21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts

PB Forum :: Specialized
21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
Posted: Mar 24, 2022 at 14:39 Quote
chxnter wrote:
Anyone running the OneUp 240mm dropper yet? Oneup's calculator puts me and my S4 on the fence between a 210 or a 240 shimmed down to 220/230 and I really don't know which to choose to get the most slam out of my seat.

It's listed as 47mm deeper than my PNW 200 which is bottomed out in my S5, so for my 31" saddle to bb height, there's clearly no way I could make that work. If you're dealing with a 33" saddle height or higher, you should be fine, well after adjusting for the 20mm shorter insert length for the S4, you'd actually need to be closer to 34" from bb to top of the saddle.

Posted: Mar 25, 2022 at 0:57 Quote
chxnter wrote:
Anyone running the OneUp 240mm dropper yet? Oneup's calculator puts me and my S4 on the fence between a 210 or a 240 shimmed down to 220/230 and I really don't know which to choose to get the most slam out of my seat.
What's your distance from bb to seat-rails in cm?

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2022 at 7:40 Quote
troth50 wrote:
anyone use a 51mm offset fork? the shop that is building my bike is out of 44mm offset 36 forks but they do have 51mm. any thoughts on how this might effect the bike? also would a 38 in 160 or 170 be over kill?

Specialized (and basically all other modern-geo MTB manufacturers) spec's these with 44mm offset (42mm for Rock Shox) secondary to achieving more trail by running 29" wheels and slacker HTA's, all of this improves high speed stability. In short, lower fork offsets increase trail. And increasing fork offsets reduce trail.

Fun fact, smaller wheels have much less stability at higher speeds. This is why Rock Shox offers a 38mm offset to improve high speed stability for the 27.5" crowd.

For the SJ Evo, If you want to improve low speed stability and maneuverability, just swap the adjustable headset cup into the steep setting, this will effectively reduce trail and HTA, providing a noticeable improvement in low speed performance.

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2022 at 7:50 Quote
MikeG613 wrote:
Has anyone here directly compared the 21' - 22' Evo Expert vs a Hightower? I'm between these two. Also it seems the STJ has real frame cracking issues?

No, the SJ does not issues. A few hard hitters running too much sag went mach-chicken into rock gardens. Those pictures hit a few forums and word spreads like wildfire. If you are skeptical, just add a piece of thin malleable foam under the factory bolt-on rock guard. Frankly, with my own eyes I have seen far more Santa Cruz triangles replaced than I've ever seen from Specialized.

My advice to preventing frame cracks: 99.75% of us are not sponsored professional riders, we don't need to ride like we are against the clock. Walk the trail sections, remove loose rocks and debris, find a good line or two, and then ride the section.

The hightower is a great bike, no doubt. But the specialized ticks all the boxes. Climbs better, can run a coil shock (no interference from frame), internal frame storage, much more adjustable geometry.

Posted: Mar 26, 2022 at 14:39 Quote
Simann wrote:
MikeG613 wrote:
Has anyone here directly compared the 21' - 22' Evo Expert vs a Hightower? I'm between these two. Also it seems the STJ has real frame cracking issues?

No, the SJ does not issues. A few hard hitters running too much sag went mach-chicken into rock gardens. Those pictures hit a few forums and word spreads like wildfire. If you are skeptical, just add a piece of thin malleable foam under the factory bolt-on rock guard. Frankly, with my own eyes I have seen far more Santa Cruz triangles replaced than I've ever seen from Specialized.

My advice to preventing frame cracks: 99.75% of us are not sponsored professional riders, we don't need to ride like we are against the clock. Walk the trail sections, remove loose rocks and debris, find a good line or two, and then ride the section.

The hightower is a great bike, no doubt. But the specialized ticks all the boxes. Climbs better, can run a coil shock (no interference from frame), internal frame storage, much more adjustable geometry.
I’m not sure I have ever heard that the stumpjumper is a good climber

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2022 at 17:04 Quote
MikeG613 wrote:
Simann wrote:
MikeG613 wrote:

You don't buy a SJ Evo for its climbing prowess, but I will tell you from personal experience, it climbs just as good as my 2020 Tallboy ever did. VPP is nothing to write home about...

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2022 at 20:32 Quote
MikeG613 wrote:

Having had both a HT2 and a '21 Stumpjumper Evo, I thought the Evo climbed better than the Hightower. I like the more solid and beefy frame on the Santa Cruz but never had any issues with the Evo frame and I rode it proper all over Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming.

Posted: Mar 26, 2022 at 22:29 Quote
What do you ride now ?

Posted: Mar 27, 2022 at 1:13 Quote
MikeG613 wrote:

It also depends what you mean with ‘a good climber’. With the shock open, the evo seems more focused on traction than pure efficiency. It’s more a question of preference, but the evo is by no means a pig on the uphills.

If you use the climb switch, the evo doesn’t bob at all. So for longer climbs, it’s as efficient as any other bike in this category.

Posted: Mar 27, 2022 at 8:20 Quote
MikeG613 wrote:

Coming from a '19 Sentinel, the '21 SJ Evo climbs like a goat. There are definitely better bikes out there if all you are doing is climbing but the SJ Evo also rips. So......

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2022 at 9:49 Quote
MikeG613 wrote:
What do you ride now ?

I've got a Spur and just finished building a '21 Stumpjumper with the flex stays. Pretty similar bikes but the Spur just isnt enough bike for what i want everyday, and i missed the SWAT storage.

Posted: Mar 27, 2022 at 10:40 Quote
Anyone changed the bearings on a carbon stumpy evo yet? Looking for advice on how to remove the double row bearings in the chainstay with the spacer inbetween. Do they both come out from one side?

Also, I cant access the main pivot bearings as the internal cable guide hose prevent the chainstay from being moved away from the front triangle.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2022 at 21:50 Quote
Finally got mine built up... need to break out the real camera to get some beauty shots.... but went for a ride instead... needs a few tweaks here and there (trim the lines, tighten the XT clutch), but otherwise, I dig it. SWAT really is a game changer, and this thing makes me feel like an enduro racer.

Posted: Mar 28, 2022 at 3:34 Quote
Hi all, I've only had 2 rides on my new ST evo and loving it. The SWAT storage is amazing...but my SWAT bag or tools in the bag rattle like mad when things get bumpy. Has anyone had the same issues, and any tips to silence it? I put my CO2 cartridge and levers in a soft tool bag, and then put them in the SWAT bag, but it almost seems like it's the bag that is rattling in the downtube.

Posted: Mar 28, 2022 at 4:03 Quote
Yeah I shoved a car sponge up there. Running 2 swat bags though so you might need 2 sponges!

Active Forum Threads
6 mins ago - Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
7 mins ago - 2023 Transition Smuggler... is it real?
10 mins ago - Who is running a 2021 Fox 36 831?
14 mins ago - Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
21 mins ago - Has anyone ridden the new We Are One Arrival 170?
24 mins ago - Giant Reign 29er 2020
29 mins ago - ENDURO KENEVO DESDE SPAIN
30 mins ago - YT Capra Owners
30 mins ago - stuck between models
31 mins ago - Gear cable length
34 mins ago - Ripmo AF Thread
40 mins ago - Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
51 mins ago - Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
1 hours ago - Report Scammers on Pinkbike HERE *Read 1st Post* then contact captainbringdown directly
3 hours ago - Badge progress
3 hours ago - Slow air leak after shock rebuild - looking for ideas
3 hours ago - Frames with water bottle mounts?
4 hours ago - 100 (or more) days of biking in 2023!
5 hours ago - +256702530886 #twins Pregnancy spells caste,r and fertility spells to help you conceive a child of your own
5 hours ago - +256702530886 win Court Cases spells caster +256702530886WIN COURT CASE QUICKLY
5 hours ago - +256702530886 #twins Pregnancy spells caster and fertility spells to help you conceive a child of your own Florida
5 hours ago - How to join illuminati occult for money ritual in +256783573282Al Ahmadi EDINBURGH Canada and USA%+256783573282
5 hours ago - Fertility Spells Get Pregnant now +256783573282 VOODOO, WITCHCRAFT AND BLACK MAGIC
6 hours ago - Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
6 hours ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013156
Mobile Version of Website