Leatt adventure body protection

PB Forum :: Downhill
Leatt adventure body protection
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 24, 2020 at 5:16 Quote
Im planning to buy a sturdy protection for downhill biking.

Has anyone any experience of this:

https://www.mtbr.com/product/mtb-apparel-and-protection/armor-and-pads/leatt/adventure-body-protector.html

I was buying a fox titan sport but it is not compatiblr with neck brace.

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 at 8:14 Quote
I have this Fox armor. And I would not but it again or any kind of full body armor again due to a couple of reasons.

1) Its very hot wearing them. Even in chilly weather I was sweating hard and it made me feel very heavy.

2) It makes you over confident which may result in a hard crash

3) it restricts movement

Only plus of this armor is when I ride new gnarly stuff or some big hits.

I would strongly recommend geting just a vest with shoulder protection, elbow and knee&shin pads. You will feel like a butterfly in these stuff comparing to full upper body suit.

Its just my opinion but armor takes away the flow you can have on a trail and gives you back a feeling of an armored turtle instead.

Neck brace is a different topic. If you are aiming for some hard downhill riding on the edge of your grip then go for it. Btw look at DH World cup and look what they wear. If not then its an over kill imo.

Posted: Nov 24, 2020 at 17:15 Quote
chory wrote:
I have this Fox armor. And I would not but it again or any kind of full body armor again due to a couple of reasons.

1) Its very hot wearing them. Even in chilly weather I was sweating hard and it made me feel very heavy.

3) it restricts movement

I would strongly recommend geting just a vest with shoulder protection, elbow and knee&shin pads. You will feel like a butterfly in these stuff comparing to full upper body suit.

Its just my opinion but armor takes away the flow you can have on a trail and gives you back a feeling of an armored turtle instead.

Neck brace is a different topic. If you are aiming for some hard downhill riding on the edge of your grip then go for it. Btw look at DH World cup and look what they wear. If not then its an over kill imo.

Well said. I will add though:

4) shoulder protection is basically useless, so there´s no reason to even go for a full upper body suit. Shoulder pads on a protector suit do not stay in place in case of a crash anyways and can not protect you from breaking bones. Once you hit shoulder first, almost your whole body weight will push through whatever bones take the impact and no amount of padding, besides maybe a full american football pad, will protect you in that case. There´s a reason those AF pads are that massive.
Spine, elbow and knee, should be the basics. Chest if wanted or needed is recommended.
Before going for shoulder pads though, which in case of a crash are only going to prevent abrasions to some extent, i´d rather go for some more abdominal protection and protection around the lower rib area.
These areas are often ignored, but a ruptured organ or broken rib puncturing your lung can be a really bad time and it´s rather easy to protect them effectively with armor. So i would trade shoulder pads for that any day.

Cherck out the Leatt upper body protectors. I´ve got the 4.5 because i don´t like massive amounts of protection, but if you want something with good coverage the 5.5 may be of interest.
The good thing about those kinds of protectors is, you can easily take them off at the car or during a gondola ride up to cool down a little. Not getting cooked in your own juices is something too many people ignore. It keeps your head clear and more focused during riding, further limiting the risk of crashes.
I have ridden in full suits for many years and the difference is remarkable. In hindsight, on warm days, riding felt more like battling the inevitable heat stroke rather than focusing on riding.

Oh and another important thing. Those suits with neckbrace integration are kind of useless unless worn as an outer layer. If you want to wear a jersey on top of your suit while still using the Leatt mounts, you´d have to cut your Jersey. It can be done, but is rather tedious, so keep that in mind.
When using a neckbrace, i would definitely make sure my upper body armour has some sort of fixation points for the brace, as the straps are rather uncomfortable and restricting in my opinion and running a brace without any straps is just annoying as it flops all over the place.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 2:10 Quote
Loki87 wrote:
chory wrote:

3) it restricts movement

Well said. I will add though:

4) shoulder protection is basically useless, so there´s no reason to even go for a full upper body suit. Shoulder pads on a protector suit do not stay in place in case of a crash anyways and can not protect you from breaking bones. Once you hit shoulder first, almost your whole body weight will push through whatever bones take the impact and no amount of padding, besides maybe a full american football pad, will protect you in that case. There´s a reason those AF pads are that massive.
Spine, elbow and knee, should be the basics. Chest if wanted or needed is recommended.
Before going for shoulder pads though, which in case of a crash are only going to prevent abrasions to some extent, i´d rather go for some more abdominal protection and protection around the lower rib area.
These areas are often ignored, but a ruptured organ or broken rib puncturing your lung can be a really bad time and it´s rather easy to protect them effectively with armor. So i would trade shoulder pads for that any day.

Cherck out the Leatt upper body protectors. I´ve got the 4.5 because i don´t like massive amounts of protection, but if you want something with good coverage the 5.5 may be of interest.
The good thing about those kinds of protectors is, you can easily take them off at the car or during a gondola ride up to cool down a little. Not getting cooked in your own juices is something too many people ignore. It keeps your head clear and more focused during riding, further limiting the risk of crashes.
I have ridden in full suits for many years and the difference is remarkable. In hindsight, on warm days, riding felt more like battling the inevitable heat stroke rather than focusing on riding.

Oh and another important thing. Those suits with neckbrace integration are kind of useless unless worn as an outer layer. If you want to wear a jersey on top of your suit while still using the Leatt mounts, you´d have to cut your Jersey. It can be done, but is rather tedious, so keep that in mind.
When using a neckbrace, i would definitely make sure my upper body armour has some sort of fixation points for the brace, as the straps are rather uncomfortable and restricting in my opinion and running a brace without any straps is just annoying as it flops all over the place.

I have to strongly disagree about the shoulder protection. I’ve worn assorted Leatt body tees with shoulder protection for the past 4 years and the shoulder protection has stayed in place every single crash and in some cases saved me from serious injuries. I also don’t notice any difference in mobility between riding with and without a leatt body tee.

Unless you’re wearing really tight race fit tops you shouldn’t need to cut your jersey to fit a leatt brace with a leatt chest protector. Your jersey should be able to fit naturally or stretch enough to fit around the brace and hold it down without any problems. I will agree that you need to use the straps that come with the brace to hold it in the right position, because on steeper trails if you don’t have the straps for the brace on the brace can reduce mobility and make it harder to tilt your head far enough to see properly.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 4:30 Quote
thanks for the advise. I was also thinking that maybe that kind of protection is too heavy for bikepark. maybe i will find something lighter.

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 12:15 Quote
I picked up the leatt 3df airfit hybrid this year and really like it. Pretty pricey but a nice piece of protective equipment. I have gotten used to riding DH with it and really don’t feel like it hinders me, and on the lifts I unzip it under my jersey to air out. To me I think if you’re buying a higher end product you’ll be surprised how nice they are. I have notice more people wearing upper body armor and pros too when you really look at photos. There are options out there that offer decent protection without being restrictive.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005259
Mobile Version of Website