21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Nov 21, 2021 at 19:15 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
preemtb wrote:
Just got a 2022 Evo comp and after two rides I noticed a dent in the tube just above the bottom bracket underneath the Specialized shield.

I ordered a better protector but until it arrives I came up with an improvised solution using Duck heavy duty weatherstrip seal. It is basically a hollow rubber tube with adhesive on one side which allows it to stick to most surfaces.

I think any weatherstripping which is hollow rubber should help dissipate potential impacts if placed underneath the stock Specialized shield.

https://imgur.com/a/8qWyYdL

"Dent" in carbon? Got any pics of the damage?

Should've taken a picture of the quarter-sized dimple but didn't... sorry about that. It is the carbon evo comp frame not alloy.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 19:12 Quote
WalrusRider wrote:
Multiple people I know have blown new X2s on various bikes within a very short time. The X2 on my brother's Enduro just failed and is being sent in for warranty prior to being sold. If we're talking about coils, I've been running an Ohlins for about a year and it's been working extremely well. It's a very robustly built shock and handles the side loading well.

I’m thinking about putting the Ohlins on my new alloy build… you running the standard TTX22 in 210 x 55? Any chance you running an Ohlins fork too?

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 12:56 Quote
Greetings all, new SJ Evo owner here as of mid-September, coming from a custom Yeti 130 build. First impression was wow. Perhaps coming from a 130 isn't entirely accurate, as I was able to get my hands on a 2022 S4 Levo in June of 2021. At the time, I didn't have any immediate plans to update my quiver, until a S4 SWorks arrived at my LBS, my mind began to wonder on what a SJ Evo would feel like, as the new Levo essentially the electrified version. I also have always been envious of the SWAT storage and geo adjustability.

Safe to say I am not disappointed.

My first time swinging a leg over the bike was the weekend of the last Lake Superior Gravity Series 8 stage enduro in Marquette, Mi. Before race day, I had 3 practice laps in on the SJ EVO to essentially bed in my pads & rotors, before waiving the white flag with the ridiculous lift lines. If I was going to get any useful race pace runs in in before the race, I had opted for the Levo for a few last runs.

Spec wise, I ran the bike completely stock, minus swapping the brakes for 4piston XTs. There was a slight learning curve with the tires as well. They're super predicable and I love the butcher & eliminator tread pattern, but found the casing to be a bit less stable at my go-to pressures. Like clockwork, I run 28psi R on a Maxxis DHF tire w/ DD casing + cushy and 25psi EXO+ Assegai without any insert on the front.

Keep in mind, my following review will be based on a Large SB130 brunch ride (137mm Rear, 150mm Front) comparison, I immediately threw it into the slack and high setting, to match my S4 Levo. Without sufficient time to find out that the suspension calculator on Spesh's website + Rx tune is a bit on the soft side, my initial reaction was that it was less apt to do a technical climb, but after getting the shock pressure sorted, it was more eager than I had first thought. It will be rather hard to match the climbing capabilities of a Yeti switch infinity platform, but the lighter weight SJ frame makes up for the difference.

Coming down, I think the longer wheel base and slacker HA treated me well, as I felt more comfortable in the technical bits of trails that I'm very familiar with. Kudos to fox on the float X, comparing Spesh FSR to Yeti SI, the rear shock considerably better. With very comparable geo numbers to the 130, I felt right at home with the bike, it felt more nimble and responsive to rider input, especially after being well acquainted with the Levo.

Biggest learning curve was the additional 17mm chainstay length, on rollers that I'm accustomed to manualing, I had to adjust my body position a bit. Disregarding a few pedal strikes, as that's common on a new ride, I'd say the SJ EVO is just what I was after in a Midwest Enduro & DH race bike. After lurking on this forum for a few weeks, I've thrown on a Cascade link to avoid the harsh bottoms I was experiencing, and am still up in the air on how to protect the relatively vulnerable down tube area, I think I'll start with one of the mud / fox fork guards.

My general rule of thumb is Strava is fake news, but the amount of PR's I racked up on race day was surprising. But after riding into the top 33% in a huge, (159 racer entries) stacked field, the bike has me feeling pretty stoked. In two weeks I'll be heading down to Oaxaca, and frankly I'm a bit scared of the abuse it'll more than likely go through. FYI I swapped the wheels over to my DH wheelset to avoid a pesky flat while on vacation. Wish me luck!

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 18:15 Quote
I just returned from a week in Oaxaca on my '21 SJ Evo Expert and it was perfect for everything out there - and there is A LOT out there! It's worth considering some addition downtube protection for the trip... I didn't have any issues but I cringed every time a rock popped up.

TCarl11 wrote:

My general rule of thumb is Strava is fake news, but the amount of PR's I racked up on race day was surprising. But after riding into the top 33% in a huge, (159 racer entries) stacked field, the bike has me feeling pretty stoked. In two weeks I'll be heading down to Oaxaca, and frankly I'm a bit scared of the abuse it'll more than likely go through. FYI I swapped the wheels over to my DH wheelset to avoid a pesky flat while on vacation. Wish me luck!

Posted: Nov 24, 2021 at 19:32 Quote
riding-wild wrote:
I just returned from a week in Oaxaca on my '21 SJ Evo Expert and it was perfect for everything out there - and there is A LOT out there! It's worth considering some addition downtube protection for the trip... I didn't have any issues but I cringed every time a rock popped up.

TCarl11 wrote:

Is there some guided trip out there that you guys took and or are taking?

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 9:01 Quote
In regard to the OE bash guard not protecting as much on the 2021+ EVO, I decided to go with some Rug Pad. Its medium density, double layered it, fit like a glove! This should work just fine.

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 9:16 Quote
Simann wrote:
In regard to the OE bash guard not protecting as much on the 2021+ EVO, I decided to go with some Rug Pad. Its medium density, double layered it, fit like a glove! This should work just fine.

I covered the same area in Lizard Skins carbon leather, inside and outside. I had to glue the edges of the pad on the outside, but it has stayed. I have also applied another companies pad under, on the frame, not sure of name. I might pull that off as it pulls the OE bash guard away from frame…

Posted: Nov 27, 2021 at 18:49 Quote
First time poster here. Wanted to thank everyone for sharing their experience with their Stevos.

I am choosing between a c.f. and alum frame and a c.f. option sure looks appealing weight wise with 2 lbs of advantage over alum one is s4 size. It is upsetting to see people having issues with their bottom tubes. Interestingly I am not seeing people mentioning any other c.f. related parts failing like chainstays or structural issues due to actual loads while riding.. So the frame seems pretty strong apart from that notorious bottom tube thickness

Anyways kudos to everyone for posting here

P.

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 8:43 Quote
YPSTOLM wrote:
First time poster here. Wanted to thank everyone for sharing their experience with their Stevos.

I am choosing between a c.f. and alum frame and a c.f. option sure looks appealing weight wise with 2 lbs of advantage over alum one is s4 size. It is upsetting to see people having issues with their bottom tubes. Interestingly I am not seeing people mentioning any other c.f. related parts failing like chainstays or structural issues due to actual loads while riding.. So the frame seems pretty strong apart from that notorious bottom tube thickness

Anyways kudos to everyone for posting here

P.

I wouldn't worry about the down tube issue too much. Just find some adequate additional protection for the area and call it good.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 1:21 Quote
Morning all,

Trying to choose between a SJ Evo and Enduro, but leaning towards the SJ. I've trolled through all 77 pages, but cannot see sizing recommendations for someone of my short stature of 168cm\5ft 6". S2 or S3?

I currently ride a medium YT Jeffsy Pro Race 29er. On paper I'd probably be S2, but S3 is closer to my Jeffsy. I want a bike which will inspire more confidence on realy steep\rough\rooty trails. I may also consider converting to a mullet setup in the future if that changes things?

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 5:27 Quote
I’m 5’7”. Short legs and long torso. I have an SJ Evo S2. I love how playful the bike is for me. I have never ridden an S3 but would be interested in the longer reach. I currently love the fit of the S2. I have it set up high bb and middle setting head tube cup. I have never felt Unconfident on steep downs on this bike. That’s just me tho. If you have a chance ride both sizes. You’ll know the perfect fit
Mike

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 7:12 Quote
Do a quick RAAD measurement!

https://www.leelikesbikes.com/measuring-raad-on-a-bike.html

Height in CM x 2.5 for RAAD

Height in CM x 2.55 For RAAD plus (stability)

Height in CM x 2.45 for RAAD Minus (playful)

This gives you a range reaches.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 7:50 Quote
kookoos wrote:
I’m 5’7”. Short legs and long torso. I have an SJ Evo S2. I love how playful the bike is for me. I have never ridden an S3 but would be interested in the longer reach. I currently love the fit of the S2. I have it set up high bb and middle setting head tube cup. I have never felt Unconfident on steep downs on this bike. That’s just me tho. If you have a chance ride both sizes. You’ll know the perfect fit
Mike

Thanks for that Mike. I'm the opposite to you "long" legs, short torso. In my head, I guess a shorter reach helps get your weight back for the super steep stuff, but harder to weight up the front wheel at the same time?

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 8:10 Quote
A shorter reach would make it easier to weight the front end.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 8:17 Quote
Simann wrote:
A shorter reach would make it easier to weight the front end.

Ah ok, makes sense actually. So a win win then, other than perhaps straight line stability at higher speeds of the S3?

What's the biggest dropper you fit on an S2? I'd prefer 170mm to 150mm, especially if going mullet.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008510
Mobile Version of Website