21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Author Message
Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 12:40 Quote
kjbn wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys, it actually does make sense so I'm likely going to keep my 2.5" front / 2.4" rear set up and add inserts.

Is there any cons running those on wider rims if I get a RaceFace R36 wheelset (36mm internal width) instead of my current Roval Traverse 29 (30mm internal width)?

Asking as the RF has some sweet Vault 424 hubs over the DT350 I'm running but I'm not sure if a 2.4" rear tire on a 36mm int / 43mm ext) is ideal as it's the limit when looking at the specs on their website (fits 2.4"-2.8" tires)

2.5 and 2.4 will fit on a 36mm id rim fine, but it will result in a very square tire profile. Personally I like a more rounded profile as I feel it makes the tire more predictable when leaned over, and as said above a rounder profile also means better rim protection from the tire (probably irrelevant with inserts). That said if you're after maximum straightline braking/pedaling traction and better support at low pressure you may prefer the squarer profile.

Cornering behavior will also vary a bit depending on the tire, I've been digging the new Specialized tires but the tread placement is pretty square (casing is slightly wider than tread) so I prefer using them with slightly narrower 27mm rims.

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 20:35 Quote
kjbn wrote:
Simann wrote:
sayrius wrote:
I'd better go with cushcore. Better traction, better tire suspension. Can't really see the benefits of bubble wheels on a FS bike.


I second this strongly. I've ran 2.6 inch tires front and rear on a short travel bike and that makes a lot of sense but again they are super temperamental with pressures. On these longer travel bikes it just doesn't make that much sense to put such a volume is tire on there. Traction of a tire is multi factorial, can be influenced by multitude of factors.

I hate installing Cush Core. They should just call it "Satan's Inserts", every time I've had to replace a tire or install a new cush core it's just me with a big ass bottle of alcohol and cursing through the night.

The Tannus inserts are much easier to install and take out and give similar feel of support at about half the weight.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it actually does make sense so I'm likely going to keep my 2.5" front / 2.4" rear set up and add inserts.

Is there any cons running those on wider rims if I get a RaceFace R36 wheelset (36mm internal width) instead of my current Roval Traverse 29 (30mm internal width)?

Asking as the RF has some sweet Vault 424 hubs over the DT350 I'm running but I'm not sure if a 2.4" rear tire on a 36mm int / 43mm ext) is ideal as it's the limit when looking at the specs on their website (fits 2.4"-2.8" tires)

Why do you want the RF hub over the 350?

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 11:15 Quote
So what's everyone using for downtube protection? My new frame is finally in and I'm trying to decide if I should keep it or try something else for this season. The Sentinel has been tempting me

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 11:34 Quote
1stevenml wrote:
kjbn wrote:

Thanks for the feedback guys, it actually does make sense so I'm likely going to keep my 2.5" front / 2.4" rear set up and add inserts.

Is there any cons running those on wider rims if I get a RaceFace R36 wheelset (36mm internal width) instead of my current Roval Traverse 29 (30mm internal width)?

Asking as the RF has some sweet Vault 424 hubs over the DT350 I'm running but I'm not sure if a 2.4" rear tire on a 36mm int / 43mm ext) is ideal as it's the limit when looking at the specs on their website (fits 2.4"-2.8" tires)

Why do you want the RF hub over the 350?

I just liked the engagement better on the Vault 424

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 13:26 Quote
cmarwood wrote:
So what's everyone using for downtube protection? My new frame is finally in and I'm trying to decide if I should keep it or try something else for this season. The Sentinel has been tempting me

It's been discussed on every page of this thread, you'll easely find that info if you search a bit.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 2:32 Quote
Slightly geeky question. I've just ordered a new 2022 Stumpy Evo comp. The spec says it comes with a Float X performance shock, whereas the expert says it comes with a performance elite. I thought that Fox only made a Fox Performance Elite and a factory. Does Anyone know what spec the actual shock is on a 22 comp?

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 5:20 Quote
birnie wrote:
Slightly geeky question. I've just ordered a new 2022 Stumpy Evo comp. The spec says it comes with a Float X performance shock, whereas the expert says it comes with a performance elite. I thought that Fox only made a Fox Performance Elite and a factory. Does Anyone know what spec the actual shock is on a 22 comp?
Elite is similar to factory, but without fancy kashima coating. Regular Performance lacks LSC adjustment.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 6:38 Quote
sayrius wrote:
Has anyone tried mullet without changing the link? Just by keeping it in high bb position (pus maybe 170 up front)?
I did it the other way, had the mullet link with 29" wheels, raised the bb and felt fine to ride.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 6:43 Quote
sayrius wrote:
birnie wrote:
Slightly geeky question. I've just ordered a new 2022 Stumpy Evo comp. The spec says it comes with a Float X performance shock, whereas the expert says it comes with a performance elite. I thought that Fox only made a Fox Performance Elite and a factory. Does Anyone know what spec the actual shock is on a 22 comp?
Elite is similar to factory, but without fancy kashima coating. Regular Performance lacks LSC adjustment.
Nice one! thank you. Not too worries about LSC so that's brilliant.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 7:52 Quote
Did a quick easy unboxing video of my 2022 Stumpy EVO Expert, check it out if you want


Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 15:39 Quote
Hey gang. I need to replace the crown race for my '21 evo and can't remember the size needed. Does anyone have. that info handy? Unfortunately the bike isn't with me so I can't look at my lower headset bearing size to help.

Thank you!

Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 11:23 Quote
1.5 FSA aluminum.

Posted: Jan 31, 2022 at 8:36 Quote
birnie wrote:
sayrius wrote:
birnie wrote:
Slightly geeky question. I've just ordered a new 2022 Stumpy Evo comp. The spec says it comes with a Float X performance shock, whereas the expert says it comes with a performance elite. I thought that Fox only made a Fox Performance Elite and a factory. Does Anyone know what spec the actual shock is on a 22 comp?
Elite is similar to factory, but without fancy kashima coating. Regular Performance lacks LSC adjustment.
Nice one! thank you. Not too worries about LSC so that's brilliant.

I actually did this, not by choice, it was the only loaner wheel I could find while on vacation.. and I hated it.

High and slack geo settings

DISCLAIMER: I have a Cascade link installed

Posted: Feb 1, 2022 at 5:19 Quote
Lol^ I quoted the wrong post, meant to reference the 27.5 wheel on a non-mullet link Confused

Posted: Feb 1, 2022 at 8:16 Quote
bentin wrote:
1.5 FSA aluminum.

So many thank yous!


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007157
Mobile Version of Website