21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 0:24 Quote
jrouellet wrote:
Biffard wrote:
jrouellet wrote:
Since the new Evo Alloy is out now, I've seen many comments saying that an alloy frame would be that much more durable. Appart from potential rock strikes that would crack a carbon frame, in which other way an alloy frame would be more durable than a carbon equivalent? Let me know what you think about this.

I think people mean that the alloy version would be more durable in the downtube specifically. That is where people have been having issues with rock strikes cracking the frame. However, vitalmtb mentioned in their test of the new alloy Evo that the downtube had multiple dents from rock strikes. So still seems to be an issue but instead of cracked carbon you might have dented aluminum.

This is the achilles heel of this frame IMO. Inadequate stock downtube protection on the carbon version and no stock downtube protection on the new alloy version.

Interesting to hear. Seems like a thick 3M protection tape and/or after market guard would do the job for the average Joe's needs.
That's what I did. 3M Mastic tape, easy and cheap solution.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 2:35 Quote
dennisbarrera wrote:
Anyone else running a FloatX2?

2021 Stumpjumper evo S3
2021 Stumpjumper evo S3

2021 Stumpjumper evo S3
2021 Stumpjumper evo S3

2021 Stumpjumper evo S3
2021 Stumpjumper evo S3

I'm running one with a mullet setup. Had to go full volume spacers and a few extra PSI to control the bottom out but generally loving it. Got a WRP mullet link on order, so I'm hoping when that turns up next month I'll be able to run less spacers.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 6:06 Quote
I have the 2021 evo ltd size S4 since april, the mullet version. Yesterday
I managed to ding my front rotor. Specialized website says it has 200 rotors but when I tried to replace it I found out it is specced with 220 rotors. Anyone else having this?

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 7:50 Quote
daveg75 wrote:
dennisbarrera wrote:

2021 Stumpjumper evo S3
2021 Stumpjumper evo S3

2021 Stumpjumper evo S3
2021 Stumpjumper evo S3

2021 Stumpjumper evo S3
2021 Stumpjumper evo S3

I'm running one with a mullet setup. Had to go full volume spacers and a few extra PSI to control the bottom out but generally loving it. Got a WRP mullet link on order, so I'm hoping when that turns up next month I'll be able to run less spacers.

I'm on the mullet too, with only 2 volume spacers but I might max it out with a couple more

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
mtbwillems wrote:
I have the 2021 evo ltd size S4 since april, the mullet version. Yesterday
I managed to ding my front rotor. Specialized website says it has 200 rotors but when I tried to replace it I found out it is specced with 220 rotors. Anyone else having this?

Yes, the front is 220 and rear 200

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 9:39 Quote
dennisbarrera wrote:

2021 Stumpjumper evo S3
2021 Stumpjumper evo S3

2021 Stumpjumper evo S3
2021 Stumpjumper evo S3

2021 Stumpjumper evo S3
2021 Stumpjumper evo S3

Yes! For me, it transformed the bike. I couldn't get the DPX2 to work. After a lot of messing, I threw on the X2 and with some playing around with LSC and HSC and wee bit more of LSR it is now as playful as the DPX2 but with better stability and progression for those bigger moments. No downsides at all so far!

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 17:02 Quote
If you can spend $5000 on a fricken bike you can spend $40-60 on some proper downtime protection like some mastic tape or RockGaurds CF protector for hells sake!! You could even just mix up some CF epoxy and brush it into the area of the downtube to strengthen it.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 17:28 Quote
Jedimtnbiker wrote:
If you can spend $5000 on a fricken bike you can spend $40-60 on some proper downtime protection like some mastic tape or RockGaurds CF protector for hells sake!! You could even just mix up some CF epoxy and brush it into the area of the downtube to strengthen it.

It's not about the price, but the fact that you shouldn't have to '' upgrade '' something so basic on a brand new bike, specially with that price tag.

Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 22:06 Quote
KSP-PRODUCTIONS wrote:
Jedimtnbiker wrote:

It's not about the price, but the fact that you shouldn't have to '' upgrade '' something so basic on a brand new bike, specially with that price tag.
Well in theory you're correct, and I agree that it makes sense. The truth is though that the overwhelming majority of riders that can afford or are willing to spend that kind of money (and typically more) know enough about bikes and components, and their own particular specific requirements to achieve that desired ride that they'll upgrade or replace many things until it's what they think is the way the bike should perform to their standards.

How many of us change not only expensive things like the shock (very often) but very basic things like the bars, grips, saddle, dropper, chain, chain silencer, even the rims (which can be very expensive) or just the hubs.

I agree again though that something as basic as being attached (or part of) the actual frame shouldn't be necessary maybe to have to fix, upgrade, or modify.

~JSV

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 5:35 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
KSP-PRODUCTIONS wrote:
Jedimtnbiker wrote:

Well in theory you're correct, and I agree that it makes sense. The truth is though that the overwhelming majority of riders that can afford or are willing to spend that kind of money (and typically more) know enough about bikes and components, and their own particular specific requirements to achieve that desired ride that they'll upgrade or replace many things until it's what they think is the way the bike should perform to their standards.

How many of us change not only expensive things like the shock (very often) but very basic things like the bars, grips, saddle, dropper, chain, chain silencer, even the rims (which can be very expensive) or just the hubs.

I agree again though that something as basic as being attached (or part of) the actual frame shouldn't be necessary maybe to have to fix, upgrade, or modify.

~JSV

Yes BUT replacing grips / saddle etc are some kind of luxury, and keeping the OEM ones won't risk to ruin your entire bike, compared to having to add extra protection to the downtube. It's not '' upgrading '' your frame, but solving a critical issue.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying the bike, but always scared when I heard a rock hit something lol pretty sure it's my last Specialized for that reason and a few more details that I feel like were botched... Or was that the downsides of having a bike built during Covid ? lol

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 12:45 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
KSP-PRODUCTIONS wrote:
Jedimtnbiker wrote:

~JSV

Agree on both counts..."you shouldn't have to" but I'd rather have piece of mind and spend $60 on RG, and then if something goes wrong, then by all means, you took the necessary EXTRA STEP and it still fails, its on Speech for sure.

Basic question to all...Frame tape doesn't come from the factory for the entire bike, but we buy RIDE WRAP.
Why wrap your frame/fork in protection tape? To protect it? Why buy RG protector...to protect it..!

It's protection for your investment!

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 13:59 Quote
I’m sorry, but the carbon is way too thin on the down tube. Ride Wrap is for cosmetic protection, not keeping your shit together. Spesh advertises this as an aggressive bike, but not if rocks are involved apparently

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 16:37 Quote
[/Quote]

Agree on both counts..."you shouldn't have to" but I'd rather have piece of mind and spend $60 on RG, and then if something goes wrong, then by all means, you took the necessary EXTRA STEP and it still fails, its on Speech for sure.

Basic question to all...Frame tape doesn't come from the factory for the entire bike, but we buy RIDE WRAP.
Why wrap your frame/fork in protection tape? To protect it? Why buy RG protector...to protect it..!

It's protection for your investment![/Quote]

Yes and no, I buy frame tape and wrap my whole bike ( Bikeshield Protection ) to protect the paint, so my bike looks good and I can resale it in a few years, not to fix some bad engineering/fabrication from Specialized.

They failed hard with that downtube and they will lose customers, specially if they are not covering them.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 20:29 Quote
The carbon is obviously not very robust in the down tube area but if I'm completely honest, a rock strike hard enough (or awkward enough) to truly destroy the frame would likely cause damage to most carbon bikes. I've got about 150 rides on my Evo and I have had the chunkiest of chunkiest impacts and I haven't had an issue so far. All I have is the stock guard and ride wrap. Meanwhile, I have seen a Yeti and Forbidden snap. If you want a truly robust frame and with no concern for rock impacts, buy alloy.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 21:09 Quote
jimmythesemi wrote:
The carbon is obviously not very robust in the down tube area but if I'm completely honest, a rock strike hard enough (or awkward enough) to truly destroy the frame would likely cause damage to most carbon bikes. I've got about 150 rides on my Evo and I have had the chunkiest of chunkiest impacts and I haven't had an issue so far. All I have is the stock guard and ride wrap. Meanwhile, I have seen a Yeti and Forbidden snap. If you want a truly robust frame and with no concern for rock impacts, buy alloy.
I essentially agree with you, about the alloy option, I guess. Maybe I'm not clued-in enough then to know if all these riders are talking about something larger or longer or heavier than what I have on my Stumpy here-Like this guard?
More to come. Mike took a couple of pic s when we went out for a short hellraiser to break in his new Rockhopper in Fresh Pond
I have some ridewrap covering the rest of the downtube to protect the paint. I haven't thought of it being unprotected or really vulnerable with that heavy guard down there, or are the newer EVO's assembled now with less IDK? I also may have a false sense of security knowing that the carbon is super strong (it's way tougher than fiberglass) and maybe I'm not hitting massive intense rock strikes too like some of these other riders.

Like you said a rock strike that can damage anything Fact 11m or stronger I would think may damage anything? Just for example look what abuse is going on here:
I'd like to know how hard these impacts really are that are damaging these frames. IF Spech' is not addressing the issue then they might care more about the weight spec' for selling point than they do about the longevity of these expensive bikes. That's not good, but they can't be the ONLY ones with issues on this.

~JSV

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012331
Mobile Version of Website