21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Nov 18, 2021 at 6:00 Quote
crockpot2001 wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:
WalrusRider wrote:
I tried the .86 spacer but it was only a marginal improvement for me. After a few rides I tossed the DPX2 in the bin and got an Ohlins coil and Cascade link. Drastically better performance.

Just ordered the cascade link. Christmas present! Thanks, Mom! lol
I have quite enjoyed the dpx2 for everything other than really hard landings up to this point so I think with the link it will be just fine!

I get mine later today. Once I got the pressure up to 318# as Specialized recommends I stopped bottoming out but the small bump compliance is non-existent. Tokens just meant less travel. Of course a cold, hard rains comes in this afternoon. Frown

You’re saying you have less small bump compliance with the Cascade link? I found just the opposite, even with 30 psi over the Specialized pressure recommendation for the stock link. Much more active in initial stroke with the Cascade.

Posted: Nov 18, 2021 at 6:21 Quote
crockpot2001 wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:
WalrusRider wrote:
I tried the .86 spacer but it was only a marginal improvement for me. After a few rides I tossed the DPX2 in the bin and got an Ohlins coil and Cascade link. Drastically better performance.

I have quite enjoyed the dpx2 for everything other than really hard landings up to this point so I think with the link it will be just fine!

I get mine later today. Once I got the pressure up to 318# as Specialized recommends I stopped bottoming out but the small bump compliance is non-existent. Tokens just meant less travel. Of course a cold, hard rains comes in this afternoon. Frown

By tokens, I assume you mean volume reducer/spacer? If so, they don’t effect travel, just air volume and ramp up. Also, if you’re already needing to run 318# to achieve proper sag, adding the cascade link might present a problem: with the link, you will have to increase psi to achieve the same sag, which might put you at/over max for the DPX2.

Posted: Nov 18, 2021 at 7:27 Quote
jbess001 wrote:
crockpot2001 wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:

By tokens, I assume you mean volume reducer/spacer? If so, they don’t effect travel, just air volume and ramp up. Also, if you’re already needing to run 318# to achieve proper sag, adding the cascade link might present a problem: with the link, you will have to increase psi to achieve the same sag, which might put you at/over max for the DPX2.

I GET mine today. I don't have it yet. Good to know it will improve small bumps

Posted: Nov 18, 2021 at 7:30 Quote
jbess001 wrote:
crockpot2001 wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:

Maybe he is already running less than 30% sag. I have tried running up to 25 psi more than recommended even with the stock link (less sag) (270-280 psi vs 256 recommended) to get more bottom resistance. It isn't horrible as that rearward axle path in the early part of the stroke helps mask what should be harsh performance. Can't wait for the link where that amount of pressure should get me the sag I want!

Posted: Nov 18, 2021 at 7:31 Quote
crockpot2001 wrote:
jbess001 wrote:
crockpot2001 wrote:

Interesting about the need for additional pressure. +30 will be right at the very max. I hardly have the arms to get pressure to 318# Wink

I ran lower air than recommended with tokens to soften the small bumps which resulted in more sag but and much less full stroke of the shock. That effectively did reduce my total travel. It will be nice to have the additional 8mm Cascade claims to provide.

Posted: Nov 18, 2021 at 9:02 Quote
crockpot2001 wrote:
crockpot2001 wrote:
jbess001 wrote:

Interesting about the need for additional pressure. +30 will be right at the very max. I hardly have the arms to get pressure to 318# Wink

I ran lower air than recommended with tokens to soften the small bumps which resulted in more sag but and much less full stroke of the shock. That effectively did reduce my total travel. It will be nice to have the additional 8mm Cascade claims to provide.

What you were experiencing there was a more progressive suspension curve because of the reduced air volume. The result is that it takes a lot more force to compress the suspension the deeper you go, making it hard to get the last bit of stroke unless you have a really hard hit. The cascade link will have the same basic effect.

Posted: Nov 20, 2021 at 12:35 Quote
Just got a 2022 Evo comp and after two rides I noticed a dent in the tube just above the bottom bracket underneath the Specialized shield.

I ordered a better protector but until it arrives I came up with an improvised solution using Duck heavy duty weatherstrip seal. It is basically a hollow rubber tube with adhesive on one side which allows it to stick to most surfaces.

I think any weatherstripping which is hollow rubber should help dissipate potential impacts if placed underneath the stock Specialized shield.

https://imgur.com/a/8qWyYdL

Posted: Nov 20, 2021 at 15:16 Quote
Can anyone clue me in to which q factor/chainline 1x12 XTR crankset would work (best?) with the 21/22 stumpy evo? Shimano offers 162, 168, 171, and 174 mm width versions. Looks like the 171 is for super boost (157mm hub) and the rest would work ok with regular boost (148mm)? Because I'm toward the bigger side and it's for a S4, thinking 168 or 174 might be ideal, but curious to hear any thoughts, eg pedal-ability vs stability or stability vs clearance, if 174 is maybe too wide, etc?). Interesting seeing a lot of online sellers mention 168 version (FC-M9120) along the lines of "wider, and good for trail/enduro" but Shimano in contrast calls it "narrow".

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/xtr-m9100.html

Posted: Nov 20, 2021 at 17:08 Quote
preemtb wrote:
Just got a 2022 Evo comp and after two rides I noticed a dent in the tube just above the bottom bracket underneath the Specialized shield.

I ordered a better protector but until it arrives I came up with an improvised solution using Duck heavy duty weatherstrip seal. It is basically a hollow rubber tube with adhesive on one side which allows it to stick to most surfaces.

I think any weatherstripping which is hollow rubber should help dissipate potential impacts if placed underneath the stock Specialized shield.

"Dent" in carbon? Got any pics of the damage?

Posted: Nov 20, 2021 at 18:55 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
preemtb wrote:

could be the new alloy Evo?

Posted: Nov 20, 2021 at 19:06 Quote
doconnor wrote:
Curious if/why the s-works ('22?) version might not have the carbon shock extension anymore? It's not listed in the frame details here - https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-stumpjumper-evo/p/199753/specs . I think it's just a tiny bit lighter than the alloy shock extension but thought (besides shock and maybe chainguide difference), it was the only differentiation for the s-works? Having a hard time finding what the alloy vs carbon yoke weight difference is.

Just got my 2022 S works Stumpy EVO frame in last week, yes it has a carbon yoke.

Posted: Nov 20, 2021 at 19:55 Quote
calicartel wrote:
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
preemtb wrote:

could be the new alloy Evo?

I have the alloy Evo, it does not come with a down tube protector. The protector in his picture is from the carbon version

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 12:04 Quote
Simann wrote:
doconnor wrote:
Curious if/why the s-works ('22?) version might not have the carbon shock extension anymore? It's not listed in the frame details here - https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-stumpjumper-evo/p/199753/specs . I think it's just a tiny bit lighter than the alloy shock extension but thought (besides shock and maybe chainguide difference), it was the only differentiation for the s-works? Having a hard time finding what the alloy vs carbon yoke weight difference is.

Just got my 2022 S works Stumpy EVO frame in last week, yes it has a carbon yoke.

Thanks for confirming.

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 12:21 Quote
doconnor wrote:
Simann wrote:
doconnor wrote:

Thanks for confirming.

I did some research and think the gnartec downtube protector looks great, I think it will be available next month.

Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 12:55 Quote
Robs-Primal-Life wrote:
doconnor wrote:
Simann wrote:

Thanks for confirming.

I did some research and think the gnartec downtube protector looks great, I think it will be available next month.

That's the one I'm awaiting too. Hopefully the new ones will be in stock soon. Be sure to post here if you see them available!

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006700
Mobile Version of Website