the guard off, clean it out, and throw it back on. I did have to file out the top hole a bit and then get a new nut and washer for the inside of the swat box since the original nut didn't want to tighten down nearly enough.

This in combination with some thick 3M wrap I placed up the entire bottom of the downtube and over the ridewrap I already had on the bike should ease all worries I had about rocks and loose trails.

Rockguardz Installed

Rockguardz Installed

Thanks for this..., did you remove the factory rock guard or did the RockGuardz protector bolt on over that?

I removed the factory guard. Someone in the MTBR thread put the factory guard over the RockGuardz but ended up taking it off since it didn't fit super well and basically did nothing to add to protection.

Speaking of frame worries, the new alloy is out!! Looks sick and I'm so stoked they are offering the frame only option straight away at a pretty decent price. Worst case scenario and a rock implodes one of our bikes, at least we can swap everything over to an alloy frame for cheap(er) than before if Specialized ain't gonna help.

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 10:04 Quote
The alloy is out

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-ride-specialized-2022-stumpjumper-evo-alloy-adaptability-meets-affordability.html

For $500 more you can get the Carbon Expert. That comes with Elite suspension vs Factory, but the performance is the same. Also with the Carbon Expert you get X01 derailleur, shifter, and cassette. That is almost the price difference vs GX on the Alloy Elite. I'm glad I was able to Find a Carbon Elite this summer, its been truly a great all around bike. I do really like the Alloy Elite paint job.

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 10:49 Quote
luckyguy19 wrote:
The alloy is out

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-ride-specialized-2022-stumpjumper-evo-alloy-adaptability-meets-affordability.html

For $500 more you can get the Carbon Expert. That comes with Elite suspension vs Factory, but the performance is the same. Also with the Carbon Expert you get X01 derailleur, shifter, and cassette. That is almost the price difference vs GX on the Alloy Elite. I'm glad I was able to Find a Carbon Elite this summer, its been truly a great all around bike. I do really like the Alloy Elite paint job.

they asking for $1200 Cdn to go from elite alloy to expert carbon..sounds like a better deal in the states

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 12:18 Quote
I hope when I destroy my carbon frame I can get an aluminum one, horrified the carbon won’t last in Gerorgetown

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 12:41 Quote
kinda weird you mention that , Im thinking of getting the commencal meta TR and selling my evo 2021 as im petrified that frame is not going to hold another season of abuse.

glad to see im not alone

chunter wrote:
I hope when I destroy my carbon frame I can get an aluminum one, horrified the carbon won’t last in Gerorgetown

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 12:45 Quote
dihanventer wrote:
kinda weird you mention that , Im thinking of getting the commencal meta TR and selling my evo 2021 as im petrified that frame is not going to hold another season of abuse.

glad to see im not alone

chunter wrote:

The carbon on the down tube is down right frighting to look at! Riding down double track with a little pea gravel in the soil makes me nervous haha

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 14:55 Quote
My 2022 SJ EVO Expert cracked after 6 rides from a rock that kicked up from the front wheel.
The rock hit the guard right in the center where it stands off the frame, cracked the guard and the frame.
Do yourself a favor and fill in the center of the guard (from the inside) with polyurethane tape. I also recommend putting something like lizard skinz carbon leather over the outside to dampen impacts.
Essentially the failed $20 part cost me $2000 as Specialized won't warranty it as it was "rider induced"
I found a reputable repair company Montenegro Manufacturing that repaired the frame and beefed it up.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008235
Mobile Version of Website