close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 13:58 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Has anyone discovered what the best/most robust downtube protection is available for the new Evo?

I’m considering an old tire, like they do with rental bikes…. Ugly, but effective.

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 15:44 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Has anyone discovered what the best/most robust downtube protection is available for the new Evo?

I have the Lizard Skin carbon leather protection, it's like a thick rubber with carbon look, I hope it can distribute the force of the impact compared to a simple '' stiff carbon layer '' like some other brands....

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 17:15 Quote
Damn! Y’all got me paranoid as well so I ordered the RockGuardz guard. Installed it yesterday and saw that my OEM guard was cracked enough to see through it and I had sheared the aft bolt in half! Absolutely no damage to the frame though! I’m not easy on my bike and ruthlessly smash, bounce, fall, drop, and slide down , over, and once, under large rocks. I got longer hardware and installed the OEM over the rockguardz for max protection. Hopefully she’ll stay crack free.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 0:50 Quote
wow starting to see more now - its scary! the protector is uselss! and the carbons far too thin for the bikes intentions!

thats me done really, im going to get a transition sentinel i think, more burly and no talk of any cracking around there

spesh have got the bike so so so right! then gone and got the downtube protection/carbon layup so so so wrong!

nobody should be having to pay to repair these strikes, once in a blue moon it will happen but its now becoming more and more apparent that they arent fit for there aggressive intentions

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 4:18 Quote
KSP-PRODUCTIONS wrote:
ZenkiS14 wrote:

I have the Lizard Skin carbon leather protection, it's like a thick rubber with carbon look, I hope it can distribute the force of the impact compared to a simple '' stiff carbon layer '' like some other brands....

Use it on my Epic, has performed well. Waiting for my new StEvo, so thinking maybe I'll fit the Lizard skins stuff to the frame below the original protection + one layer on top. That should take the sting out of flying rocks. Seems to me that you need both soft layers + a shell to spread out the impact force. The Rockguarz seems nice, but if it's fitted flush with the downtube it might not help from a hard hit by a pointy rock.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 5:54 Quote
I'll probably be looking to do a soft layer of absorbant dampening and then a carbon shell over the top. Who all makes the carbon guards?

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 6:34 Quote
knutspeed wrote:
KSP-PRODUCTIONS wrote:
ZenkiS14 wrote:

Use it on my Epic, has performed well. Waiting for my new StEvo, so thinking maybe I'll fit the Lizard skins stuff to the frame below the original protection + one layer on top. That should take the sting out of flying rocks. Seems to me that you need both soft layers + a shell to spread out the impact force. The Rockguarz seems nice, but if it's fitted flush with the downtube it might not help from a hard hit by a pointy rock.

I think that would be perfect, a hard layer to avoid piercing and a damping layer to absorb the shock.
I added polyurethane below the guard and will add a layer over the guard.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 11:17 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
I'll probably be looking to do a soft layer of absorbant dampening and then a carbon shell over the top. Who all makes the carbon guards?

I used 3M mastic tape under the rockguard and I used a slightly longer piece, reaching about 15-20 cm higher to the point where the color of the body changes.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 21:02 Quote
Yeah well reading from all these stories--and it's true, you're all honest and experienced with this--I'm actually giving it some second thought about how strong (or not) they're making these things. MAYBE it makes a lot more sense not to risk it if there's basically several simple solutions to putting the carbon downtubes at much LESS risk. Right? What's a few extra buck$ toward something that costs thousands.

It's funny how they can make a material and a frame that has the potential to be so tough, so strong, and long lasting, and NOT have a factory engineer's solution for this.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear several of you have that happen when these bikes are so nice, perform so well, and cost SO MUCH and then to have something like that happen to you. It sucks. I'm fortunate that I'm at less risk but it's mainly that I haven't really put my carbon frame through that level of punishment or intensity. It probably doesn't even matter though that if it's a fluke incident that ends up causing that too.

I'm still going to trust its strength with the guard I have on there (for now), but I will think about the possibility more seriously. This thread has been educational that's for sure.

~JSV

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 21:18 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Yeah well reading from all these stories--and it's true, you're all honest and experienced with this--I'm actually giving it some second thought about how strong (or not) they're making these things. MAYBE it makes a lot more sense not to risk it if there's basically several simple solutions to putting the carbon downtubes at much LESS risk. Right? What's a few extra buck$ toward something that costs thousands.

It's funny how they can make a material and a frame that has the potential to be so tough, so strong, and long lasting, and NOT have a factory engineer's solution for this.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear several of you have that happen when these bikes are so nice, perform so well, and cost SO MUCH and then to have something like that happen to you. It sucks. I'm fortunate that I'm at less risk but it's mainly that I haven't really put my carbon frame through that level of punishment or intensity. It probably doesn't even matter though that if it's a fluke incident that ends up causing that too.

I'm still going to trust its strength with the guard I have on there (for now), but I will think about the possibility more seriously. This thread has been educational that's for sure.

~JSV

I wouldn't worry, looks like you have the previous generation SJ which did not have the same widespread downtube cracking issues as reported here. Same goes for the '21+ flex stay SJ which has a thicker downtube than the evo.

The '21+ Evo uses an oversized downtube/swat to allow for the water bladder and more storage, at the expense of durability. Shame because it's a really well rounded bike, I'm toying with picking up an alloy frame but the Vital review saying they sustained multiple dents in the downtube isn't exactly inspiring confidence

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 0:41 Quote
Exactly - they have sacrificed the durability of the frame in that area to get a bigger swat box

Great idea, but it’s poor execution sadly, and it’s going to cost a lot more people a lot more money to fix/replace

I would personally sack them swat box off completely to have a thicker Downtube

It seems like the alloy one probably has the same problem but obviously just dents instead, still a crap solution!

If this was a light xc race bike fair enough it wouldn’t take a pounding but the evo is designed for the roughest terrain out there, so it’s a massive fail for me

I’m gutted as it’s easily one.of the best bikes I’ve had

As said above the ‘lighter’ more trail focussed standard 2021 stumpjumper has a much thicker Downtube in the swat area, makes no sense at all but they’ve double up if not tripled up on the thickness of the downtube on the 2021 stumpjumper! Again makes no sense as it isn’t intended to be used the same!

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 1:54 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:

I would personally sack them swat box off completely to have a thicker Downtube

I really like the SWAT-room on my bikes, been riding it since it first was available on the Stumpy. Also ride an Epic Evo, and had to fit that ugly box + a pump + tool in the head tube. Hurts my eyes Smile

Another good thing about the SWAT room - seems it's easier to get at the downtube and make a repair. It could even be an option to do some DIY-prevention by applying an extra layer of carbon from the inside. Looking forward to when/if mine arrives, I'll definitely have a look at the thickness.

I've run Specialized bikes only - a lot of them - since 2012, and the only crack I've done was the aluminium chainstay on a '14 Camber Evo, which was a known issue and they replaced it on warranty no Qs asked.
Our current '16 & '17 Stumpies have taken an extreme amount of abuse, winter or heat, look like pockmarked war zones, but no cracks or issues other than cosmetic.

I don't believe S have released a crack-prone frame by design. I'd rather guess that it's a quality control issue with the frame manufacturer, and just maybe they're figuring out how to handle this. I have no idea how many StEvos have been sold, but if this was an issue on most bikes, there would likely be a recall or similar. After all, reinforcing the downtube is a matter of grams, so I don't buy the lightness vs durability theory yet.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 5:51 Quote
They could've have done it twice as thick and there would still have enough room for the swat box and the bladder, they just failed, too bad PinkBike don't make a story about it, there's enough content and pics in this thread !

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 5:59 Quote
Yeah the downtube crack thing is definitely a bummer for how well the bike rides and how convenient the SWAT box is. I'm still waiting to hear back from the shop I bought the bike from, they reached out to Specialized about the downtube rock impact. Not optimistic about a reasonable response from Specialized, do a carbon fiber repair to beef up the area seems like the best bet here.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 6:22 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
Exactly - they have sacrificed the durability of the frame in that area to get a bigger swat box

It seems like the alloy one probably has the same problem but obviously just dents instead, still a crap solution!

Just curious, what makes you think that aluminium frame has same problems?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006835
Mobile Version of Website