21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 6:25 Quote
Glad you posted this, but now I am questioning my selection in frame size... My last few bikes have been Large, S3 Enduro, S4 stumpy and I went S4 frame again on the EVO. I am 5'10 but I think I prefer the larger bike feel. Partly because I like the stability and partly because in my mind I feel more confident in the bike as a heavier than average rider.

Also- to comment on the mullet config. I have heard the same feedback about the specialized yoke leaving something to be desired- however it sounds like the WRP yoke is far superior.

[Quote="lyzyrdskydr"][Quote="Daray"]
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
At 5'9" I'd absolutely go with an S3, especially if you're looking for something more "playful" than the Enduro. I figured the Evo is long and slack enough that it will be stable in either size, so I "sized down" to an S5. The bike feels significantly shorted seated with the steeper SA, so I slid the saddle to the middle of the rails rather than slammed forward on the Enduro. It's comfortable for me but I do generally prefer a more upright seated position. I am running a 50mm +6d stem with 800 x 50mm bars for reference

The bike feels more eager to switch lines and hop over stuff where the Enduro prefers to plow. The bike can definitely still smash through stuff and I'm impressed how well it keeps up with the 170mm 38. I thought I might end up putting my 36 on from my regular SJ but I'm definitely keeping it as is.

I was skeptical about the basic Float X, but so far it has given me no reasons to consider replacing it. It feels like it has enough damping to give good support and prevent wallowing but still feels really sensitive to small bumps and sharp hits. I have bottomed it out a couple times, but only in appropriate places (~5' drops to flat/into holes) and it wasn't a harsh clang or anything like that. It feels significantly better than the dpx2 equipped Evos I've ridden ('21 & '20). As for frame progression, it feels great to me with the air shock but I don't think I'd run a coil without a prorate spring or aftermarket link. I'm currently running 15mm of sag so 29% at the shock, not sure what the translates to at the wheel

As for durability, the down tube doesn't seem thin tapping on it but keep in mind the Evo is over a pound lighter than a comparable Transition, so it's never gonna be as bombproof. I also read the Vital review but I'm not really concerned as my terrain doesn't have a lot of big loose rocks like where they tested and I'm ~40lbs lighter than the reviewer. I'll post on here if I pick up any dings or dents but its not something I'm gonna be thinking about while riding. The frame feels really solid while riding and I don't detect any kind of unwanted flex or binding

If you are sure you want a mullet bike get the Patrol, as I've heard the mullet link for the Evo isn't great. Personally I think geometry plays a bigger role than wheel size in how "playful" a bike is (yes I've ridden/owned a mullet bike). I had a v1 Sentinel which I liked, and considered a v2 but felt like I'd be in between sizes with its shorter stays and lower stack. I also was able to get a much better deal on the Evo frameset despite having hookups with both brands, and it was actually available. No regrets so far

Sorry for writing a novel

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 7:37 Quote
photo
After all the issues finally got to enjoy the bike doing what I bought it for, my intention was to use it as a light Enduro bike, and it did not disappoint. The handling is outstanding and it feels dialed now, set up as a mullet with a cushcore in the rear Fox 38, and TRP brakes I'm back to being stocked to ride and set PR's.
a potential future upgrade may be the rear shock (X2 may be coming soon).

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 8:02 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
you mentioned the mullet link and I was wondering if any riders (if it's even possible) ever un the mullet set-up WITHOUT changing to that mullet link. Does it screw up the suspension and not work properly? I just though if it was possible maybe some more DH riders would benefit from the geo' but it may cause the rear end to bottom out? Honestly IDK much about these mullet set-ups, they just interest me.

The issue with running a 27.5" rear wheel without the mullet link, is that the bottom bracket will drop about 20mm and you'll smack the cranks/pedals on all kinds of things. The Evo already has a low BB as a 29er, the mullet link helps preserve the stock geometry while allowing you to run the smaller rear wheel. The tradeoff is that mullet link is a bit less progressive than the stock link and also adds 5mm of rear travel.

I've been running the mullet link on my Evo for a few months now and have really enjoyed it. I'm a shorter rider, so having a bit more clearance over the rear wheel has been a big plus for me. I added a little more pressure to the DPX2 after switching to the mullet setup and I really don't have any complaints about the change in progression.

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 8:43 Quote
Gnougat wrote:
So I reached out to CK, and here's what the customer sales rep shared:

"After hearing from customers, the DropSet5 is incompatible with the flip chip headtube that allows for a slacker headtube angle. It sounds to me like perhaps this is only true in one of the flip chip orientations as many customers have reported that it's a no-fit as the bearing cap rubs on the frame. If that's not the case for you, I'd be curious to know if you've tried to use the headtube angle adjust feature and if so, which size frame you have? "

What they shared is consistent with own experience - I've only been running my headset cups in either neutral or +1deg, which would explain why it's fit just fine for me thus far. I'm on an S2 frame.

Running it in neutral, never tried the other chip, and S4 frame.

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 11:16 Quote
sempertoy wrote:
Glad you posted this, but now I am questioning my selection in frame size... My last few bikes have been Large, S3 Enduro, S4 stumpy and I went S4 frame again on the EVO. I am 5'10 but I think I prefer the larger bike feel. Partly because I like the stability and partly because in my mind I feel more confident in the bike as a heavier than average rider.

Also- to comment on the mullet config. I have heard the same feedback about the specialized yoke leaving something to be desired- however it sounds like the WRP yoke is far superior.

If you prefer the feel of the bigger size especially having owned/ridden bikes with similar geo, then stick with it.

I just think some people overlook the relationship between HA/FC and reach, for example my regular SJ is an S6 but has a degree steeper HA than the Evo but it feels great. The tester for the Vital review was a very similar height to myself and on the S6 Evo, and commented he preferred the steepest geo settings (can't see myself going steeper on my S5). DH race bikes have the slackest angles and longest forks but have more conservative reach numbers than most enduro bikes

Most important thing is not to listen too closely to people on forums and get whatever suits your preferences

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 11:31 Quote
DammitMike wrote:
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
you mentioned the mullet link and I was wondering if any riders (if it's even possible) ever un the mullet set-up WITHOUT changing to that mullet link. Does it screw up the suspension and not work properly? I just though if it was possible maybe some more DH riders would benefit from the geo' but it may cause the rear end to bottom out? Honestly IDK much about these mullet set-ups, they just interest me.

The issue with running a 27.5" rear wheel without the mullet link, is that the bottom bracket will drop about 20mm and you'll smack the cranks/pedals on all kinds of things. The Evo already has a low BB as a 29er, the mullet link helps preserve the stock geometry while allowing you to run the smaller rear wheel. The tradeoff is that mullet link is a bit less progressive than the stock link and also adds 5mm of rear travel.

I've been running the mullet link on my Evo for a few months now and have really enjoyed it. I'm a shorter rider, so having a bit more clearance over the rear wheel has been a big plus for me. I added a little more pressure to the DPX2 after switching to the mullet setup and I really don't have any complaints about the change in progression.

I have the same feeling, I really like the mullet mode.
Geo setting, front mid and read high

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 12:29 Quote
Anyone know if Fox Float X2’s hold up against the side loading? I’ve been running a DHX2 for a while and it’s been amazing except blowing it twice in a month recently. Didn’t realize Fox said running it was no good, so I’m gonna get out while I’m ahead I think.

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 13:17 Quote
iamenduro14 wrote:
Anyone know if Fox Float X2’s hold up against the side loading? I’ve been running a DHX2 for a while and it’s been amazing except blowing it twice in a month recently. Didn’t realize Fox said running it was no good, so I’m gonna get out while I’m ahead I think.

Any air shock is totally fine regarding the side loading, it’s the coils with small diameter shafts that have the issue. I have a DVO Jade X on mine and that’s been holding up well if you wanna stick to coil. I much prefer Fox, but it’s been solid

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 13:18 Quote
iamenduro14 wrote:

Not sure what this means by "running it". Help a knucklehead out here.

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 13:21 Quote
crockpot2001 wrote:
iamenduro14 wrote:

Not sure what this means by "running it". Help a knucklehead out here.

Using it as the shock on his bike. ya knucklehead...

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 13:33 Quote
chunter wrote:
iamenduro14 wrote:

Any air shock is totally fine regarding the side loading, it’s the coils with small diameter shafts that have the issue. I have a DVO Jade X on mine and that’s been holding up well if you wanna stick to coil. I much prefer Fox, but it’s been solid

I would avoid the X2 on any bike if you want a shock that holds up. In my extended riding group almost everyone who's had an X2 has had one or more failures in the first season (including myself). My friends is ~130lbs and his '20 X2 blew 3 times on his Yeti. Then he got a Sentinel with the new '21 X2 and it blew in the first 200 miles

I'm digging the Float X so far and find it superior to the dpx2, also the upcoming super deluxe sounds promising. As for coil the only ones I know of that are "approved" for the SJ are the '22 DHX (larger shaft than DHX2, stronger) and the DVO Jade X

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 15:48 Quote
Multiple people I know have blown new X2s on various bikes within a very short time. The X2 on my brother's Enduro just failed and is being sent in for warranty prior to being sold. If we're talking about coils, I've been running an Ohlins for about a year and it's been working extremely well. It's a very robustly built shock and handles the side loading well.

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 23:53 Quote
Been riding the S4 as a mullet since I bought it (EVO ltd) and due to issues with my rear hub I have ridden it a couple weeks wih 29 rearwheel and mullet link. Far less pedalstrokes but handling was still fine.

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 15:15 Quote
WalrusRider wrote:
I tried the .86 spacer but it was only a marginal improvement for me. After a few rides I tossed the DPX2 in the bin and got an Ohlins coil and Cascade link. Drastically better performance.

Just ordered the cascade link. Christmas present! Thanks, Mom! lol
I have quite enjoyed the dpx2 for everything other than really hard landings up to this point so I think with the link it will be just fine!

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2021 at 4:47 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
WalrusRider wrote:
I tried the .86 spacer but it was only a marginal improvement for me. After a few rides I tossed the DPX2 in the bin and got an Ohlins coil and Cascade link. Drastically better performance.

Just ordered the cascade link. Christmas present! Thanks, Mom! lol
I have quite enjoyed the dpx2 for everything other than really hard landings up to this point so I think with the link it will be just fine!

I get mine later today. Once I got the pressure up to 318# as Specialized recommends I stopped bottoming out but the small bump compliance is non-existent. Tokens just meant less travel. Of course a cold, hard rains comes in this afternoon. Frown

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011602
Mobile Version of Website