21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Dec 9, 2021 at 19:26 Quote
Simann wrote:
chunter wrote:
Also, I’m assuming the yoke would be longer in length to accommodate for the smaller wheel, so more side loading of the shock as well.

I don't know about the length, but the 2021+ EVO's and Stumpjumpers have a yoke that is now clocked at the lower shock mount location to reduce side loading.

But fox is still saying no to coils on the 21 evo?

Posted: Dec 9, 2021 at 19:51 Quote
Simann wrote:
chunter wrote:
Also, I’m assuming the yoke would be longer in length to accommodate for the smaller wheel, so more side loading of the shock as well.

I don't know about the length, but the 2021+ EVO's and Stumpjumpers have a yoke that is now clocked at the lower shock mount location to reduce side loading.

That has nothing to do with side loading, it’s clocked so you can access the bolt easier. The length makes the yoke less stiff, so that flex is sent to the shock

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 4:07 Quote
They wouldn't go through new iterations of a yoke just for bolt access...

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 12:26 Quote
Simann wrote:

The yoke hasn’t been redesigned since the new Evo has been released, that’s why spesh pulled the super deluxe coil off of the limited

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 12:50 Quote
chunter wrote:
Simann wrote:

The yoke hasn’t been redesigned since the new Evo has been released, that’s why spesh pulled the super deluxe coil off of the limited

But it has been redesigned from the 2020 and earlier setup, which is where most of the damage to coil shocks was coming from. I know there's still shaft damage occurring to the 2021 and up bikes, but the change in the yoke to cover both sides of the pivot does make it less prone to side loading the shock. Of course the stupid shock is still offset/assymetric, so nothing is truly going to fix that.

Old setup with the yoke entirely inboard of the linkage:

Newer setup where the yoke is split around the linkage (same as the WRP yoke):

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 15:01 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
Simann wrote:
chunter wrote:

I believe the new DHX is the only Fox approved coil shock for the Evo, it has a thicker shaft (ha) than the DHX2 so it should withstand side loading better

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 15:57 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:
Simann wrote:

I believe the new DHX is the only Fox approved coil shock for the Evo, it has a thicker shaft (ha) than the DHX2 so it should withstand side loading better

Source? Only asking as I hope it true!

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 16:36 Quote
I thought that the DVO Jade X was approved too.

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 18:10 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:

I recall reading it on some forum or somewhere but I'd contact Fox to confirm. I've noticed Fox employees and sponsored riders using the DHX on the Evo and Levo

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 18:11 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:

I believe it is, we were talking about Fox

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 18:39 Quote
noplacelikeloam wrote:
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:

And the DHX has much stronger seal head than the DHX2!

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 21:45 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
whitebirdfeathers wrote:

I believe it is, we were talking about Fox

Ah… I thought you were looking for a coil option.

Posted: Dec 11, 2021 at 12:34 Quote
Figured I would post my conclusion of sizing for people in between in the hopes that it helps someone reading through…. Due to my insane OCD I had to ride both back-to-back, and found a couple at a shop an hour away. Wasn’t able to get out on proper singletrack, as it’s December in the PNW, but I was able to take a couple quick laps on a snoozer dirt trail with a couple berms and couple little doubles.

My stats: 69.75” (after a more accurate measurement technique), and a wingspan that is about 2" longer than height.

1. S3: Definitely felt easy to handle, shorter, more pop, etc. All the things you’ve read in the last 80 or say pages of this discussing sizing. The bike felt like it would require a bit less work to muscle around. One thing I did note was the smaller cockpit, probably due to me being used to riding a longer reach frame and having a bit longer wingspan vs. my height. Felt pretty knees to bars when pedaling.

2. S4: Notable more familiar pedaling position, felt like I would prefer this on 2+ hour rides with a significant amount of climbing. Also notably longer (as other people pointed out), so felt like more of a freight train at first, but after 15 minutes of pumping it around and such, I semi-forgot about it.

My conclusion is that the specialized chart is right (surprise), and each can be tunable to a rider on the line without crisis. Like like others have mentioned, inseam can be a bit of a misleading measurement. I've never really thought of myself as having short legs/long reach, but it somewhat explains why larger reach frames always felt good to me.

My 0.02, hopefully it is helpful.

Posted: Dec 13, 2021 at 8:12 Quote
Just wanted to stop in and say I’m LOVING my stevo. I haven’t gotten to play with the different geo settings yet, but I think this is the perfect bike for my style riding.

Posted: Dec 13, 2021 at 11:57 Quote
lyzyrdskydr wrote:
noplacelikeloam wrote:
Simann wrote:

EVO Yoke
EVO Yoke
I was curious about this and took a picture of the yoke on my 2022 EVO expert.
The difference in the split of the yoke in your pictures is carbon vs AL not by year I think, I could be wrong.
Now I'm wondering if the SWorks yoke is stiffer?
P.S. I missed the yoke split at the pivot point, I get your point now.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007458
Mobile Version of Website