Bomb Proof Rims for 29er

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 19:47 Quote
Hi All,

First of all, my riding style is to ride a big Enduro bike fast on everything (some XC loops but a lot of single and double black DH)

Im looking for a reasonably weighted but bomb proof alloy rim after my bitterly disappointing experience with the Hope Pro Fortus 26 rim (in 29" size.. confusing I know) which is touted as an enduro rim capable of coping with rock gardens (spoiler alert, it is not). Where despite the 30psi in a 2.5 DD casing aggressor, flat spotted significantly (through the tyre as there were no visible marks to the rim).

Im currently looking at the Hope Pro Fortus 30 (touted as their DH rim but its heavy at 720g) or the potentially better option of the DT Swiss FR560.

Is there anything else out there that people would recommend?

It needs to be a reasonable weight (high 500's to low 700's in terms of grams) and reasonable cost / availability. Noting that this will be ridden on things other than DH tracks as well. (Im not going Flows ever again, they are made of cheese)

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 21:08 Quote
I have Race Face Arc 30 HD rims. I weigh 250 all geared up and ride pretty aggressively. The rims haven’t had any issues with 23f/27r psi. I did have to put an insert in the rear though because I was getting flats. They aren’t the lightest but they are strong as hell and pretty affordable.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 22:22 Quote
gafoto wrote:
Race Face Arc 30 HD

An excellent choice. I'm a fan of the offset.

Hunt's Downhill Privateer is too narrow for my taste, but it's stout.

Haven't heard feedback on WTB's HTZ yet. The inward-arcing bead lips are a bit of a concern, but they're plenty thick. Great offset and interesting design. Not light.

O+
Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 4:04 Quote
I just "fixed" a 4mm flat spot on the older Hope Tech Enduro 35W rear rim. But that rim is soft as fudge...

I've had pretty good experiences on the WTB Asym i29 TCS2 running them with Kenda EMC casing rear, 30psi and 225-230lbs.
Also the Spank 350 Vibrocore rims have been super sturdy. Could go 359 Vibrocore rear to stiffen it up even more if you want to go down that route.

Then a few weeks ago I build a 29er enduro set for a 220lbs rider that wanted a sturdy set. Picked the brain from a master wheelbuilder and he said I/he should go with the french Duke Fury Star 6TERS asym rims. Hands down the best quality and easiest build that I have had in my hands. The superb quality from Spank and the asym like WTB/RaceFace rims. Looking forward to hear some reviews from him.

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 4:14 Quote
Hope rims are 6061. If people find a rim to be "soft", it's usually 6061. 6069 and some other alloys used for rims are significantly stronger.

O+
Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 12:42 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Hope rims are 6061. If people find a rim to be "soft", it's usually 6061. 6069 and some other alloys used for rims are significantly stronger.

thats actually a very good point, I should have checked the material grade (rather than expecting a trusted brand to get it right). It will not happen again.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 12:55 Quote
I quite the rim dinger even with tire inserts.
List of casualties:
EX511
EX3 Flow
MK3 Flow
E1700
CB Iodine (super soft)

Shockingly the one rim i have yet to dent (even running on a flat with insert in nasty chunk) is the Sun Ringle Duroc 35 Comp. Those things are so strong...i think i have one spot where it looked like it wanted to dent but changed it's mind. The set is on the heavy side but seems to be worth it. Hard to find a good rim that won't buckle on me.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 13:07 Quote
Interesting feedback on the Düroc. Maybe the uncommonly low section height provides enough flex to reduce the localized force ... ?

There's also an SD version of the rim with thicker bead hooks.

O+
Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 14:53 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Interesting feedback on the Düroc. Maybe the uncommonly low section height provides enough flex to reduce the localized force ... ?

There's also an SD version of the rim with thicker bead hooks.

I bought the wheelset for $137 and they have been flawless aside from being a bit heavy...but I'll take the durability over the weight penalty.

If the SD are stronger then count me in.

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 15:02 Quote
A $137 wheelset that meets your needs better than a host of others is a good purchase!

I can't personally attest to the strength of the SD version, but the bead hooks certainly are thicker and the weight difference isn't bad at 80 g per rim.

photo
photo

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 4:42 Quote
meSSican wrote:
Shockingly the one rim i have yet to dent (even running on a flat with insert in nasty chunk) is the Sun Ringle Duroc 35 Comp. Those things are so strong...i think i have one spot where it looked like it wanted to dent but changed it's mind. The set is on the heavy side but seems to be worth it. Hard to find a good rim that won't buckle on me.

interestingly enough I have a Duroc 35 wheelset on my hardtail and found this thread while looking for a recommendation on a stronger wheelset.

I'm running 29" x 2.6" and when I get lazy and run the pressure a bit too low, I've dinged the bead area rim 2x to the point where it wouldn't hold air. fixed both times with a c-clamp and block of wood, but found many other smaller dings during each repair.

looking at the DT swiss FR560 hoop to replace the Duroc on the rear

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 12:49 Quote
dsciulli19 wrote:
meSSican wrote:

interestingly enough I have a Duroc 35 wheelset on my hardtail and found this thread while looking for a recommendation on a stronger wheelset.

I'm running 29" x 2.6" and when I get lazy and run the pressure a bit too low, I've dinged the bead area rim 2x to the point where it wouldn't hold air. fixed both times with a c-clamp and block of wood, but found many other smaller dings during each repair.

looking at the DT swiss FR560 hoop to replace the Duroc on the rear

The DT FR would be a strong hoop. I guess hitting the right rock at the right time could be bad. I've dented an EX511 up front but that was from landing on the only rock .

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 17:11 Quote
ended up going the FR560 on the rear.. has held up to a lot of abuse so far.
just after installing the FR560 to the rear after destroying the Hope Pro Fortus 26 on the rear in 2 rides.

Posted: Jul 19, 2021 at 20:56 Quote
If fr560 won't hold, honestly nothing will

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014328
Mobile Version of Website