21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 17:13 Quote
Curious if anyone has been between sizes, and tested back to back?

I ordered an S4, which seems to be pretty much equivalent (with more stack) to my previous Ripley in a L. However, after getting the frame in and reading more on here, I’m wondering if I should size down to an S3 while I’m still in the return window.

5’9” 175lbs, average build/size, general trail/enduro rides in the PNW, with a light enduro race or two per year.. More into the technical single track then flowy/jump/park style riding. My Ibis felt fine, as I liked the feeling of “in” the bike vs. “on” it but was running a 40mm stem slammed and 15mm rise bars.

The extra stack of the EVO makes me worried It’ll be a boat for my size due to more upright position.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 17:51 Quote
Cantle406 wrote:

I ordered an S4, which seems to be pretty much equivalent (with more stack) to my previous Ripley in a L. However, after getting the frame in and reading more on here, I’m wondering if I should size down to an S3 while I’m still in the return window.

5’9” 175lbs, average build/size, general trail/enduro rides in the PNW, with a light enduro race or two per year.. More into the technical single track then flowy/jump/park style riding. My Ibis felt fine, as I liked the feeling of “in” the bike vs. “on” it but was running a 40mm stem slammed and 15mm rise bars.

The extra stack of the EVO makes me worried It’ll be a boat for my size due to more upright position.

My opinion; size down to an S3.

Your large Ripley's wheelbase is a whopping 40 mm (1.6 inches) shorter than the S4 EVO. If stability is what you are after, the S4 may be the ticket. But even if you throw a 35mm stem on the EVO it will definitely feel like a bigger bike, especially on slower, technical single track.

I'm 6'1'' and the S4 is perfect. No way I would suggest a 5'9" rider to run an S4.

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 18:19 Quote
Simann wrote:
Cantle406 wrote:

My opinion; size down to an S3.

Your large Ripley's wheelbase is a whopping 40 mm (1.6 inches) shorter than the S4 EVO. If stability is what you are after, the S4 may be the ticket. But even if you throw a 35mm stem on the EVO it will definitely feel like a bigger bike, especially on slower, technical single track.

I'm 6'1'' and the S4 is perfect. No way would suggest a 5'9" rider to run an S4.
I agree. I spent a month on an S3 before I got my S4 and I’m 6’1” as well. I was coming off of a large gen 3 Santa Cruz nomad and the S3 still felt decently big. It was smaller than I wanted, but would probably be perfect for you.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 18:48 Quote
thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. My head is leaning that way too… Seeing an S4 in the shop built up I was quite surprised at how big it felt. I’m going to go back and see if I can take the shop bike around for a sanity check, but right now I’m leaning S3

I’m hoping Specialized honors the return.. I’m within the 30-day window but my box/packaging got a bit messed up when I first took it out.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 21:48 Quote
I tested an S4, then an S3 back to back within 4 hours. I'm 5'10". I would go with the S3 personally. I didn't end up getting the Stumpjumper EVO- instead I found a used 2021 Slash in M/L. That size is right between the S3 and S4. That said, I think the S3 would be my choice for the Stumpy EVO, and the Enduro. The S4 is ridable, but it feels big to me. Good luck.
Cantle406 wrote:

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 22:58 Quote
jorukfundan wrote:
I tested an S4, then an S3 back to back within 4 hours. I'm 5'10". I would go with the S3 personally. I didn't end up getting the Stumpjumper EVO- instead I found a used 2021 Slash in M/L. That size is right between the S3 and S4. That said, I think the S3 would be my choice for the Stumpy EVO, and the Enduro. The S4 is ridable, but it feels big to me. Good luck.
Cantle406 wrote:

Interesting - did you just prefer the overall dimensions of it being smaller or something specific in the handling? Race day I imagine I would dig the S4, but all other days the S3. It’s also interesting to me how Specialized puts the bottom end of a S4 at 5’8”, given the collective feedback of this thread.

Thanks for the feedback too, really helpful.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 9:35 Quote
Cantle406 wrote:
jorukfundan wrote:
Cantle406 wrote:

Interesting - did you just prefer the overall dimensions of it being smaller or something specific in the handling? Race day I imagine I would dig the S4, but all other days the S3. It’s also interesting to me how Specialized puts the bottom end of a S4 at 5’8”, given the collective feedback of this thread.

Thanks for the feedback too, really helpful.
It has been a minute since I tested those two bikes. I rode those bikes on a really rough course and I didn't have the shocks set up perfectly so at the time I was thinking "why even buy a new bike, it doesn't ride much better than my current bike!" You know, because bikes cost $5000 an up. I had ridden a medium 2015 Enduro for a number of years. It always felt too small for me. When I tried the S4 Enduro, and Stumpjumper EVO, they felt too big overall. Less so for the EVO. I think race day the big bike would be a monster truck and win. But I don't do race day. I was looking at Yeti SB150 as well- it has a 460 reach in medium. I read that Richie Rude rides a medium and he's 6 feet. Enduro MTB website tested some bikes a while bike and found that the smaller bikes actually were faster overall on race day- I can't remember the article. I'm a little disappointed with Specialized bikes at the moment how there is such a big difference between S3 and S4 (448-475). It seems that if I am the average height of a male at 70", that should be a frame size. But I am frequently right in the middle. I am impressed that with the Trek M/L I never say that it is too small or too long. I think for me it is the ideal size. I kind of think my desired reach is 460-465mm. There is more to fit than simply a reach size, but that's what I like. Also, consider the dropper length you want. Specialized has short seat tubes, but they spec a 150mm on the S3 and a 170 on the S4. You could probably go longer on an S3, depending on your saddle height. If you are in Santa Cruz CA at the Specialized Experience center you can test these bikes. So much to consider. I still like the Stumpy EVO. It's got baller storage. I might have ended up on one had I not found a used Trek for less.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
Cantle406 wrote:

Glad to hear that you sized down. The Evo is a big feeling bike and I think you would lose a lot of the playfulness on an S4. I have an S4 at 6' tall wish I had an S3 at times...

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 10:41 Quote
This is when it would be so nice to be able to test ride numerous sizes. I took a gamble on the S5 being just a bit over 6’1” and I’m super happy with it. Had a chance to ride an S4 recently and I would have sold it if I’d gone with that size. Still would have been nice to be able to test both, silly market.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 11:58 Quote
bentin wrote:
This is when it would be so nice to be able to test ride numerous sizes. I took a gamble on the S5 being just a bit over 6’1” and I’m super happy with it. Had a chance to ride an S4 recently and I would have sold it if I’d gone with that size. Still would have been nice to be able to test both, silly market.

I'm 6.1 tall (with long legs) and I have a SJ EVO S5 but I tried a S4 and I had more fun and at the momento I'm full of doubts......

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 13:18 Quote
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I was stoked to see an S3 Alloy frame available from Fanatik, so went ahead and got it on order. Seems to have come full circle since I bought most of my other build components from them.

I’ll report back once I get it all built up.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 14:50 Quote
Cantle406 wrote:

Im 5'9" and riding Ripmo V2 in L. Previously I rode Tallboy in L. I tested both S3 and S4 Stumpy EVO and definitely S4 for me. I was not able to put myself over S3, felt really like riding tiny bike. Reach on S4 was perfect for me, wheelbase could be shorter (and I normally like long one) but it was the stack height I did not like, however I can imagine tweaking the cockpit to get it to some OK point.

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 15:56 Quote
I'm 6' 1" and I feel the S4 to be plenty big. Definitely would not want an S5. It rips turns.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 3:42 Quote
i made the mistake of a s5 at 6FT - wouldnt go back to a xl/s5 again!

now that modern geometry is getting upto speed (extra reach etc) an s4 now is the equivalent of most XL frames from less than 5 years ago

plenty plenty big enough for anyone 6ft a s4 spesh, its so much more fun easier to manouvre and dont just feel like a passenger on it

for me ill never have a xl/s5 ever again

O+
Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 3:51 Quote
For some additional context, a S5 felt great to me at 6'2".

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.045010
Mobile Version of Website