21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2022 at 12:10 Quote
kjbn wrote:
Do you guys see any concern with getting a Float X that’s a take off from another bike?

Someone I know if selling one from his Orbea Rise and was wondering if the fact it’s custom tune for that bike could Impact negatively performances..

TBH it would probably be pretty good if not better for a lot of riders with a medium tune over the stock "light" compression tune

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 0:10 Quote
ndelic wrote:
Eorios wrote:
Awesome thanks for those. I thought it was more of a purple than that. Did you use a gloss wrap on it?

No, no purple whatsoever...actually when lighting is dim is basically looks black!

Yes, went with gloss (first two pics are obviously without foil), I did the same on my 2021 Diverge Expert and it turns out quite a nice play to have both matte and gloss on the bike.
With the gloss foil when the lighting is dim you still get to see the color of the bike, vs just basically dull blackish as I mentioned.

The fork is wrapped also.

cmarwood wrote:
Was looking for some pics of this color as I have one on the way for replacement. You got any more pics of the whole bike?

I didn't want to post it yet, as it's just a quick phone pic, and I plan to do a professional shoot of both this one and Diverge, but bah here you go! Smile
This is pre-final assembly, hoses were re-done and it also has a chainguard now.

photo

Dang the build looks awesome.

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 0:50 Quote
kjbn wrote:
Simann wrote:
Yes, the new SJ evo Float X has an RX tune. I would email Ethan at Dirt Merchant or William at Trail Labs on here about it. They may be able to re valve the shock to match the Rx tune.

Ethan: "it would need to be sent to Fox, roughy $130 for a retune and rebuild. That said, the tunes are pretty generic and will likely work fine.."

So yes probably fine to just get that shock and play with it to replicate it as I wouldn't pay $130 for a brand new shock to be retuned by Fox ha.

Just try your luck. But air, adjustments and tokens alone do not make it the same.

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 4:09 Quote
I switched from 2021enduro and he's great
photo

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 5:06 Quote
britneyid8 wrote:
photo

Purple is a new black Big Grin

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 5:51 Quote
mcharza wrote:
britneyid8 wrote:
photo

Purple is a new black Big Grin
He's just my new sticker, but I think bright silver looks better

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 6:03 Quote
Whats your impression of pluses and minuses between the Enduro and the new SJ Evo?

To me, the new SJ Evo feels like the previous generation Enduro (X wing frame) with updated geometry. But I have not ridden the new Enduro.

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 13:41 Quote
Simann wrote:
Whats your impression of pluses and minuses between the Enduro and the new SJ Evo?

To me, the new SJ Evo feels like the previous generation Enduro (X wing frame) with updated geometry. But I have not ridden the new Enduro.

I’ve got both. ‘21 Evo S4 and ‘20 Enduro S5. I like both a lot. But the enduro smashes trails, and big hits. The Evo is more fun in the sense it’s easy to throw around. The enduro is fun in terms of blistering speed.

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 23:40 Quote
Recently finished up my S-Works Stumpy Evo build!

Fun little montage edit here:
(Build specs in description)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CYVvdtfMr1b/?utm_medium=copy_link

photo

Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 0:53 Quote
Eorios wrote:
Dang the build looks awesome.

Thanks! Big Grin

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 5:24 Quote
Anyone ridden the Williams Racing Yoke for the StEvo mullet setup?

Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 11:30 Quote
Funny you should ask, I've got one strapped to my bike at the moment. But haven't ridden it yet. I've got the original one (he modified it almost immediately to fit the 2022 shocks), the problem is the fitment with my X2 just isn't right. The shock being the other way round, ie can to the rear, means the mounting hardware is thicker, so the x2 wouldn't fit, I couldn't get the eyelets to line-up, that is initially. It was only the tiny corner of the yoke that was pressing on the shock eyelet mount, so I've had a file on it to just smooth the edge. It now fits. Just. I want to remove a bit more material before I abuse it, or replace it with the newer version as I think the yoke may still touch on one side causing some uneven side loading.
I reached out to Mic over a week ago both on Instagram and email to get some advice, but awkwardly he still hasn't replied. I'm UK based and the import fees cost me a fortune, so I'd really like the support. I've also coincidentally got relatives flying to Oz this weekend so have offered to get it back to him that way for him to machine it properly for me if he can get hold of an X2 to have a look at with it. I think the product looks great and I really want to support this sort of business but unfortunately at the moment I'm stuck.
Bottom line is, no I haven't ridden it and if it's going with an X2 I'd hold off until someone with an X2 gets a resolution.

O+
Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 11:46 Quote
Hmmm. That’s a bummer for you. I hope you get it sorted.

I have the ‘21 with the stock DPX2. Went up to the 0.86 spacer ( and have only now found out that the 0.6 is the maximum recommended ). Fine in 29/29 mode but bottoms out harshly on bigger drops as 29/27.5. Otherwise really like the mullet feel. Pretty annoyed that specialized sell a link that creates this problem… I can’t imagine too many people who go to the trouble and expense of mullet conversion aren’t going off bigger stuff. Having now spent all the money on 27.5 wheel, tire and insert I think the WRP yoke is a must and the Spesh link will go on eBay ‍

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 4:21 Quote
OK, further issues with the X2 and WRP link. The air can on the X2 also impacts the frame at full extension, luckily I noticed before I rode it, but it's still marked the frame a little.

I've sent about 4 emails with no reply now.

If anyone in the UK is interested in swapping a Fox performance X2 for a DPX2, send me a DM!

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 6:23 Quote
The X2 was a snug fit on the previous SJ Evo (2019-2020) and on the S2 carbon pro, I believe it impacted the frame strut like you are experiencing.

All to say, I think the X2 should not be recommended for this frame unless you are on an S5 or S6. I would suggest the Super Deluxe Ultimate with MegNeg air can. I ran one on my 2020 SJ Evo and it felt incredibly supportive and still poppy, a lot like the X2's i've ran on past bikes. Although I have all Fox suspension on my new S works SJ Evo, I'm probably going to go back to Rock Shox (Zeb + SDU w/MegNeg) as I really like the feel and ease of tunability. I'm keeping the Fox stuff on my Epic Evo.

Have you tried the new Float X?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.050252
Mobile Version of Website