close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Author Message
Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 9:18 Quote
Is that just rug pad underneath the existing bash guard?

thanks, seems like a good idea. Have you done this before with success?

Danhikeski wrote:
Simann wrote:
In regard to the OE bash guard not protecting as much on the 2021+ EVO, I decided to go with some Rug Pad. Its medium density, double layered it, fit like a glove! This should work just fine.


I covered the same area in Lizard Skins carbon leather, inside and outside. I had to glue the edges of the pad on the outside, but it has stayed. I have also applied another companies pad under, on the frame, not sure of name. I might pull that off as it pulls the OE bash guard away from frame…

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 11:24 Quote
I used Oaxaca Bike Expeditions - they were great and would do again. https://oaxacabikeexpeditions.com/

Eorios wrote:
riding-wild wrote:
I just returned from a week in Oaxaca on my '21 SJ Evo Expert and it was perfect for everything out there - and there is A LOT out there! It's worth considering some addition downtube protection for the trip... I didn't have any issues but I cringed every time a rock popped up.


TCarl11 wrote:

My general rule of thumb is Strava is fake news, but the amount of PR's I racked up on race day was surprising. But after riding into the top 33% in a huge, (159 racer entries) stacked field, the bike has me feeling pretty stoked. In two weeks I'll be heading down to Oaxaca, and frankly I'm a bit scared of the abuse it'll more than likely go through. FYI I swapped the wheels over to my DH wheelset to avoid a pesky flat while on vacation. Wish me luck!

Is there some guided trip out there that you guys took and or are taking?

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 12:25 Quote
christhebiker wrote:
Is that just rug pad underneath the existing bash guard?

thanks, seems like a good idea. Have you done this before with success?

Danhikeski wrote:
Simann wrote:
In regard to the OE bash guard not protecting as much on the 2021+ EVO, I decided to go with some Rug Pad. Its medium density, double layered it, fit like a glove! This should work just fine.


I covered the same area in Lizard Skins carbon leather, inside and outside. I had to glue the edges of the pad on the outside, but it has stayed. I have also applied another companies pad under, on the frame, not sure of name. I might pull that off as it pulls the OE bash guard away from frame…

Just for my understanding as a potential buyer, did the earlier Evo's not have a bash guard hence the fatal rock strikes, or is it a case that the bash guard isn't long enough and still leaves vulnerable areas exposed?

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 12:28 Quote
They cracked through the original bash guard. Hence everyone adding extra padding beneath.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 13:36 Quote
Simann wrote:
A shorter reach would make it easier to weight the front end.

Isn't it the opposite? Longer reach causes you to lean more forward, putting more of your weight towards the front. Shorter reach puts you more upright and weight further back?

Either way, the Evo seems to have a ton of front end grip, even with the stock 2.3" wide Butcher T9 up front.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 13:40 Quote
Hi all.
I apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong topic
I'm looking for a front triangle from a Stumpy EVO 29" size S2 2019-2020 MY. My triangle has defects that are not covered under warranty. Does anyone have any options? Alu or carbon.
Maybe you have some contacts?

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 16:26 Quote
DammitMike wrote:
Simann wrote:
A shorter reach would make it easier to weight the front end.

Isn't it the opposite? Longer reach causes you to lean more forward, putting more of your weight towards the front. Shorter reach puts you more upright and weight further back?

Either way, the Evo seems to have a ton of front end grip, even with the stock 2.3" wide Butcher T9 up front.

No, longer reach is a byproduct of slacker head tube angles. A longer reach typically comes with a longer wheel base; pair that with a slack head tube angle and you increase high speed stability with the sacrifice of low speed maneuverability. The slacker head tube angle requires more weight over the front end for the tire to hook up.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 4:33 Quote
Simann wrote:
DammitMike wrote:
Simann wrote:
A shorter reach would make it easier to weight the front end.

Isn't it the opposite? Longer reach causes you to lean more forward, putting more of your weight towards the front. Shorter reach puts you more upright and weight further back?

Either way, the Evo seems to have a ton of front end grip, even with the stock 2.3" wide Butcher T9 up front.

No, longer reach is a byproduct of slacker head tube angles. A longer reach typically comes with a longer wheel base; pair that with a slack head tube angle and you increase high speed stability with the sacrifice of low speed maneuverability. The slacker head tube angle requires more weight over the front end for the tire to hook up.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your point here, but a longer reach isn’t a product of a slacker head tube angle. If anything, the opposite is true.

Reach is just a measure of the horizontal distance between the center of the bb and center of the head tube. You can change the angle of the head tube without changing that distance. If you decrease head tube angle by increasing fork length (say by increasing travel or going to a fork with a long axle to crown height) or by dropping the back of the bike (i.e., a mullet setup or the Evo’s Horst flip chip) the result is a shorter reach, not longer. A headcup system like the Evo’s doesn’t do that, but running the slacker setting has the effect of decreasing the reach because the angle of the steerer tube brings the stem/bar closer to the vertical line running through the center of the bottom bracket.

All other things being equal then, slackening the head tube angle decreases reach while increasing wheelbase by lengthening the front center. It’s that last bit — lengthening the font center — that causes an issue with properly weighting the front wheel. That can be mitigated, however, if you also lengthen the chain stays, which has the effect of shifting the center of mass forward. It’s the ratio between rear and front center that really determines how much you need to consciously weight the front wheel. That’s one of the things that makes the Evo so damn cool: the longer rear center keeps the bike balanced despite the slack head tube.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 5:15 Quote
TLDR man LOL

Geometry is a little give and take. Compromises are made, requiring riding style changes.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 5:30 Quote
Simann wrote:
TLDR man LOL

Geometry is a little give and take. Compromises are made, requiring riding style changes.

Fair enough. And yep, agreed.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 6:33 Quote
hey stevo pinkers, wondering if anyone else has had this issue...

I set up my shock with specialized's recommended settings, and with a little knob fiddling got it feeling pretty okay on my lame home trails. Took her out on some miles-long rock gardens and the shock felt like it was filled with poop - mushy, hanging up on everything, not getting out of the way. Was looking at it with my mechanic buddy and we actually measured the sag and let 60# of air out, wayyy below recommended settings. this didn't even get me down to 30% sag, but closer, but the shock pressure was getting weirdly low so ended up around 25% sag. This unsurprisingly improved the ride on rocky trails quite a bit but makes me wonder if something's off.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 7:14 Quote
[Quote="Eorios"]
riding-wild wrote:
I just returned from a week in Oaxaca on my '21 SJ Evo Expert and it was perfect for everything out there - and there is A LOT out there! It's worth considering some addition downtube protection for the trip... I didn't have any issues but I cringed every time a rock popped up.

Is there some guided trip out there that you guys took and or are taking?

I had a group of 5 so, I hit up Oaxaca Bike Expeditions, the same guide service that Yoann Barelli was just down there with, and they've got us set up in our own group. 1 week away!

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 7:21 Quote
olngjnsn wrote:
hey stevo pinkers, wondering if anyone else has had this issue...

I set up my shock with specialized's recommended settings, and with a little knob fiddling got it feeling pretty okay on my lame home trails. Took her out on some miles-long rock gardens and the shock felt like it was filled with poop - mushy, hanging up on everything, not getting out of the way. Was looking at it with my mechanic buddy and we actually measured the sag and let 60# of air out, wayyy below recommended settings. this didn't even get me down to 30% sag, but closer, but the shock pressure was getting weirdly low so ended up around 25% sag. This unsurprisingly improved the ride on rocky trails quite a bit but makes me wonder if something's off.

Are you compressing the shock 3-4 times as you fill your shock with air? For example, if your desired PSI is 200, pump the shock from 0-50, compress the shock a couple times, 50-100 bounce on it again, 100-150 same thing, and 150-200 repeat for good measure.

check this website for reference https://bikeco.com/rear-shock-negative-air-pressure/

From your description, it sounds like your positive / negative air chambers weren't balanced?

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 7:23 Quote
Bombenkrater wrote:
Hi all.
I apologize in advance if I'm in the wrong topic
I'm looking for a front triangle from a Stumpy EVO 29" size S2 2019-2020 MY. My triangle has defects that are not covered under warranty. Does anyone have any options? Alu or carbon.
Maybe you have some contacts?

Where are you located? There are plenty of reputable carbon repair places, mine was repaired and reinforced by Montenegro manufacturing. It's like it never happened.
My S2 frameset will be for sale soon as I agreed to purchase the crash replacement frameset that I should receive within the next few weeks.

Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 9:11 Quote
olngjnsn wrote:
hey stevo pinkers, wondering if anyone else has had this issue...

I set up my shock with specialized's recommended settings, and with a little knob fiddling got it feeling pretty okay on my lame home trails. Took her out on some miles-long rock gardens and the shock felt like it was filled with poop - mushy, hanging up on everything, not getting out of the way. Was looking at it with my mechanic buddy and we actually measured the sag and let 60# of air out, wayyy below recommended settings. this didn't even get me down to 30% sag, but closer, but the shock pressure was getting weirdly low so ended up around 25% sag. This unsurprisingly improved the ride on rocky trails quite a bit but makes me wonder if something's off.

I found Specialized’s recommended psi waaayyy too high also. The calculator recommended 265 psi for me, but I’m getting ~28% sag at 210. I just assumed my pump is off.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007261
Mobile Version of Website