What brand would you like to see make a comeback?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
What brand would you like to see make a comeback?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 10:48 Quote
If any bike brand could rise from the ashes (and not as a slap-on decal for Pacific or another multinational), which one would you want to see?

A few to get the ideas flowing...

Turner
Rotec
Tomac
Maverick
Balfa

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 13:15 Quote
X-LITE

Rex Trimmel I believe was the fellas name, did some wonderful stuff,
always got me saving up for the trick bits back in the day.

COVE bikes seem redundant of late, and there website is out
of action, not sure whats happening there, so a pick up for them.

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 16:43 Quote
Karpiel, it would be especially awesome if they paired with Marzocchi to release a modern Super Monster with 300mm travel

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 19:34 Quote
Klein
Gary Fisher
Titus
Bridgestone
Ross
Bontrager

Sad, TREK killed 3 of them, hate TREK

Also non bike

Pontiac - had a 25th anniversary Trans Am back in the day, great car.

FL
Posted: Nov 28, 2020 at 10:07 Quote
When I was a kid the Mountain Cycle San Andreas looked amazing, these days I understand how flawed the frame technology was because of bearings etc. but the disc brakes and Syncros parts were totally out of this world to a 13 year old who was riding a 5 speed Raleigh Mustang at the time!

I’d love to see an updated (geo/spec) version of this with the technology from Atherton bikes or Pole used to update it.
Mountain Cycle San Andreas 1992

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 7:14 Quote
Brooklyn Machine Works

Posted: Dec 4, 2020 at 21:01 Quote
I'm old. ...So I know that nostalgia can be poisonous, and trying to recreate the past usually just ends in embarrassment. Even if you get the original folks who made things magical back in the day, they are usually too far-removed from what originally drove them, and out of touch with what made them a success in the first place.

Were the Star Wars prequels a "comeback"? Was anyone who remembered the original Ibis impressed with the cynical relaunch?

"Scot's still involved, but this time his *edgy* humor is punching down, instead of up! They have carbon fiber bikes that are made in China, but are extra-lumpy and double extra expensive because design? That sounds amazing! I'm going to do an extra 3 unnecessary root canals and expose myself to 4 additional sedated patients this week in celebration!" - every dentist.

I remember when GT was cool, and made great products. In Southern California! I remember when Grant Peterson made Bridgestone a cool young-weird brand before he decided to go grampa-weird with Rivendell. (I guess I'm not old enough yet?)

Merlin? Fat Chance? Xprezo? Maverick? Yeti? Santa Cruz? Half of those names are still in use, but they aren't the same companies, and aren't doing anything interesting (IMO) anymore.

I just don't see any way of realistically recapturing the magic.

I only have one idea that could be a semi-realistic return to cool, interesting, innovative bike stuff:

1. Raise a bunch of cash (it would probably have to be at least ~$100 million USD to be feasible)
2. Buy the Schwinn Bicycle Company trademarks and associated IP assets.
3. Build a factory in/near Chicago - possibly even buying out Waterford and expanding their factory.
4. Put Anna Schwinn in charge as the CEO.
5. PROFIT!

FL
Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 6:21 Quote
Heywood165 wrote:
When I was a kid the Mountain Cycle San Andreas looked amazing, these days I understand how flawed the frame technology was because of bearings etc. but the disc brakes and Syncros parts were totally out of this world to a 13 year old who was riding a 5 speed Raleigh Mustang at the time!

Where did you get that picture?

FL
Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 9:00 Quote
baulz wrote:
Heywood165 wrote:

Where did you get that picture?
It was on Google, best picture I could find at short notice. I think it was off http://retrobike.co.uk.

FL
Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 9:25 Quote
Was just curious, that is my old basement workshop.

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 21:52 Quote
baulz wrote:
Was just curious, that is my old basement workshop.

Oh, yeah? Prove it! What beer is in that glass?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.050446
Mobile Version of Website