21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 6:27 Quote
mcharza wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:
Exactly - they have sacrificed the durability of the frame in that area to get a bigger swat box

It seems like the alloy one probably has the same problem but obviously just dents instead, still a crap solution!

Just curious, what makes you think that aluminium frame has same problems?

VitalMTB's alloy review speaks to having dents down there after just a few rides.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 10:25 Quote
That's too bad about the alloy also having problems. It's a shame I love this bike but riding the terrain around here I've had countless rock strikes on the downtube and never had a problem with any other bike. Obviously specialized saw it as a problem and added the protector down there but it definitely isn't enough. Has anyone managed to get it warrantied? Bike shop said I'd most likely be looking at a crash replacement.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 12:25 Quote
mcharza wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:
Exactly - they have sacrificed the durability of the frame in that area to get a bigger swat box

It seems like the alloy one probably has the same problem but obviously just dents instead, still a crap solution!

Chances are, the aluminium version was probably already procuded way before they realized they had a real issue with the downtube and if not, aluminium won't crack like carbon so they probably left it as it is.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 13:33 Quote
mcharza wrote:
Didzy2009 wrote:

Because the reviewer of the alloy one said he noted some dents In the down tube, hence it’s probably thinner alloy down there like it is on the carbon one, I can’t vouch for that but that would be my guess, it’s so it’s got more space as above for the extra swat bladder

It’s not something riders should be worrying about I’ve had 8 carbon bikes prior to this and never once worried about the down tube ( this is my first spesh) they’ve taken hits (live and ride very rocky areas) but almost always deflected off or at worse chipped the paint, never have I seen just rocks flicking up cause damage like these pics are showing especially after hitting a so called protective guard first

I genuinely hope someone sees this at spesh and helps out properly anyone who has such issues, and then next version is totally remade around that area, I will not buy another one until it’s been rectified

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 13:54 Quote
Just heard back from the bike shop, specialized offered a replacement frame for $2000 Canadian what a joke.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 15:25 Quote
cmarwood wrote:
Just heard back from the bike shop, specialized offered a replacement frame for $2000 Canadian what a joke.

That's crap, I'm pretty already upset knowing I'll eventually be in the same boat as you and so many others now.

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 15:55 Quote
And the same thing can/will happen to a new frame

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 16:23 Quote
Yeah exactly, not wanting to spend two grand for another eggshell that's going to crack from a rock again. Looking into a crash replacement alloy model.

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 1:18 Quote
cmarwood wrote:

gutted for you dude - best thing you can do is just get a carbon repair done on it, and ask them to beef up the area as best they can, it will be far far far far cheaper than $2k!!! and it might actually stand a chance of not cracking if it happens again

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 1:21 Quote
cmarwood wrote:
Yeah exactly, not wanting to spend two grand for another eggshell that's going to crack from a rock again. Looking into a crash replacement alloy model.

i think the words 'egg shell' actually sum up that area perfectly, it absolutely is about as thick down there as a egg shell and cracks in exactly the same manner as a egg shell would

if i had the choice of a replacement alloy or carbon at this stage id take the alloy all day long, even though it sounds like that may get dented!

this is the thing, very frustrating, santa cruz bikes maybe what, 1-2lbs heavier, but boy are they way way way more durable to the point you just simply dont even think about things like happening this when riding, unless you were to crash or be incredibly unlucky

sadly no SC bike of recent times has ridden as well as this EVO, but its just not worth the risk for me

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 5:50 Quote
cmarwood wrote:

Did they offer you an option of an aluminum frame at a crash replacement price? I asked the shop I got mine through to ask about that option, still waiting to hear back.

But yeah that price sucks for their lack of building a strong frame. Carbon repair to beef the area up seems like best bet, I’m looking at that route.

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 19:40 Quote
Hey everyone, new to specialized and the evo expert (just got a brand new 2021 s3) so far so good and I ordered a 180 dropper and some beefier down tube protection.
I'm wondering if you all find the stock shock and progression to be pretty good. I was looking at Fox's volume spacer chart and if the stock shock (201x55) comes with the 0.6^3 spacer (which i read it does) then it's already maxed-out.
Maybe it's not an issue though. Bike plenty progressive?

Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 20:50 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
Hey everyone, new to specialized and the evo expert (just got a brand new 2021 s3) so far so good and I ordered a 180 dropper and some beefier down tube protection.
I'm wondering if you all find the stock shock and progression to be pretty good. I was looking at Fox's volume spacer chart and if the stock shock (201x55) comes with the 0.6^3 spacer (which i read it does) then it's already maxed-out.
Maybe it's not an issue though. Bike plenty progressive?

check out cascade if you want a more progressive setup

https://cascadecomponents.bike/collections/specialized-linkages/products/stumpjumper-lt-link-2021-current

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 9:37 Quote
Sorry to hear about your guys' frames.

It's kind of crazy how this issue hasn't gotten more exposure, given both this thread and the mtbr one are riddled with cracked frames. At this point it's pretty clear this is a design issue, and spesh doesn't seem to be warrantying any of them, which is f*cked.

You spend this much money on a bike, you shouldn't be having to do carbon repair or DIY frame guards, only to be out another couple of grand when the thing inevitably cracks again.

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 9:45 Quote
splitlit wrote:
Sorry to hear about your guys' frames.

It's kind of crazy how this issue hasn't gotten more exposure, given both this thread and the mtbr one are riddled with cracked frames. At this point it's pretty clear this is a design issue, and spesh doesn't seem to be warrantying any of them, which is f*cked.

You spend this much money on a bike, you shouldn't be having to do carbon repair or DIY frame guards, only to be out another couple of grand when the thing inevitably cracks again.

They are warrantying a friend of mines... Specialized paid to get it fixed while she waits for a new frame.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006806
Mobile Version of Website