Winter flat pedal shoes?

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Winter flat pedal shoes?
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 17:46 Quote
What's out there? It's snowing and I'm sick of my toes going numb. All I can seem to find is the Freerider EPS, which looks okay but at least a high top might be nice to keep the snow out...

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 19:26 Quote
ryetoast wrote:
What's out there? It's snowing and I'm sick of my toes going numb. All I can seem to find is the Freerider EPS, which looks okay but at least a high top might be nice to keep the snow out...

Pearl Izumi makes a waterproof, thermal, high-top shoe cover. It's available from Pearl Izumi or any of the online retailers (Competitive Cyclist, Jensons, etc). No need to pay full price as Pearl Izumi products are frequently discounted. I purchased a pair last year and was glad I did. They're made for flats and for clipless, so make sure you choose the correct ones.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 21:42 Quote
I just use some North Face winter boots. Were about $90 and have been ok the last few winters.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 6:31 Quote
husstler wrote:
I just use some North Face winter boots. Were about $90 and have been ok the last few winters.

Same, I have a pair of North Face goretex’y winter hikers I use with flat pedals, also swapped out the studs on my Chester’s for longer so I get great bite into the winter treads on my boots.

The guys I ride with all have heated insoles in their boots. Also consider going to a plastic pedal to reduce heat transfer, metal cleats are great way to suck heat out of your feet and boots.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 17:11 Quote
I just got a pair of the 45NRTH Wolvhammer BOA boots, which appears to have the best sole for flats and comes with a nice toasty innder bladder. You can still run clipless with these, but unlike other winter riding boots, these do not have deep lugs and will engage pedal pins better. I have to wait for the other size to arrive before I pedal with the one I will keep, but I hope it lasts for a long time since they are pricey.

I don't like the BOA dial too much becuse there is some half-flange that encircles it, which makes it tricky to turn the dial. Defeats the easy peasy purpose of BOA lacing IMHO.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 4:45 Quote
i use toe warmers in my 5-10's all winter. never have an issue

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 10:18 Quote
ryetoast wrote:

I am gonna change your life:
My wife had the same problem and she was starting dropping winter cycling until she bought "SPATZ 'Roadman 2' Super-Thermo Reflective Overshoes with Kevlar." It's about £80/90

Let me know Wink

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 13:02 Quote
joe1010 wrote:
ryetoast wrote:

I am gonna change your life:
My wife had the same problem and she was starting dropping winter cycling until she bought "SPATZ 'Roadman 2' Super-Thermo Reflective Overshoes with Kevlar." It's about £80/90

Let me know Wink

Looks great- if you wear clipless. I think despite the velcro cut out flaps, pedal pins will rip up the margins in no time.

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
leftypumpkin wrote:
husstler wrote:

Same, I have a pair of North Face goretex’y winter hikers I use with flat pedals, also swapped out the studs on my Chester’s for longer so I get great bite into the winter treads on my boots.

The guys I ride with all have heated insoles in their boots. Also consider going to a plastic pedal to reduce heat transfer, metal cleats are great way to suck heat out of your feet and boots.

Another vote on North Face boots, mine are a few years old, but they look similar to the Chillkat boot they have now. I also cut out a double layer piece of tin foil, and have it underneath the insole. This is similar concept to the Superfeet Redhot insoles. Cant say if that does much, but the boots have been great on long rides, about -10° or so and it’s pretty tolerable. They don’t seem too bulky either, and not bad post holing through the snow either.

Posted: Nov 28, 2020 at 18:03 Quote
Mukluks work well when it gets colder out, say below minus 15 or so. Not too heavy, not too bulky and the soft rubber soles grip pedal studs really well. I'd recommend putting some stiff insoles in.

https://www.mukluks.com/Arctic/productinfo/AR+M/#.X8L_b5kTE0M

Posted: Dec 5, 2020 at 3:46 Quote
Chemical toe warmers. When finished put them in a zip-lock bag and suck the air out of the bag to reuse toe warmers for the next ride. Also a pair of heavy duty hiking gaiters over the top of hiking boots and lower leg work wonders too.

Posted: Dec 27, 2020 at 14:45 Quote
Vans hi top insulated shoes, Ive been using them last two winters and as long as im not post holing a lot in deep snow y feet stay comfortable. they are not the most warm but they work into teens if you don't bury your feet a lot. they grip pedals pretty good too

O+
Posted: Dec 27, 2020 at 15:57 Quote
Some good suggestions on here! What I ended up with was...no joke...waterproof lace-up Ugg boots. They are warm, light, comfortable, super grippy on the pedals with the soft foam sole, and the waterproofing is no joke especially after you slap on a coat of Sno Seal. (Plus, when worn under hiking gaiters, they make you look like you're on your way to WWI reenactment. Very chic.) They are stupidly expensive at MSRP and will probably wear out fast... but that's also true of my Five Tens. Highly recommended especially if you're basic enough to want to wear them to work, too.

O+
Posted: Dec 27, 2020 at 19:28 Quote
ryetoast wrote:
Some good suggestions on here! What I ended up with was...no joke...waterproof lace-up Ugg boots. They are warm, light, comfortable, super grippy on the pedals with the soft foam sole, and the waterproofing is no joke especially after you slap on a coat of Sno Seal. (Plus, when worn under hiking gaiters, they make you look like you're on your way to WWI reenactment. Very chic.) They are stupidly expensive at MSRP and will probably wear out fast... but that's also true of my Five Tens. Highly recommended especially if you're basic enough to want to wear them to work, too.

Like the ones Giselle and Tawm wear?

Posted: Jan 1, 2021 at 10:34 Quote
Columbia Fairbanks! Fairly flat sole with smaller lugs that grab the pedal pins relatively well. They are lightweight and very warm, been down to -20 F with a vapor barrier system and toasty warm feet! Size up a full size and pro tip, don’t cinch the laces too tight. I can get down to 25 F in a pair of 510 Impacts by just snugging the laces w a medium weight wool sock.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011961
Mobile Version of Website