Lights

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 10:00 Quote
What lights are people using. I have one for my handlebars which is ok for low light and on roads but looking for ones for my helmet and bars when it gets dark. Don't have the greatest budget right now so not looking to spend £200 + on a single light. What do people suggest?

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 11:29 Quote
Oakesey -
I snagged a set of Niterider mi-newts X2 duals on e/bay for pretty cheap. No joke like $25usd....

There is a battery pack that I strap to the bars on my Stinky5 (or the headtube on my road bike...) and I can mount the lamps as far apart from each other between the grips as I want. They have worked like a champ and give off good light.

like a double version of this set here but two lamps running off one battery pack...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NR-Nite-Rider-MiNewt-X2-LED-Light-without-Battery-Pack/224246471994?hash=item3436219d3a%3Ag%3Ayt4AAOSwGLVfu-zA&LH_ItemCondition=3000

Here is a pic of them mounted on my old stem/bar combo. I would strap the batt pack to the top of the stem. I have a wider set of bars and a shorter stem so I can position the lights out a bit wider, and I strap the batt pack to the bars in close to the stem (hopefully you can picture that...lol)

photo

O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 7:39 Quote
All depends on your riding speed for nighttime imo. If you are not an aggressive rider and do short, sub 1 hour rides you can probably get away with a cheaper handlebar mount light and it will be enough for you.
If you want to ride as fast downhill at night as you do during the day, hitting 30-35mph you need big lights and multiple lights which will be expensive. For aggressive riding a high output handlebar mount light and a helmet light are pretty much a must have. The handlebar will give you the constant light but you won’t be able to see around corners when you are really moving, this is where the helmet light comes into play and is really a must have for night riding.

Outbound lighting makes great lights, solid runtimes and high output until the battery is about to die. A good quality rechargeable light will last you many years of riding, it’s hard to spend $3-400 on lights but it’s a good investment if it gets you on the trails.

Another thing to note is night riding is not for everyone. If you have a friend with lights maybe borrow them for a ride to see if it’s for you. It sounds great in theory but when you get 5-10 miles out of town and it’s dark, cold and something is moving in the bushes it can be a bit stressful.

O+ FL
Posted: Dec 12, 2020 at 15:14 Quote
I have many hours on a pair of EBay night eyes (link below). If you search around you can find a flood lens for them on eBay as well. Put the flood on the bars and a spot on the helmet, great setup for around $75 bucks! Ran this for a few years until I finally went the outbound lights setup this season. I have a sore flood lens actually, shoot me a pm and I’ll send it to you if you go this route.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Night-Eyes-1200-Lumens-Mountain-Bike-Headlight-Bike-LED-Light-Rechargeable/373333742300?epid=22039050956&hash=item56ec6cd2dc:g:8ukAAOSwWgNfrL1J

Posted: Dec 26, 2020 at 3:51 Quote
Your favorite bike will be design specially this was your feeling every time. for decoration we can use LED. available waterproof LED's and branded one if you select from best store.

https://fommy.com/collections/led

O+
Posted: Dec 28, 2020 at 9:11 Quote
I picked up a couple NiteRider Lumina 1800s to do dawn patrol rides when Covid first hit and I have been impressed. They give great light in a useful pattern and are completely self contained, so no wires and external batteries to muck with. Plus, they are not very expensive.

O+
Posted: Dec 28, 2020 at 10:23 Quote
p0is0n0ak wrote:
I picked up a couple NiteRider Lumina 1800s to do dawn patrol rides when Covid first hit and I have been impressed. They give great light in a useful pattern and are completely self contained, so no wires and external batteries to muck with. Plus, they are not very expensive.

Agree, have the 1200 version and they are good lights. Really comes down to runtime. If you want an hour of max lumens, get a self contained light and avoid the faff of external battery packs. If you want 2-3 hours of mac lighting you will likely need a light with external battery.

Posted: May 22, 2021 at 16:49 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
p0is0n0ak wrote:

Agree, have the 1200 version and they are good lights. Really comes down to runtime. If you want an hour of max lumens, get a self contained light and avoid the faff of external battery packs. If you want 2-3 hours of mac lighting you will likely need a light with external battery.
Just looking up stuff about lights, and found this. Those NiteRider lights are fantastic. I actually have both those lights you mentioned. I have the Dual 1800-boost, and the OLED 1200-boost.

The OLED 1200 is certainly better for the road, but the Dual 1800 works a bit better for trails and off-road night rides.
We just recently did a late night-ride on a trail we often ride during the daytime. very secluded in parts and in remote rural areas, pitch black at night. On MY bike I had for this ride mounted both 1800 and 1200. I would say the 1200 would be fine for some non-aggressive off-road riding, in fact it's better and brighter than many lights available, and I actually like the LED screen features. Pattern though is more suited for road and community paths but still you basically see everything in high setting np.
The 1800 is wider and really shows more power and capability in the woods, lights up everything with wider angle. On our ride tuesday night I didn't use high modes often on these, and most of the ride was very well lit with the Dual 1800 on medium by itself. That light is very well designed I think and really impresses me at how powerful it is for the price, I think it was like under $200, maybe $170 or $180?

I got these because I didn't want lights w/an external battery pack like I've been using on my HTs. For self contained I'd say this is as close to as bright as you'll find. Still, could really do in a pinch with the MEDIUM mode of that 1800 AND the battery lasts like another hour in that mode.

~JSV

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2021 at 7:42 Quote
I have 2 Bright Eyes lights. 1600 lumen on helmet, 1200 lumen on bars. They offer plenty of light and at full price you won’t spend over $120, even with shipping. They also offer a 1800 lumen light for $85.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011139
Mobile Version of Website