Pads for youth

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 12:54 Quote
Good Evening MTB community! I’m curious as to what elbow and knee pads you have found to be worth your money as relates to your kids and mountain biking. My son is 9 and growing in the sport but we are looking to keep him protected. I’ve taken a look at some options from G Form and Fox but I’m curious as to what others are using and any details around sizing selected. Appreciate any feedback related to the topic! Thank you!

Posted: Nov 27, 2020 at 18:27 Quote
MAH347 wrote:
Good Evening MTB community! I’m curious as to what elbow and knee pads you have found to be worth your money as relates to your kids and mountain biking. My son is 9 and growing in the sport but we are looking to keep him protected. I’ve taken a look at some options from G Form and Fox but I’m curious as to what others are using and any details around sizing selected. Appreciate any feedback related to the topic! Thank you!
I personally use IXS kneepads, either xl or l, and I don't have particularly large legs so an xs or a small might fit him. They are more expensive than some other options so if he's still growing then they may not be the best.
I also know a kid (maybe 15?) who's quite thin and he likes the g-forms. He told me when I asked him that they work but they aren't super cushiony.
Trying kneepads on (or at least being able to return them) when buying them is a must though because brands fit very differently.

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 4:55 Quote
G Forms makes a youth specific knee pads. I’m not sure about anything else.

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 12:38 Quote
what terrain is he riding?

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 18:09 Quote
MrZ32 wrote:

Nothing crazy as of yet, mountain bike trails in the area and pump tracks.

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 18:42 Quote
MAH347 wrote:
MrZ32 wrote:

Nothing crazy as of yet, mountain bike trails in the area and pump tracks.

tbh, Im not that impressed by G-Form, not heavy enough duty however, for easy stuff they are fine and arent too bulky i guess but best thing to do is go to your LBS to try different stuff and see what fits tem best and get them to run around the shop with it on to see if it slides down (as all different brands fit differently).

You arent going to go wring Leatt, IXS , TLD, fox, etc as they all do fairly decent stuff for lighter duty items at a price point that isnt ridiculous (just go soft shell armour).

POC is the gear i love and is CE2 certified (motorcycle level certification), I can do 30km rides in it (granted it is hotter , heavier, bulkier and more expensive than most of the competition.. but this is more for serious trail riding to DH use.

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 18:58 Quote
My son is 4 and I just bought him fox launch pro elbow and knee pads. They seem to be a good mix between flexible and firm enough to protect him. He’s taken a few spills already and I haven’t gotten a complaint.

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 9:25 Quote
I'm very new to mountain biking, but went with POC pads for myself and POCito (POC's kid line) for my 9-year-old daughter based on confidence in the brand from experience with their (fantastic) snow sports stuff.

POC (including POCito) uses arm/leg circumference measurement for sizing, and based on the pads I bought myself and the ones I bought my daughter, their sizing is right on.

The POCito kids' pads are the same pads for knees and elbows, just (usually) different sizes. I was skeptical, but it works because they use an impact-hardening foam that is flexible enough to be comfortable either spot.

We went for an hour and a half yesterday and she had no complaints about the comfort of the pads.

The impact-hardening foam POC uses (VPD) is flexible enough, and the pads are well-designed enough, that I pretty much forgot I was wearing mine.

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 at 15:05 Quote
I don't know if anybody's said this already, but if you go with g-form they do run small. My youngest brother is a medium in most things but wears an extra-large in g-form kneepads. He is 10 and 70 pounds for reference. But even though their sizing is messed up, they are really comfortable.

Posted: Dec 18, 2020 at 15:52 Quote
I'm a 12 year old kid and I use the Fox youth pads D30

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005610
Mobile Version of Website