21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 7:41 Quote
Simann wrote:
The X2 was a snug fit on the previous SJ Evo (2019-2020) and on the S2 carbon pro, I believe it impacted the frame strut like you are experiencing.

All to say, I think the X2 should not be recommended for this frame unless you are on an S5 or S6. I would suggest the Super Deluxe Ultimate with MegNeg air can. I ran one on my 2020 SJ Evo and it felt incredibly supportive and still poppy, a lot like the X2's i've ran on past bikes. Although I have all Fox suspension on my new S works SJ Evo, I'm probably going to go back to Rock Shox (Zeb + SDU w/MegNeg) as I really like the feel and ease of tunability. I'm keeping the Fox stuff on my Epic Evo.

Have you tried the new Float X?

Just to clarify, I was already running the X2 on an S3 set up as a mullet with the Soec link fine. Went for the WRP link as I wanted more progression. Thanks for the advice on the super deluxe with Meg-neg, if I hadn't just put ~£450 into the WRP yoke I'd have been keen! Looking at it, does it increase the diameter of the negative chamber at all or just the length of it. I wouldn't want to run into the same issue!

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 8:02 Quote
daveg75 wrote:

Just to clarify, I was already running the X2 on an S3 set up as a mullet with the Soec link fine. Went for the WRP link as I wanted more progression. Thanks for the advice on the super deluxe with Meg-neg, if I hadn't just put ~£450 into the WRP yoke I'd have been keen! Looking at it, does it increase the diameter of the negative chamber at all or just the length of it. I wouldn't want to run into the same issue!

The MegNeg increases the overall negative air chamber capacity by 111.0%. But either way, it will fit just fine. The X2 has a massive air can compared to a SDU with MegNeg.

The issue I had with the MegNeg was having to add the additional air pressure to get proper sag. At 215 lbs rider weight I was literally at the limit of the air can (I think around 285 psi with MegNeg, on a regular SDU can I was around 225-235 psi. ....Nothing like having an air-grenade strapped between your legs LMAO.

But it rode surprisingly well. The midstroke support was the number one thing I noticed off the bat, and especially on the FSR 4 bar linkage which tends to blow through travel and wallow in its midstroke, the MegNeg was awesome. It definitely offered the bottom out resistance that you need with FSR 4 bar linkage.

The Cascade link also improved the progression in the travel, but when I was using that link I was on a coil so I have no experience running the larger MegNeg can with a progressive link. I assume I could have dialed back some pressure and lost a volume reducer with those together.

Either way, good luck on the issue, not great to have to hack at a new part and have zero customer service.

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 9:42 Quote
Anyone have an idea of where I might be able to scoop up replacement headset cups? Snagged a used frame and the lower cup went MIA en route; local shop told me it would be ~March until Spesh was able to get them in.

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 10:59 Quote
Simann wrote:
The X2 was a snug fit on the previous SJ Evo (2019-2020) and on the S2 carbon pro, I believe it impacted the frame strut like you are experiencing.

All to say, I think the X2 should not be recommended for this frame unless you are on an S5 or S6. I would suggest the Super Deluxe Ultimate with MegNeg air can. I ran one on my 2020 SJ Evo and it felt incredibly supportive and still poppy, a lot like the X2's i've ran on past bikes. Although I have all Fox suspension on my new S works SJ Evo, I'm probably going to go back to Rock Shox (Zeb + SDU w/MegNeg) as I really like the feel and ease of tunability. I'm keeping the Fox stuff on my Epic Evo.

What setup do you ride with the Megneg?

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 11:44 Quote
freerideandi wrote:
Simann wrote:

What setup do you ride with the Megneg?

Setup?

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 12:30 Quote
Yes how many negative bands and positiv spacer?

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 13:32 Quote
freerideandi wrote:
Yes how many negative bands and positiv spacer?

Shit man, I have zero memory. It was over a year ago. lol

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 21:40 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
kjbn wrote:
Do you guys see any concern with getting a Float X that’s a take off from another bike?

Someone I know if selling one from his Orbea Rise and was wondering if the fact it’s custom tune for that bike could Impact negatively performances..

TBH it would probably be pretty good if not better for a lot of riders with a medium tune over the stock "light" compression tune

Yes there are couple of other differences outside of the medium rebound/compression such as spacer but not sure how it would impact the riding..

Stumpy EVO Float X tune:
2022, FLOAT X, F-S, K, 210, 55, 0.2 Spacer, CL, RF, Rezi LF

Orbea Rise Float X tune:
2022, FLOAT X, F-S, K, 2pos-Adj, Evol LV, 210, 55, 0.6 Spacer, CM, RM, Rezi LMB1

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 7:13 Quote
The off the shelf Float X Factory from Fox comes with a .4 spacer installed and rides great on my Evo, that's also with the added progression of the Cascade link. A .2 spacer from the Spec spec sounds terrible on a stock bike. Confused

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 9:37 Quote
Float X with stock link and 0.4 volume spacer wasn't bad....but the same setup is so much better with the cascade link and about 20 more psi. Beer

I'd say an off the shelf Float X would be better in regards to climb switch as well. The RX tune Specialized version is too firm for most trail use. Rezi LM would be better.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 11:45 Quote
bikebasher wrote:
Float X with stock link and 0.4 volume spacer wasn't bad....but the same setup is so much better with the cascade link and about 20 more psi. Beer

I'd say an off the shelf Float X would be better in regards to climb switch as well. The RX tune Specialized version is too firm for most trail use. Rezi LM would be better.

I'm with you on the "too firm" statement I did not like the RX tuned Float X even with low speed open all the way it felt harsh.
I went with the Ohlin TTX Air 2 and the difference is night and day.

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 13:00 Quote
I would expect the tune to be a little firmer to keep the Stumpjumper EVO's sporty nature. A lighter tune would give you a plush ride like an Enduro with less travel.....

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 14:38 Quote
I agree the stock Performance Float X feels a bit over damped, and that's with the CL tune. So I wouldn't recommend picking up an aftermarket Float X with a CM tune.

I'm generally not a proponent of Cascade links, but in this case I think the stock Float X would work well with it. On my old SJ the CC link cranked up the LR so much that it made the stock DPX2 feel underdamped, so I'd imagine it would pair nicely with the new Evo's Float X.

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 19:12 Quote
Does anyone know what the max size of rim can fit on the EVO? I have a new wheelset being built up that has a 35mm internal and 42mm outer?

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 19:25 Quote
thechasewessss wrote:
Does anyone know what the max size of rim can fit on the EVO? I have a new wheelset being built up that has a 35mm internal and 42mm outer?
I have wheels that are 34mm inner and 40mm outer with maxxis 2.5’s and they fit perfectly fine. I imagine you’d be good? Not sure if anyone else has a more specific answer

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011084
Mobile Version of Website