21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 10:45 Quote
riding-wild wrote:
I just returned from a week in Oaxaca on my '21 SJ Evo Expert and it was perfect for everything out there - and there is A LOT out there! It's worth considering some addition downtube protection for the trip... I didn't have any issues but I cringed every time a rock popped up.

As cringe as it is, I'm considering zip tying an old tire onto my downtube, as a temporary solution for next week's trip.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 10:48 Quote
jbess001 wrote:
I found Specialized’s recommended psi waaayyy too high also. The calculator recommended 265 psi for me, but I’m getting ~28% sag at 210. I just assumed my pump is off.

That's funny, I had the opposite experience, being that Spesh's online calculator was way too soft.

Also had the same assumption, that my shock is off as well, Lol

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 10:58 Quote
TCarl11 wrote:
jbess001 wrote:
I found Specialized’s recommended psi waaayyy too high also. The calculator recommended 265 psi for me, but I’m getting ~28% sag at 210. I just assumed my pump is off.

That's funny, I had the opposite experience, being that Spesh's online calculator was way too soft.

Also had the same assumption, that my shock is off as well, Lol

I tried Spesh guide, then i tried the Fox guide for pressure.
Liked the settings with the spesh guide best. Found the fox numbers too plush

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 19:35 Quote
2022 Stumpy EVO Expert Fox 38 Ohlins TTX Air2
First ride with the Ohlins Shock

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 5:15 Quote
@Robs-Primal-Life: very nice! is that the TTX air 2? how does it feel? you running the Cascade link? thanks

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
olngjnsn wrote:
@Robs-Primal-Life: very nice! is that the TTX air 2? how does it feel? you running the Cascade link? thanks
Thanks, it is TTX air2, it's not set up 100% yet but small bump sensitivity is significantly better than the float X and with that traction improved, it's a lot more active than the fox. I feel like the Fox is over dampened to increase the pedal platform. The TTX has 3 compression settings on the lever, in the medium setting, it still feels plusher than the FOX.
I run the Specialized Mullet Link.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 11:03 Quote
Anyone have bb height issues even in high setting? 35 drop seems pretty dang low for a 150 travel bike. I’m not sure I can go shorter than 170 cranks…

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 12:03 Quote
dresendsit wrote:
Anyone have bb height issues even in high setting? 35 drop seems pretty dang low for a 150 travel bike. I’m not sure I can go shorter than 170 cranks…

I'm in the low setting and not having any issues.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 12:45 Quote
Same, was on high, but have switched to low and really enjoy it, even on very rocky trails. I do run 180mm cranks on my single speed hard tail though, so pedal strikes are nothing new.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 16:33 Quote
dresendsit wrote:

It is a lot of drop. I've absolutely cranked my pedals on things. I also broke my toe when I smoked a root because my BB area was so low during a large compression.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 16:41 Quote
On an aggressive trail bike like the EVO I run 165's. On anything else, 170's. But make sure your sag is correct, running too little sag or not enough compression will make you wallow in its travel.

I'm willing to bet money that a large number of people are setting their SJ EVO's too plush, wanting a bike they can plow through stuff. But that's not how this bike is intended to be ridden. Get an Enduro if you want to plow. Get a SJ EVO if you want more pop and agility.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 19:48 Quote
Simann wrote:
On an aggressive trail bike like the EVO I run 165's. On anything else, 170's. But make sure your sag is correct, running too little sag or not enough compression will make you wallow in its travel.

I'm willing to bet money that a large number of people are setting their SJ EVO's too plush, wanting a bike they can plow through stuff. But that's not how this bike is intended to be ridden. Get an Enduro if you want to plow. Get a SJ EVO if you want more pop and agility.

THIS...

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 21:14 Quote
Simann wrote:

Absolutely. I run Canfield pedals and the Cascade link which both help, but I do run right around 25% sag. I started out way too plush, but have tightened it up and it really helps.

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 8:14 Quote
Jedimtnbiker wrote:
Simann wrote:

THIS...

My thoughts exactly reading through this thread.

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 21:00 Quote
Simann wrote:

I have both, a ‘21 Evo S4 and ‘21 Enduro S5. I run 170’s on both. I broke my left pinky toe while passing by a large rock. Just clipped it, the Evo(slack and low-in bike park) was just the right height to touch the rock. 165’s wouldn’t have mattered, the crankarms were parallel to the ground. But you’re absolutely right, the enduro smashes everything I point it at, and the Evo is so nimble and fun to throw around.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021973
Mobile Version of Website