21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 11:07 Quote
that being said maybe if theres evidence of 5-6 frames with the same consistent damage we can build a case and even start posting on the social landscapes and make a cool hashtag like #evogate or something ....

in this new age of digital outrage im sure we can get away with them warranting and changing an inherent flaw in their design ??

im too scared to check my frame though....

jaydawg69 wrote:
splitlit wrote:
Sorry to hear about your guys' frames.

It's kind of crazy how this issue hasn't gotten more exposure, given both this thread and the mtbr one are riddled with cracked frames. At this point it's pretty clear this is a design issue, and spesh doesn't seem to be warrantying any of them, which is f*cked.

You spend this much money on a bike, you shouldn't be having to do carbon repair or DIY frame guards, only to be out another couple of grand when the thing inevitably cracks again.

They are warrantying a friend of mines... Specialized paid to get it fixed while she waits for a new frame.

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 13:16 Quote
looks like the extra tape that came with the bike worked well underneath the bottom guard, no issues for me so far with a few chunky rock strikes.

dont mind the filth, they are mountain bikes afterall

but , the drain hole doesnt look very good, could this become an issue ?

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 17:17 Quote
I just went ahead and got the thickest downtube protection bikearmor makes and added 2 layers of outdoor 2-sided gorilla tape under the plastic guard before i even take it out for a real ride

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 18:08 Quote
I just got the ROCKGUARDS in over the weekend and put a couple layers of HELI tape on the backside for some impact absorption. Worth the $55.

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 21:49 Quote
calicartel wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:
Hey everyone, new to specialized and the evo expert (just got a brand new 2021 s3) so far so good and I ordered a 180 dropper and some beefier down tube protection.
I'm wondering if you all find the stock shock and progression to be pretty good. I was looking at Fox's volume spacer chart and if the stock shock (201x55) comes with the 0.6^3 spacer (which i read it does) then it's already maxed-out.
Maybe it's not an issue though. Bike plenty progressive?

check out cascade if you want a more progressive setup

https://cascadecomponents.bike/collections/specialized-linkages/products/stumpjumper-lt-link-2021-current
Yes!! Any Stumpy or EVO you want to get the Cascade. I put this on my Stumpy and it changed EVERYTHING. Some people have told me they don't think there's much of a difference, but I don't know what they were riding. Major change and made my DPX2 feel like a modified version of the shock.

FYI -you WILL have to expect to increase the PSI to get back your sag to where you're used to it. Expect at least an additional 18-20 PSI at least, maybe a little more. You'll know how much once you have it installed. Just wanted to chime-in because of the huge difference it made to my Stumpy.

~JSV

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 7:10 Quote
jaydawg69 wrote:
splitlit wrote:
Sorry to hear about your guys' frames.

It's kind of crazy how this issue hasn't gotten more exposure, given both this thread and the mtbr one are riddled with cracked frames. At this point it's pretty clear this is a design issue, and spesh doesn't seem to be warrantying any of them, which is f*cked.

You spend this much money on a bike, you shouldn't be having to do carbon repair or DIY frame guards, only to be out another couple of grand when the thing inevitably cracks again.

They are warrantying a friend of mines... Specialized paid to get it fixed while she waits for a new frame.

No warranty for me I paid for my repair and $1800 for a crash replacement frame which I should receive next month.
Specialized called it rider-induced damage.

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 12:26 Quote
Just heard back from the shop. No eta on replacement carbon frames. Alloy not available until 2023. Pretty disappointed. Don't think I'll bother with another carbon frame. Rock strikes are too common around here. Guess I'll be looking into a repair for now and an alloy in 2 years. Or maybe buy something else. Anything else with similar geometry out there?

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 12:35 Quote
cmarwood wrote:
Just heard back from the shop. No eta on replacement carbon frames. Alloy not available until 2023. Pretty disappointed. Don't think I'll bother with another carbon frame. Rock strikes are too common around here. Guess I'll be looking into a repair for now and an alloy in 2 years. Or maybe buy something else. Anything else with similar geometry out there?

Sentinel

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 12:48 Quote
Haha, I'm selling my 2022 S4 Expert. I picked up a Transition Spire yesterday.

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 18:49 Quote
cmarwood wrote:

I don’t think they’re available as framesets, but the new Rallon is literally a better Evo. No paper thin carbon, and you can run any coil shock you want on it without side loading it to death

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 5:53 Quote
chunter wrote:
cmarwood wrote:

I don’t think they’re available as framesets, but the new Rallon is literally a better Evo. No paper thin carbon, and you can run any coil shock you want on it without side loading it to death

I was looking into the Meta TR frames, everything from the Evo is a straight swap over including seat post and shock.

Only question I had was if anyone knows what the Rx Trail Tune is equivalent to in terms of light/med/firm rebound/compression?

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 10:24 Quote
the new Canyon Spectrals' just came out yesterday , im literally adding the Mullet version to the cart right now.

i think the second user warranty is a good selling point on the stumpy if selling in the first year, even though mine is fine and it is a playful bike id rather step away from possible future issues aswell.

tbooz wrote:
chunter wrote:
cmarwood wrote:

I was looking into the Meta TR frames, everything from the Evo is a straight swap over including seat post and shock.

Only question I had was if anyone knows what the Rx Trail Tune is equivalent to in terms of light/med/firm rebound/compression?

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 22:03 Quote
chxnter wrote:
Finally received and got the RockGuardz protector installed. I have a S4 and the fit was pretty good. The second photo shows the little gap at the top that doesn't sit completely flush and can get some debris in but its easy enough to take the guard off, clean it out, and throw it back on. I did have to file out the top hole a bit and then get a new nut and washer for the inside of the swat box since the original nut didn't want to tighten down nearly enough.

This in combination with some thick 3M wrap I placed up the entire bottom of the downtube and over the ridewrap I already had on the bike should ease all worries I had about rocks and loose trails.

Rockguardz Installed

Rockguardz Installed

Just got my rockguardz. I have a bigger gap than you on the top. I also had to file the hole. Just flip the nut around for the top bolt.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 22:26 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
Hey everyone, new to specialized and the evo expert (just got a brand new 2021 s3) so far so good and I ordered a 180 dropper and some beefier down tube protection.
I'm wondering if you all find the stock shock and progression to be pretty good. I was looking at Fox's volume spacer chart and if the stock shock (201x55) comes with the 0.6^3 spacer (which i read it does) then it's already maxed-out.
Maybe it's not an issue though. Bike plenty progressive?

Meh I was not content with the dpx2 (mind you I bought the comp build) and swapped out for a 2022 factory X2 and am enjoying the bike much more as I’m more confident in the X2 holding up with all day shuttles. I have mine setup as a mullet though and supposedly killed some of the progressiveness. But I love a super playful bike I can easily whip in turns and boost off jumps.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008800
Mobile Version of Website